I have a 2013 Shelby GT500 with the Performance Package. The problem is that it's "stuck" in Sport mode.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Even when I'm at a stop and switch it back to Normal, as soon as I start moving it flips over to Sport.

Then when I'm driving and come back to a complete stop, it switches back to Normal.

Is a damper stuck? Is it something with the electronics which seem to have multiple gremlins?

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I’ll admit that’s strange, I can’t say mines every done that to me.
Yea, thanks.

I just got the front brakes done and I don't recall if it was doing that prior to that or not?

I mainly drove it in Sport mode anyway because I don't care about the bumpy ride and was never driving very far or over bad roads.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I’m trying to think what would alter it to change the suspension from normal to soft though. Seems very strange.
Yes, seems this car has a couple strange gremlins. Had one with the lights that the dealer figured out, but they're so pricey! I don't care if I drive it in Sport mode. I don't want to have to pay the dealer another grand to figure it out.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, thanks.

I just got the front brakes done and I don't recall if it was doing that prior to that or not?

I mainly drove it in Sport mode anyway because I don't care about the bumpy ride and was never driving very far or over bad roads.
Since you just had your front brakes done I would turn your wheels lock to lock and look on both sides near the shocks. Make sure they didn't disconnect a wire or pull a wire by accident, next thing I would try is disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and let the system reset. But definitely inspect the wiring to the front struts first and verify that's all good.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I'll look into this @MustangSteve1965. Have you scanned the car for any DTC codes? This would involve your body control module/instrument cluster so any issues going on there would start with a B code.
Thank you Vinnie.

I have not. The car is actually at Lidio's and he's going to tune it.

I'll scan it once I have it back and let you know.

I'm starting to think I need to take it to you to "ungremlinize" it!

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Since you just had your front brakes done I would turn your wheels lock to lock and look on both sides near the shocks. Make sure they didn't disconnect a wire or pull a wire by accident, next thing I would try is disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and let the system reset. But definitely inspect the wiring to the front struts first and verify that's all good.
Awesome. Great recommendation and thank you!

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you Vinnie.

I have not. The car is actually at Lidio's and he's going to tune it.

I'll scan it once I have it back and let you know.

I'm starting to think I need to take it to you to "ungremlinize" it!
Dont hesitate to reach out if in need. It would be a pleasure to help you. We are confident we can correct any auto electrical issue your experiencing.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with @2011 gtcs. Do that first!!

This is how the system works:

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension

The VDM is connected to the HS-CAN to communicate with the ABS module, the PCM and other systems. The VDM also monitors the solenoid circuits and sets DTCs when a concern with a circuit or a solenoid is detected. The ride control switch is hardwired to the PCM. Pressing the switch sends a signal to the PCM which then sends a message to the IPC over the HS-CAN . The IPC relays that message to the VDM and the VDM adjusts the valve solenoids as requested.

The two modes are Sport (off) and Normal (on). Normal mode is activated by applying constant voltage and varying the PWM duty cycle to get the desired current. When the current is applied, the solenoid magnet opens a sliding valve allowing fluid to flow through the "comfort" piston. This results in a more compliant (softer) suspension feel. Sport mode is activated by removing the voltage from the valve solenoid.

During an ESC (Electronic Stability Control) event, the ABS module will send messages to the VDM over the HS-CAN requesting suspension adjustment to aid in maintaining vehicle stability. Also, the VDM will monitor vehicle speed and when a certain vehicle speed is achieved, the VDM will change to sport mode to aid in maintaining vehicle stability.

Component Description

Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM)

The VDM monitors inputs and HS-CAN messages that relate to the vehicle dynamic suspension and then directly controls the valve solenoids. The VDM sends an individual electrical current to each valve solenoid to control the amount of damping required.

Valve Solenoid

The valve solenoid is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) controlled solenoid that controls a sliding valve inside the damper.

Ride Control Switch

The ride control switch is a bank of 3 press and release switches, one is for suspension, one is for steering and one is for launch control.

Need to scan the car and check for any VDM DTC'S. They would start with a C code or possible a U code which would be related to network communication issues. Im not gonna guess at this point because its not the way I work. The issue needs to be diagnosed and addressed correctly.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If the struts or shocks have damaged wiring for the electronic suspension it defaults to Sport mode. Since you mentioned front brake work I would examine the wring on the front struts very closely. From memory, the wiring comes out of the bottom of the strut and is easily damaged. Or maybe they disconnected it to move parts around.

Tom

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I agree with @2011 gtcs. Do that first!!

This is how the system works:

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension

The VDM is connected to the HS-CAN to communicate with the ABS module, the PCM and other systems. The VDM also monitors the solenoid circuits and sets DTCs when a concern with a circuit or a solenoid is detected. The ride control switch is hardwired to the PCM. Pressing the switch sends a signal to the PCM which then sends a message to the IPC over the HS-CAN . The IPC relays that message to the VDM and the VDM adjusts the valve solenoids as requested.

The two modes are Sport (off) and Normal (on). Normal mode is activated by applying constant voltage and varying the PWM duty cycle to get the desired current. When the current is applied, the solenoid magnet opens a sliding valve allowing fluid to flow through the "comfort" piston. This results in a more compliant (softer) suspension feel. Sport mode is activated by removing the voltage from the valve solenoid.

During an ESC (Electronic Stability Control) event, the ABS module will send messages to the VDM over the HS-CAN requesting suspension adjustment to aid in maintaining vehicle stability. Also, the VDM will monitor vehicle speed and when a certain vehicle speed is achieved, the VDM will change to sport mode to aid in maintaining vehicle stability.

Component Description

Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM)

The VDM monitors inputs and HS-CAN messages that relate to the vehicle dynamic suspension and then directly controls the valve solenoids. The VDM sends an individual electrical current to each valve solenoid to control the amount of damping required.

Valve Solenoid

The valve solenoid is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) controlled solenoid that controls a sliding valve inside the damper.

Ride Control Switch

The ride control switch is a bank of 3 press and release switches, one is for suspension, one is for steering and one is for launch control.

Need to scan the car and check for any VDM DTC'S. They would start with a C code or possible a U code which would be related to network communication issues. Im not gonna guess at this point because its not the way I work. The issue needs to be diagnosed and addressed correctly.

Awesome and thanks again Vinnie!

Yes, it threw these codes:

C0031-62, C0034-64.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member

C0031-62, C0034-64.
@Vinnie_B is much more the expert than I but, I believe those codes indicate faults with both your left and right front wheel speed sensors, respectively. IMO, the fact that both are "bad" following brake work points to something having been disconnected or damaged during the work. I, therefore, echo @2011 gtcs' suggestion to physically inspect all the connections and wiring. Good luck!

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member

C0031-62, C0034-64.
C0031:62Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal Compare Failure

C0034:64Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal Compare Failure

***These DTC'S set in continuous memory if the ABS module detects one of the wheel speed sensors has a missing signal or varies by 20% of the rest of the wheel speed sensors. There are no wheel speed sensors shorted or open circuit faults present in memory.

I concur with the rest of the these awesome members here on this SVTP thread. Something definitely went wrong with the front brake repair job recently performed. Visually inspect your wiring connections for damage and report this back to the persons responsible who performed the work and have them correct the issue. If you need any help.....dont hesitate to reach out to us!

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
@Vinnie_B is much more the expert than I but, I believe those codes indicate faults with both your left and right front wheel speed sensors, respectively. IMO, the fact that both are "bad" following brake work points to something having been disconnected or damaged during the work. I, therefore, echo @2011 gtcs' suggestion to physically inspect all the connections and wiring. Good luck!
Im no expert of any kind Mr. Norton..........Im just a simple minded electrical nerd......:ROFLMAO:.

Dance Dancing GIF

Last edited:

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
C0031:62Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal Compare Failure

C0034:64Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal Compare Failure

***These DTC'S set in continuous memory if the ABS module detects one of the wheel speed sensors has a missing signal or varies by 20% of the rest of the wheel speed sensors. There are no wheel speed sensors shorted or open circuit faults present in memory.

I concur with the rest of the these awesome members here on this SVTP thread. Something definitely went wrong with the front brake repair job recently performed. Visually inspect your wiring connections for damage and report this back to the persons responsible who performed the work and have them correct the issue. If you need any help.....dont hesitate to reach out to us!

Okay, thank you and everyone ITT for the great advice and help.

If any of you are so inclined and are able to take a picture and point out what I need to look for I would again appreciate it very much!

Users who are viewing this thread