ABS Question - Help!

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Hi All,

This morning I was driving along and the ABS light came on. I pulled over, switched the car off, turned it back on and the light was still on. I then drove for about another 5min and it went off. Hasn't come back on since.

What can cause the ABS to malfunction like that?? Am I chasing a loose connection or is there a checklist I can follow??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oz

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
Happened in my 04 Roush and my 01 Cobra. Both cars were taken to (2) different Ford dealerships only to have them say that the ABS module was fried.. I did a thread on it a while back and I wasnt the only one that had the problem BY FAR! The module, Im not exactly sure which one / where but I was quoted 700 bucks for replacement.

Be aware that the Cobra takes a different module than the GT's / V6's thus the price difference.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Have been watching it now for a few days. Comes on for anywhere between 5 min and 15min then goes off again. I do travel over a lot of rough roads so was hoping itwould be a loose wire.

Has anyone else had this and found something other than a full module replacement??

Thanks,
Oz

antiv6

Established Member
mine did that for a while then stayed on constantly for a week, had to get a new abs module 600 and something for replacing it. few months later it went out again and they replaced it. Been fine ever since though

Steve2050

Established Member
Without scanning, it's tough to say but Ford is having some failure with ABS modules. They are probably manufactured by Bosch.

Juruense

Banned
Its amazing how dirty those ABS sensors get, if cleaning them does not workk take it to a Ford dealer to find out exactly what is wrong. Hopefully its a sensor and not the module.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Its amazing how dirty those ABS sensors get, if cleaning them does not workk take it to a Ford dealer to find out exactly what is wrong. Hopefully its a sensor and not the module.

+1.I had my wheels off the other day and couldn`t believe the amount of crud.Not a DD,no rain and only 15K on it!

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea those sensors get realy dirty quick.My ABS started acting up when I had a pad go bad on the passenger side.Changed the pad ,no problem.

NCStanger

Established Member
Mine did same thing and then stayed on all the time. Been on for about a year now. Guess I'm not too concerned heh! Anyway, I did top off my fluids the other day and light went off for first time, but only lasted about 2 ignitions. I'm having my rear pads replaced in next couple of weeks so I'll let you know if that fixes mine. I have 108K on my cobra. Light started coming on at about 90K. I did first rear pad replacement at about 40K, so maybe pads are the issue for me. I hope so cause I ain't dishing out 700 for this. On the bright side, never have to push my trac control button every time I start my car now.... Good luck.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Thanks guys. I'll see if it's dirt (wouldn't it be nice if it was THAT simple!). Pads got changed out about 15K miles ago and they had nearly 40K on them so it shouldn't be a worn pad (but I'll check that too).

As for taking it to a Ford Dealer - they don't know sh&t about my model down here and just try to rip me off every service.

It has to go up and down a 1/4 mile dirt driveway everyday so perhaps it's just crap in the system.

Time to do some inspecting...

Oz :beer:

pkwest

Established Member
The ABS sensors are Magnets. The design of the mustang has exposed sensors which allows metallic fragments will collect on them. Over time it can become so impacted with grime that it will block the field (sine wave) generated by the tone ring rotating around the magnet. That sine wave tells the computer the wheels are turning and how fast. With out that signal the system turns off for safety and the light comes on. It is a common phenomena for the sensors in the exposed design to need periodic cleaning. The tone rings can also get impacted. If they get covered with grease the fragments will build up on them too.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
My ABS sensor went on a couple times. The first time was an ABS sensor and the second time it was the ABS module. Luckily i had both fixed under warranty and haven't had a problem in 2 years with either. Goodluck

03auto

Established Member
My ABS sensor went on a couple times. The first time was an ABS sensor and the second time it was the ABS module. Luckily i had both fixed under warranty and haven't had a problem in 2 years with either. Goodluck

I had my ABS module to go out. Sounds strange but it would drain down my battery after sitting a week or so, Also it make the theft light blink act weird.

NCStanger

Established Member
Update for me: Put new pads on back yesterday and after going around the block pumping a few times, light went out and abs kicked in immediately cause I could feel it in the pedal. Then my trac control light went out which makes sense. Today however, I had front pads replaced and when testing afterwards light was back on again. Funny thing now though is the trac control light is out and should be on again since abs light is on again. When I push to engage it still doesn't come on. Seems too much coincidence for the bulb to burn out at same time. Something weird is going on with mine.

Where are these sensors located and what do I clean them with??? We saw nothing attached to the calipers but brake lines.

Users who are viewing this thread