Teksid or WAP block?

odarabla

Established Member
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life but is the WAP block a lot weaker than the teksid block? I have both and the WAP came out of my 2004 Mach 1 that I'm building and engine for right now. If I can use my factory engine block and it will hold up like the teksid block will I'll just use my factory block and sell the teksid block. Thanks
Old reference thread.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/teksid-or-wap-block.588370/

Last edited by a moderator:

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
SVT members, we have stated it time and time again. If you are looking to build a 4.6L based engine you would start out with a 3V block as they were the last engineered offering from the manufacturer and are the strongest avaialble. If your looking to make more than 1K flywheel HP you will be sleeving the block.(yes turbo guys can get away with a hair more power on the o.e. liner) Don't waste your time looking for a Texid and paying a premium for it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life but is the WAP block a lot weaker than the teksid block? I have both and the WAP came out of my 2004 Mach 1 that I'm building and engine for right now. If I can use my factory engine block and it will hold up like the teksid block will I'll just use my factory block and sell the teksid block. Thanks

Depends on how much power you're wanting to make. If you're going for 1000+ use the Teksid. If it's more like 600-700 you can use the WAP.

PhaidOut

Established Member
SVT members, we have stated it time and time again. If you are looking to build a 4.6L based engine you would start out with a 3V block as they were the last engineered offering from the manufacturer and are the strongest avaialble. If your looking to make more than 1K flywheel HP you will be sleeving the block.(yes turbo guys can get away with a hair more power on the o.e. liner) Don't waste your time looking for a Texid and paying a premium for it.

I have a lot of respect for your team. So I mean no offense by this - could you explain why this is a better block? I have heard this but I don't recall anyone ever offering a definitive explanation as to why. For every 3V is stronger post there are 50 for Teksid. I have heard there is more material in the sleeve area for reduced NVH. I have heard there is more material in the mains as well. Just nothing from anyone reputable. For that matter what work does the block need for use in a New Edge setup? (i.e. Teksid needs Knock Sensor ground down.)

Thanks

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have a lot of respect for your team. So I mean no offense by this - could you explain why this is a better block? I have heard this but I don't recall anyone ever offering a definitive explanation as to why. For every 3V is stronger post there are 50 for Teksid. I have heard there is more material in the sleeve area for reduced NVH. I have heard there is more material in the mains as well. Just nothing from anyone reputable. For that matter what work does the block need for use in a New Edge setup? (i.e. Teksid needs Knock Sensor ground down.)

Thanks

In general the NVH reasoning is accurate, there is more material in a lot of different areas of the 3V block. While the aluminum castings might vary slightly in the strength, the increased cross sectional thickness in many areas of the later style 3V block offers better overall strength. The aluminum cast around the bores is slightly thicker in places, which helps with bore geometry. The main advantage of the later style 3V blocks is the main bulkhead area and main cap/block interface. The Teksid blocks use a jackscrew for loading the pan rail, and the contact area is significantly less than the later style 3V blocks which use a flush cap to block arrangement. Under high power the caps on a Teksid block will move around and tip much more than the 3V caps will. There are of course ways you can augment both blocks to improve this, but the default starting point of the 3V is definitely an advantage in the main cap and bulkhead strength. Teksid blocks are not bad, and can be made to work of course, but the 3V block tends to be a better starting point when modifying a block for high power.

Ironmancuck

Banned
Established Member
Interesting that it is recommended to sleeve the factory ford block when Accufab racing has built numerous 3000+ hp Teksid based engines with an OE cylinder liner

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/m5lp-0906-mercury-cougar-cobra-hybrid/

While it's true that the 2005 and later aluminum block is the strongest, some 2001 cobras came with a teksid block and that block can take plenty of power as the above article showed so why replace it with a newer version?

Users who are viewing this thread