Newest hood mod, trying to keep the temps down

racebronco2

Established Member
Just started the newest hood mod so it is a little rough around the edges.
newhoodmod001tb5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
newhoodmod003uv3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Did you modify your stock hood? That looks similar to Tiger-Racing's vented hood which they sell for $699 in fiberglass.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Are that many vents truly necessary?

"Necessary"??? for some maybe yes. for others certainly not.

Each rib of each vent has it's own low pressure area at the base... the air rushing over pulls more air out of the engine bay dropping the pressure behind the rad.

Lower pressure behind the rad = more air through the rad.

"Necessary" is kind of relative to the end usage. It will not be necessary for many... but it will be interesting to see the results of this experiment... since we know open track does overwhelm the cooling system on these cars on many occassions... in many different areas and climates.

And we have seen that fat radiators often do not do a whole lot by themselves... unless we can get more air though them.

A larger radiator will by itself reduce the cooling air flow with the existing inlets, vents, and air dams. It does this because it is more of a restriction to air flow than the thinner stocker.

So basically a larger radiator without attention to some sort of air flow increase may produce results that are somewhat less than we had desired.

racebronco2

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Are that many vents truly necessary?

I was going to only have 4 louvers but since the hood recessed area is already lowered 2 inches it didn't look right.

Probably on a stock hood 2 or 3 would be just right.

I was told by an well known racer that if i were to put louvers back about halfway that it would not only cool even better then now but in his testing it also provide some downforce.

racebronco2

Established Member
At idle there is alot of airflow.

With the fans kicking in you can feel the heat from the motor as far back as the middle of the door(standing on the side of the car). You cannot see that much by the pictures but the paper taped to the louvers are flailing in the air flow between the 3rd and the 4th louvers. The passenger side isn't moving nearly as much as the drivers side. It didn't make a difference with the fans on high or low speed. The first picture is with the motor off, second with the fans on.

Will be at the track this weekend to see how much cooler the car stays. Hopefully another cobra will show up so i can see the temp difference.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Very nice. Please keep us posted and thanks a ton for doing the experiment work so we don't have to, LOL.

racebronco2

Established Member
brkntrxn said:
Very nice. Please keep us posted and thanks a ton for doing the experiment work so we don't have to, LOL.

It sure helps that i only paid 40.00 for the damaged hood. It does make me think did i really need all those cooling mods to get it to try to run cool.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
It sure helps that i only paid 40.00 for the damaged hood. It does make me think did i really need all those cooling mods to get it to try to run cool.

YES! lol
Do you think we need more airflow over the blower to help IT run cooler, may be some vents further back?

racebronco2

Established Member
Venom525RWHP said:
YES! lol
Do you think we need more airflow over the blower to help IT run cooler, may be some vents further back?

The blower temps are dependant on engine temps. I posted a couple of datalogs in which as the engine temps went up so did the iat2's. Airflow over the blower will not reduce blower temps since the heat is coming from the engine itself. As far as putting vents further back i don't think it will do much good cause most of the heat is being removed from the radiator.

racebronco2

Established Member
hood progress

I just took the car out today to bed-in the brake pads but i did a little datalogging. Idling at a light temps were 200*, 2 minutes later temps went down to 176* cruising at 60mph. Thermostat is 180* unit.

finishedhoodmodairflow0it6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
I just took the car out today to bed-in the brake pads but i did a little datalogging. Idling at a light temps were 200*, 2 minutes later temps went down to 176* cruising at 60mph. Thermostat is 180* unit.

[/URL][/IMG]
And what was the outside air temp?

Jimmysidecarr said:
"Necessary"??? for some maybe yes. for others certainly not.

Each rib of each vent has it's own low pressure area at the base... the air rushing over pulls more air out of the engine bay dropping the pressure behind the rad.

Lower pressure behind the rad = more air through the rad.

"Necessary" is kind of relative to the end usage. It will not be necessary for many... but it will be interesting to see the results of this experiment... since we know open track does overwhelm the cooling system on these cars on many occassions... in many different areas and climates.

And we have seen that fat radiators often do not do a whole lot by themselves... unless we can get more air though them.

A larger radiator will by itself reduce the cooling air flow with the existing inlets, vents, and air dams. It does this because it is more of a restriction to air flow than the thinner stocker.

So basically a larger radiator without attention to some sort of air flow increase may produce results that are somewhat less than we had desired.

Always can count on you for great information Jimmy. And you keep things simple. :beer: I have aftermarket vents and all the cooling mods. I don't see anything above 190F in traffic or highway.

racebronco2 said:

[/URL][/IMG]

I admire your ingenuity. :rockon:

racebronco2

Established Member
The hood mod seems to help on the freeway, this morning several times the temps went to 176* but then settled down to 182*, outside temps were about 53*. On the way home from the track temps were 184* and outside temps were 85* with the air on running at 80mph. Temps on the track didn't get any higher then 200* but was too busy to actually block off some of the vents (there were only 2 of us instructing 13 students).

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I've often looked at the '03 hoods and wondered if I could to some kind of extraction on mine. Has anyone seen any attempts along these lines on an SN95? It may look funny, but boy if it would help....

racebronco2

Established Member
Nice car. Atlantic blue is my 2nd favorite color. I would just get another hood that could either be modified or one that already has extractors in it already. Even though you could add some extractors to you current hood it just wouldn't look correct and with such a nice car you wouldn't want to ruin the look you have now.

sleepless

Established Member
gcassidy said:
I've often looked at the '03 hoods and wondered if I could to some kind of extraction on mine. Has anyone seen any attempts along these lines on an SN95? It may look funny, but boy if it would help....

check out the hood by Tiger Racing. the only downside is that it is a liftoff hood only (no latch or hinge).

http://www.tiger-racing.com/for_sale.html

Users who are viewing this thread