AED + Dhruva ported Boss IM + E85

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
[video=youtube;u46hUUDYVwo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u46hUUDYVwo[/video]

Before anyone says anything about the numbers, just look at the gains. This dyno is a heartbreaker, but it's very consistent. It also completely fools the stability control into thinking you're on the road, so you know what the real world gains will be.

Comparing:
X pipe on stock tune

X pipe on canned tune

X pipe, ported Boss intake manifold, Airaid, E85, and custom AED tune on the final

D8D0A88E-CF64-4FE7-AAC9-9B4785B3BFE6_zps4gffrpxm.jpg

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I'm doing a few tune experiments with Shaun, but the drag strip is on the short list.

Rich D

Large Member
Established Member
Mustang Dynos read low because they put load based on the vehicles weight.

But you lost 14 ft-lbs after the ported manifold, new tune and e85?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Airaid CAI
JBA catless X

Yes, I lost a little torque from switching to the Boss intake. There's no way to completely get around that I guess. I'm only doing tests on a couple of small things for Shaun, but nothing power wise. I'm going to the track soon, but that's just for fun. I have no before runs in the quarter.

5.0 Silverback

Established Member
Seat of your pants dyno, the track and your enjoyment of how it runs is all the matters. Hope you enjoy your new mods and the tune. If there is something amiss Shaun will find it and get you dialed in. Keep up posted on your times and progress.

SCalla1384

Established Member
You're always going to lose torque going to a short runner manifold. It doesn't matter. Lose torque and some low end. But you obviously make up for it. Boss manifold seems to make the same power as the stock around 5300 rpm (from what I've seen) and holds peak power from about 6400-7600. It held peak power during those rpm for me anyways.

An accufab 84.5mm throttle body will be ideal on that setup.

Stock Coyote heads, ported boss, and Airaid intake is just as efficient as a CJ setup.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I'm going with an Accufab soon, I had Dhruv enlarge the TB inlet and remove the fins for it to make sure there was no restriction from the intake there. The car never drops below 6000RPM after the first shift, so I'm more than happy with the power.

devildog1679

Established Member
I’m going your same route. Already have the Accufab TB. Installed. I put down 379/371 HP/TQ on a Mustang Dyno as well. I have the Boss Manifold just need to port it. How much did he charge? PM me $$ and info. I also thought the inlet Fins should not be removed? Will also be doing E85 and kooks LTH.
Surprised the E85 didn’t make up the TQ loss on your set up.

Question. I have the Steeda CAI. I just need to get the Boss specific tube for $80 from steeda. Should I switch over to the Airaid CAI or just stick to the Steeda? The Airaid Boss CAI is the same as their GT except for the coupler which is angled. I would need a new coupler anyway since the Accufab is 84.5MM. Trying to see if switching to a new CAI is worth the $$. Granted I could probably sell the current one and recoup my $$.

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I don't know that changing your CAI is worth it. I'd go the cheapest route to make it work and buy the coupler. All the fins do is supposedly quiet the air coming in, but mine doesn't make any noise louder than stock except at WOT. No whistling sound. I'll PM you about the port shortly.

From what I've seen on this dyno versus other local dynojets, it probably would've put down something in the 420whp area.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I’m going your same route. Already have the Accufab TB. Installed. I put down 379/371 HP/TQ on a Mustang Dyno as well. I have the Boss Manifold just need to port it. How much did he charge? PM me $$ and info. I also thought the inlet Fins should not be removed? Will also be doing E85 and kooks LTH.
Surprised the E85 didn’t make up the TQ loss on your set up.

Question. I have the Steeda CAI. I just need to get the Boss specific tube for $80 from steeda. Should I switch over to the Airaid CAI or just stick to the Steeda? The Airaid Boss CAI is the same as their GT except for the coupler which is angled. I would need a new coupler anyway since the Accufab is 84.5MM. Trying to see if switching to a new CAI is worth the $$. Granted I could probably sell the current one and recoup my $$.

I'm the one who did the port work, but most know me on here as Drew or 01bluesnake. Dhruva is my full first name, but not many know me by it. I'll pm the details on the port work.

I don't know that changing your CAI is worth it. I'd go the cheapest route to make it work and buy the coupler. All the fins do is supposedly quiet the air coming in, but mine doesn't make any noise louder than stock except at WOT. No whistling sound. I'll PM you about the port shortly.
From what I've seen on this dyno versus other local dynojets, it probably would've put down something in the 420whp area.

Yea, should be in the 420 whp range if not a little better. Your welcome, glad your happy with work. The power band up top is what will really help you, would be interesting to see some track runs and the mph.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I didn't think about people not knowing you by that name, sorry. I didn't really think anything of it because I had an Indian friend named Dhruv, pronounced Drew.

If anyone is wondering about the E85, there is definitely a mid range gain versus my Boss IM 93 octane tune. It's not quite enough in the 3-5K range to overtake the stock IM, but it's worth it. The car runs so consistently on E85 too. Hot or cold weather, pull after pull, it always puts down the power.

devildog1679

Established Member
I’m more into the top end for the track. I top out 5th at a few tracks and the lack of increasing power from 6500+ kills my speed. This new set-up will still be more TQ then stock so win win

01bluesnake

Established Member
I didn't think about people not knowing you by that name, sorry. I didn't really think anything of it because I had an Indian friend named Dhruv, pronounced Drew.

If anyone is wondering about the E85, there is definitely a mid range gain versus my Boss IM 93 octane tune. It's not quite enough in the 3-5K range to overtake the stock IM, but it's worth it. The car runs so consistently on E85 too. Hot or cold weather, pull after pull, it always puts down the power.

Not a problem at all, just wanted to clarify for those that don't know who Dhruva is lol. A good blend of E85 will definitely allow very consistent runs, even when hot lapped. My runs on E85 have always been damn near exact.The other 50% is driver consistency.

I’m more into the top end for the track. I top out 5th at a few tracks and the lack of increasing power from 6500+ kills my speed. This new set-up will still be more TQ then stock so win win

The upper power band is what is going to get the car moving in the 1/4 miles. With the hp and tq increase after 5400, this thing will certainly see big improvements.

Rich D

Large Member
Established Member
I'd be interested to see the numbers with that stock manifold back on there.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I'd be interested to see the numbers with that stock manifold back on there.

I credit the actual peak number gains to E85, the IM port, and the tune, not the Boss IM itself.

However, even if the peak power was equal, the stock IM would still dive after 6300, but the Boss IM would level off and maintain that power until ~7600RPM. The average power after your first shift would be much higher with the Boss IM. That plateau that the Boss IM creates in the power band is the good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread