First Time Dyno. What should I have made? What next?

svtioshua

Established Member
Swap out the supercharger head unit to Vmp or Whipple, that's about a $3000 upgrade. Go E85, with that you need bigger injectors, pumps, and lines. That is about $2000.
Def tracking this kind of move. I personally would love a Kenne but that will be a later project. I am wanting to enjoy the Eaton and what she has now but I want the most out of her (which I was hoping for, more than 418hp lmao). I'll sell this Eaton when I'm ready for that Kenne lol

stangfreak

Established Member
Looks about right. They advertise 390hp at the crank stock, you didn't do to much now you're at 420 wheel hp. I would say for a tune, pulley, and cat delete that pretty good.
The 2003 cobra was underrated by ford for a reason. They did not make 390 crank hp. They made way more than that.

My car with a borla stinger catback, steeda cold air which retains the STOCK intake, made 427 rwhp 396rwtq at mustang magic. which is known as the heart break dyno. when we did the 2.80 upper it made 465 rwhp 480 rwtq. stock midpipe. stock manifolds.

On stock F1 tires and 2,000 miles with a catback and cold air, NO UPPER PULLEY, just two mods, the car went a best of 12.36 at 116mph with a 1.97 60ft driven my venomous03cobra. That same day the best I was able to run was a 12.82. This was back in 2003 when we had a drag strip on long island.

svtioshua

Established Member
The 2003 cobra was underrated by ford for a reason. They did not make 390 crank hp. They made way more than that.

My car with a borla stinger catback, steeda cold air which retains the STOCK intake, made 427 rwhp 396rwtq at mustang magic. which is known as the heart break dyno. when we did the 2.80 upper it made 465 rwhp 480 rwtq. stock midpipe. stock manifolds.

On stock F1 tires and 2,000 miles with a catback and cold air, NO UPPER PULLEY, just two mods, the car went a best of 12.36 at 116mph with a 1.97 60ft driven my venomous03cobra. That same day the best I was able to run was a 12.82. This was back in 2003 when we had a drag strip on long island.
Wow. Salute to you.

svtioshua

Established Member
So no tuning device was given to you? Does the upshift yellow arrow light still come on when you drive it? Most aftermarket tunes will turn that off. If it comes on I would be suspicious of it being the stock tune still.
I'll be honest, I took that bulb out months ago.. I will put it back in and see if it does.

1FastFord

Established Member
Agree with above, numbers seem low, your running lean and it sounds like they didn’t tune it since you don’t have a handheld. Only other option would be a chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vr4

Established Member
Agree with above, numbers seem low, your running lean and it sounds like they didn’t tune it since you don’t have a handheld. Only other option would be a chip.

HP tuners?

1FastFord

Established Member
Wasn’t aware that’s an option for us. If so, my bad

svtioshua

Established Member

Low numbers is how I feel too.. The Tuner did not mention anything about running lean either. Should I purchase my own SCT?

01yellercobra

Established Member
HP tuners?
That was my first thought. I didn't even think about a chip to be honest.
Low numbers is how I feel too.. The Tuner did not mention anything about running lean either. Should I purchase my own SCT?
Decide on a plan of action first. If you're going to go with another tuner (which I'm assuming you are) reach out and see what software they use. No point in buying a hand held device if they use HP which writes to the ECU directly.

Honestly, for $700 I'd be calling and asking what software they used, how many pulls they made, and what timing is in it. Looking at your graph I don't think they tuned it. I think they ran it on the dyno and gave it back. And I would pull the plugs to make sure everything is good. Hopefully nothing got hurt.

I can't believe they charged for wideband rental. I've never seen that before.

svtioshua

Established Member
That was my first thought. I didn't even think about a chip to be honest.

Decide on a plan of action first. If you're going to go with another tuner (which I'm assuming you are) reach out and see what software they use. No point in buying a hand held device if they use HP which writes to the ECU directly.

Honestly, for $700 I'd be calling and asking what software they used, how many pulls they made, and what timing is in it. Looking at your graph I don't think they tuned it. I think they ran it on the dyno and gave it back. And I would pull the plugs to make sure everything is good. Hopefully nothing got hurt.

I can't believe they charged for wideband rental. I've never seen that before.
Thank you again for all the care and feedback.. I fully believe I will be going to another tuner in the near future.. But I will also be calling the place I went to tomorrow and find out some of these questions. I also think for the amount I spent ($856) that I should know these things.

Like I said, I had high hopes of seeing more than 418hp. I will be back tomorrow, hopefully with some answers.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member

That's why is said "advertised".

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So would you say I am making less than the 418hp posted? My apologies, my first tune, first time dealing with such. Just trying to understand. We really just went in head-first with the mods (listed above) and were ready to see what we were gonna make.

I am running on your basic Premium at whatever gas pump. What mod/bolt on should I expect next for better results? I am a little let down by those numbers but I was going in with high hopes tbh.
No, I'm saying that with the mods you posted (assuming you had a custom tune), 418 (STD) hp to the wheels is lower than normal for those mods. The STD smoothing factor shows higher numbers than the more used SAE smoothing factor. My old Cobra with the mods I posted made 457whp (SAE smoothing factor). STD would have been around 475whp.

How long did this tuning/dyno session take? The shop keeps the tune in-house, correct? Meaning they gave you nothing to take with you except for the dyno sheet and invoice.

I know you already spent $695 for the tune, but I'd definitely have another shop (maybe in Texas when you get there) give it a look. A handheld tuner device is best because you have the tune/tunes loaded on the device and changes can be easily made to the tune in the future. Really handy, as well, when you're travelling/moving to another state.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If they didn't actually tune it I'd ask WTF the $856 was for? Seriously.
Especially when the receipt/invoice says "custom dyno tuning". If it wasn't tuned, that would be fraud. He definitely wants to confirm that they actually tuned the car. If it was tuned, he certainly didn't get his money's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread