Expensive Cars Don't Need To Be Reliable?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

He actually made a strong point. When expensive cars are leased more often than purchased, there's really no need for them to be super reliable beyond a typical lease period. Even with outright purchases, the owners of higher end cars don't keep them much beyond 3 or 4 years before trading up for the next new thing. Manufacturers build cars for new buyers, not used buyers. The saying "don't buy/own a German luxury car outside of warranty" bears that out. Used sales don't help the manufacturer's bottom line, so it doesn't matter a whole lot what kind of owner experience those buyers have. "You want reliable? Go buy a $35K Honda Accord, not a $35K used high end luxury car, peasant."

And with that, I've been thinking about switching us over to a leasing household for high end cars. I want to experience some more of the "finer" things in life before I die and not be committed to it for years on end. A nice 24/36 month lease might be right up our alley. That way we're not paying as much for the car, and it frees up money for other toys. (I saw a 2009 Aston Martin DBS that I fell in love with. Drop dead gorgeous car! It would be worth owning that car even if I all I did was pull it out of the garage every now and then just to look at it.)

Thoughts on expensive cars needing to be reliable?

Never_Enough

Established Member
I'm trying to go the opposite way. Stop switching cars so often & pissing $ away & find something I will keep for many years. Pay that off, then buy the next big toy...

I have not put the Euro cars on my short list because of big repair bills & such out of warranty. Not a risk I want to take.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
If you have cash money, there are some amazing deals out there.
Tough to get some rides financed but cash will find you some deals

The used market is as strong as ever and the depreciation realized on high end vehicles is tremendous

Trust your gut but ultimately I've always looked at it like this; if I can't fix it, do I have a buddy that can?

Sent from that shiny thing in my hands

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
basically euro-cars are trash once you get some miles on them. Other expensive cars from japan and US you can run them as long as you would their lesser priced counterparts. I've seen several lexus and acura models with 300k or more miles on them.

The 2005 Ford GT had an msrp of $150k but in general it is built with the same quality standard and durability of a $15k focus at the time. Same can be said of the acura Nsx which was widely known as the worlds first "everyday drive supercar." Lincoln navigator and Cadillac escalade are other examples. Both of these can break into the $100k realm but they are built just like the wok horse 1/2 ton truck models.

SirShaun

Established Member
You're basically eating the very worst years of depreciation, and at the end you've got nothing to show for it except the option to buy the car out.

Slightly used, and having equity on trade in, sounds like a better option. Look at certified Pre-Owned, so you still get that warranty.

Most warranties are what, 5 years? Find a certified 3 year old car, use last 24 months, trade in.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Buy expensive car after it's been owned for 1 year.

Sell before 3 years.

The hit is quite a bit lower and you are in a new car all the time.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That's the thing, though. I wouldn't want to buy it at the end. I'd just swap it out for something new. I do realize that leasing is basically buying the depreciation of the car. If you have no intentions of keeping it long term, though, what's really the harm? I can't imagine still owning my 2008 BMW 550i Sport. It was a nice car, but I think I'd be plenty sick of it by now. I was starting to get sick of it by the time I got rid of it. It just never really tickled my fancy. I don't think any high end car would hold my interest for an extended amount of time. They evolve too much to keep around long term. For instance, buying a 10 year old S-class doesn't really make a whole lot of sense today when, for example, a 2018 Hyundai Azera or Toyota Avalon outclasses it in nearly every way, save for a V8/V12 engine and RWD. At that point, what are you really buying, the car or the badge?

Maybe I'm just getting to the point where I don't really see the value in "high end" luxury brands anymore. Nowadays, the "little" guys are putting up some compelling arguments against paying all that extra money. There are a LOT of nice mid-range cars out now. If only they weren't FWD...

coposrv

Established Member
We lease Toyota’s. Cheap and comfortable. A high end car is something I’d rather keep long term in a collection than ditch every 2 years. We make enough to have a decent high end car or two but meh. I just don’t want expensive daily drivers. I like having a car I don’t care about.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
For a 3rd car/small commutes leasing makes sense at times. Especially when you get bored of cars quickly and have the means to be paying "rent" for a car.

Hellcat chargers and challengers are a good car to lease. 70k msrp 707hp car that you can lease for 500 bucks a month +/-.
Get your fix of that power then trade it in as the bumper to bumper expires.

Imatk

Established Member
It's funny I was just talking to someone about this the other day. Ever since I was a kid I wanted a Ferrari (thanks Magnum PI).

I dreamed of owning one and swore I would one day.

I'm now at the point where I could definitely buy an old 308 and drive with the top down like Magnum... with my hawaiian shirt blowing in the wind!

BUT the 308 is a notoriously badly built car. It overheats, the timing belts need to be changed every 10k miles and it's a real PITA to do them. The electrical system is horrible since they used small gauge wire on it so it eventually burns up.

SO... yes I could buy one. But no I have no interest anymore.

At the end of the day you're trading money (time) for a luxury that you want not need.

I'm more interested in retiring early than trading that time for a luxury car that just isn't worth it, to me.

If I was a multi-millionaire then sure whatever... which is why I think these cars are geared toward people with so much money they couldn't care less about the reliability.

They'll just pay someone to fix it or buy a new toy. I'm not in that rareified air :)

csc427

Established Member
That's the thing, though. I wouldn't want to buy it at the end. I'd just swap it out for something new. I do realize that leasing is basically buying the depreciation of the car. If you have no intentions of keeping it long term, though, what's really the harm? I can't imagine still owning my 2008 BMW 550i Sport. It was a nice car, but I think I'd be plenty sick of it by now. I was starting to get sick of it by the time I got rid of it. It just never really tickled my fancy. I don't think any high end car would hold my interest for an extended amount of time. They evolve too much to keep around long term. For instance, buying a 10 year old S-class doesn't really make a whole lot of sense today when, for example, a 2018 Hyundai Azera or Toyota Avalon outclasses it in nearly every way, save for a V8/V12 engine and RWD. At that point, what are you really buying, the car or the badge?

Maybe I'm just getting to the point where I don't really see the value in "high end" luxury brands anymore. Nowadays, the "little" guys are putting up some compelling arguments against paying all that extra money. There are a LOT of nice mid-range cars out now. If only they weren't FWD...
Buying and leasing each have their strong points. Buy what you think you will keep for a long time. I purchased my 911 turbo and don’t regret a second of it. I purchased all of my other cars as well. I’m leasing a c63s amg edition 1 because I had no intentions of keeping it long term. Guilt free miles and then turn it back in and lease something else to play with. Yes, it’s a steep price to pay and you have nothing to show for in the end, but it’s a good way to experience new cars every couple years and be motivated to drive them. Endless options this way.

Coiled03

Established Member
In the same boat as OP. I'd like to try some nicer Euro cars because the US domestic manufacturers don't have anything that interests me. But don't want to deal with a Euro car out of warranty, and don't want a new car sized payment.

I think I'm going to look at going CPO, but finding them seems to be difficult. Seems like most search engines aren't geared towards them, and even if they have the option, the results are very limited.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
If you don't mind having an auto payment for the rest of your life then leasing is a great way to enjoy all kinds of cars.

_Snake_

Established Member
Exactly my approach: I have a 3 year lease on a S6. I’ll probably buy it at the end if they CPO it to 100k miles. Orherwise, it’s on to something different.

Knowing that it’s not really mine also keeps the mod bug in check. I started dumping money into my 2011 S4 with 85k miles (stereo, tune, new whatever) and realized what a bad idea it was.

Edit - the S4 was very reliable and I had no problems with it, but I knew I was one repair away from a $5k bill or more.

Last edited:

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Buying and leasing each have their strong points. Buy what you think you will keep for a long time. I purchased my 911 turbo and don’t regret a second of it. I purchased all of my other cars as well. I’m leasing a c63s amg edition 1 because I had no intentions of keeping it long term. Guilt free miles and then turn it back in and lease something else to play with. Yes, it’s a steep price to pay and you have nothing to show for in the end, but it’s a good way to experience new cars every couple years and be motivated to drive them. Endless options this way.
Unrelated, but I was born in Princeton WV. Rare for me to see anyone from there.

Recon

Established Member
If you can afford an expensive car, you should afford the expensive fixes.

Pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread