97 cobra no start, no spark after engine rebuild

Svtcobra916

Established Member
Just got the cobra engine rebuilt with forged internal. Got everything put back together and go to start it up and it’ll crank all day but wont turn over. I was able to verify i have fuel and air but no spark when i grounded out a plug.

The coil packs, spark plug wires, spark plugs, starter, alternator, and battery are all brand new.

Im not sure where to look next im thinking it could be a grounding issues. Any ideas or information will be greatly appreciated

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
We have a saying in the mechanic world:

*New doesn't mean good*

Verify all connections, chances are you've left something unplugged(everyone does after putting an engine back in..) your main grounds are good since the starter cranks

I would then back probe(carefully) the connector into each coil & check for power/ground while cranking(grab a helper)

If those are present then you have to assume the new coils are faulty, hopefully you just left something unplugged/loose

Svtcobra916

Established Member
We have a saying in the mechanic world:

*New doesn't mean good*

Verify all connections, chances are you've left something unplugged(everyone does after putting an engine back in..) your main grounds are good since the starter cranks

I would then back probe(carefully) the connector into each coil & check for power/ground while cranking(grab a helper)

If those are present then you have to assume the new coils are faulty, hopefully you just left something unplugged/loose
I can check each connector at the coil by simply unplugging and cranking then looking for spark right? With a voltmeter i verified im getting battery voltage to the coil packs

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
I can check each connector at the coil by simply unplugging and cranking then looking for spark right? With a voltmeter i verified im getting battery voltage to the coil packs
Well technically you could do that.. if you like risking getting zapped; proper way to do it is to use a DVOM or test light

You can have +12v battery to the coils all day but if the PCM isn't sending the ground signal to your coils or injectors the car will crank all day too

Keep in mind I'm basing my advice on the information you've provided and assuming it's reliable & accurate; there are other reasons a vehicle will not start and run

Svtcobra916

Established Member
Well technically you could do that.. if you like risking getting zapped; proper way to do it is to use a DVOM or test light

You can have +12v battery to the coils all day but if the PCM isn't sending the ground signal to your coils or injectors the car will crank all day too

Keep in mind I'm basing my advice on the information you've provided and assuming it's reliable & accurate; there are other reasons a vehicle will not start and run
Ok i am going to try testing the coils here shortly and will post an update. Thank you

Svtcobra916

Established Member

Svtcobra916

Established Member
I have no spark through the coils. So i have to assume this is a computer issue and im not getting spark or fuel at the injectors right?

Could this be a pats issue? Iv checked all my connections multiple times and the only issue i found was the crankshaft position sensor connector was broke but have replaced the sensor and connector. I lnow that info is pretty much irrelevant at this point but that everything iv done to car and not sure where to look next.

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
I have no spark through the coils. So i have to assume this is a computer issue and im not getting spark or fuel at the injectors right?

Could this be a pats issue? Iv checked all my connections multiple times and the only issue i found was the crankshaft position sensor connector was broke but have replaced the sensor and connector. I lnow that info is pretty much irrelevant at this point but that everything iv done to car and not sure where to look next.
The PATS would prevent the vehicle from cranking at all

Back up to what I said before and go with what you know:

-The engine was removed and then installed; this indicates you most likely forgot something upon installing or possibly have 2 connectors in the wrong spots etc

-If you're getting no spark into the plugs then that gives you direction, make sure the coils are getting power and ground via the connector as stated

The chances of something going faulty in your car while it was sitting and the battery disconnected is virtually improbable

Bullitt1448

Established Member
It has happened that parts go bad just sitting but not often.
More likely is a missing plug, crossed plug or missing/loose ground

Svtcobra916

Established Member
After speaking with guys who did the internals on the motor they insisted i forgot to install the reluctor timing wheel. After looking at my chiltons and watching videos of how to install timing kit on 4v I came to conclusion i must have installed that part the wrong way smh. After pulling the timing cover off to take a look… what do you know that mf was in there the wrong way damnit.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Glad you found the issue. You're not the first person this caught out, and won't be the last.

For those who may find this in the future, you don't need to pull the timing cover to check for the presence or correctness of the crankshaft reluctor wheel. You can simply remove the crankshaft position sensor and inspect through its mounting hole in the timing cover with a flashlight.

Svtcobra916

Established Member
Glad you found the issue. You're not the first person this caught out, and won't be the last.

For those who may find this in the future, you don't need to pull the timing cover to check for the presence or correctness of the crankshaft reluctor wheel. You can simply remove the crankshaft position sensor and inspect through its mounting hole in the timing cover with a flashlight.
This is true, but you also have to remove the a/c compressor to get that sensor out. Its a shame i replace the crankshaft position sensor and didn’t think to check on the reluctor. At the same time i did not know the function of that part, or how it operated in correspondence with the sensor

hotcobra03

Established Member
Glad you found the issue,

The manual your using ?

We have the Ford manual posted on here,

There are special steps to sealing front cover that if missed will cause oil leaks ,

Along with notes on installing timing chain components

jman37

Established Member
Glad you found the issue,

The manual your using ?

We have the Ford manual posted on here,

There are special steps to sealing front cover that if missed will cause oil leaks ,

Along with notes on installing timing chain components
Is it in a specific section? I've looked for it times before and always came up with nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread