LEO's and Breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
I have always heard if you drive an expensive sports car and have a radar detector the LEO's are less likely to cut you breaks....

What I am learning in the school of hard knocks is, no matter what you are in, and no matter if you have a detector or not, if you are speeding, they are less likely to cut you a break..... :-D

I have always wonderd about this topic though.... is it the type of car? Or the color? Or does any of that matter??

Also is an officer more likely to give a break to a guy that is driving a beat up ride, than he is to the driver of a nice car?

Thoughts....

jshen

Established Member
Breaks

Have to do with a lot of things, for example

Radar detector? You got your break when you "opened the box". I never gave a warning to a driver with one...We figure you bought it to speed and evade...and got caught...

Traffic violation...nature has a lot to do with it. i.e. don't expect break if you're hauling ass.

Traffic record...Telling me that your going to loose your license because you were one point shy of mandatory suspension.....Uh maybe you need to loose it.

Attitude...One of the most important...I always gave the ticket...made dude sign it..and gave them yellow receipt before making a decision. Everyone with a lick of sense will be nice before they get the ticket...I was looking for the attitude AFTER they got it. If they were apolgetic and sincere at that time, I''d think about cutting them a break

Car? Too me has little to do with it..only if it's illegal..tires so wide they stick out from fenders and sling rocks at cars behind them...Working Nitrous system here is illegal [GA]...dangerous equipment..loud boom stereos, too much tint on windows...etc. Most would generate warnings unless attitude bad.

Car Color....nothing to do with it. But the caveat there is that bright/colorful cars stick out...and draw attention...so if you violating the above...you may get noticed...

I'm sure others will add their comments as well

Last edited:

shfd739

Established Member
Being nice is important.I expressed this to my hardheaded little brother when he turned 16,he got caught doing 30 over,he was nice and respectful joked around a little with the officer and got wrote for 15 over meaning traffic school and no reckless driving added on.Ive got a firefighter tag and a paramedic helmet cresecnt on my back window of my truck plus a dash light,I always get a man slow it down verbal warning and thats it.I was about to get one a couple years ago and told the officer I couldnt go back to traffic school Id been twice in two years,He made comment about that getting expensive asked where I worked,told him 911 center he let me go.The two I paid for I was not in my normal car so I got tickets,I have slowed down though as I ve grown up,and Ive seen too often what speeding and that sudden stop can do.

Lawman85

Banned
What is up with this topic? Isn't there another thread about 3 down that has the exact same topic? After reading all of these I have come to one conclusion... no more breaks.... all tickets for all offenses, that's the only fair way to do it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
jshen said:
Have to do with a lot of things, for example

Radar detector? You got your break when you "opened the box". I never gave a warning to a driver with one...We figure you bought it to speed and evade...and got caught...

Traffic violation...nature has a lot to do with it. i.e. don't expect break if you're hauling ass.

Traffic record...Telling me that your going to loose your license because you were one point shy of mandatory suspension.....Uh maybe you need to loose it.

Attitude...One of the most important...I always gave the ticket...made dude sign it..and gave them yellow receipt before making a decision. Everyone with a lick of sense will be nice before they get the ticket...I was looking for the attitude AFTER they got it. If they were apolgetic and sincere at that time, I''d think about cutting them a break

Car? Too me has little to do with it..only if it's illegal..tires so wide they stick out from fenders and sling rocks at cars behind them...Working Nitrous system here is illegal [GA]...dangerous equipment..loud boom stereos, too much tint on windows...etc. Most would generate warnings unless attitude bad.

Car Color....nothing to do with it. But the caveat there is that bright/colorful cars stick out...and draw attention...so if you violating the above...you may get noticed...

I'm sure others will add their comments as well

That is pretty much perfect and covers the spectrum.

I will add when I was a road deputy the most important factor was telling me the truth and not being a beligerant ass.

jspoon54

Established Member
If your speeding your getting a ticket, on main roads & express ways I give you 15 over and stop you at 16. People always ask for a break and I tell them the first 15 over was your break. Color or make of car doesn't matter, color or gender of the driver doesn't matter. What does matter is the type of road and area (school zone, residential, construction zone) where you wouldn't get much of a break. BTW your attitude does have an effect. If I ask you if you know why I stopped you and you say "no" and were 16 over on the expressway plan on getting a big ticket. If you are honest that will help you. The majoprity of people I issue violations to thank me and the end of the stop. Maybe I'm too nice.

Lawman85

Banned
I have a system for breaks:
Mondays- red domestic cars get breaks
Tuesdays- blue imports get breaks
Wednesday- black 4 doors (any brand) get breaks, unless it's over cast, then it's gray 4 doors
Thursday- motorcycle day
Friday- Mustang day!!!!
Saturday- minivan (domestic)
Sunday- minivan (import)

Seems to work for me...

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Wednesday- black 4 doors (any brand) get breaks, unless it's over cast, then it's gray 4 doors
Thursday- motorcycle day
Friday- Mustang day!!!!
Sunday- minivan (import)

Seems to work for me...

Woohoo!! :pepper: :burnout:

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
I got a ticket from a state trooper on the way into work one afternoon. Im a Paramedic and was in uniform. I was doing 80 ina 70 on the freeway....man I was so pissed I couldnt see strait. But I was nice and polite because he was doing his job. And when we are working a wreck on the freeway and that trooper is blocking traffic so we dont get killed by some non paying attention jack arss on the phone then I hope he will do the same no brakes job he did on me.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Thursday- motorcycle day
Friday- Mustang day!!!!
Sunday- minivan (import)

Seems to work for me...

If i print this and carry it with me in my car. Do you think Texas LEO's will honor it? :-D

EDIT: spelling

slvRsrpnt

on my 5th 'stang
Established Member
jshen said:

once they have been cooperative and courteous signed the ticket etc, do you tell them to have a nice day and toss the ticket when you give them a break leaving them to sweat it out, or do you actually say that you are going to give them a break?

one other question. does it help at all just to come out and ask for a break?
in your oppinion does it promote a conversation that may end with a change of heart?

jshen

Established Member
slvRsrpnt said:
once they have been cooperative and courteous signed the ticket etc, do you tell them to have a nice day and toss the ticket when you give them a break leaving them to sweat it out, or do you actually say that you are going to give them a break?

in your oppinion does it promote a conversation that may end with a change of heart?

No, I would turn to walk away, stop and say "Let me see you're yellow copy" If they were still polite I would say "Your attitude shows me you were really remorseful and I feel a warning is in order rather than a fine- The whole point of a ticket is to get people to obey the law" I would write "warning" on their ticket..and on mine. My supervisors didn't like me doing that...for reasons I did not understand...nor cared to understand. I once had a supervisor tell me to make a ticket a warning...[friend of his] and I did not do so and he made life tough for a while....I got the last laugh when I became legal advisor to the PD..and..kept him in my ,,,thoughts

Your second question...most everyone asks for a break...That, I ignor

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
slvRsrpnt said:

Actually, in California there is no such animal as a "warning ticket". You receive a verbal warning or a written citation - there is no middle ground.

If an officer issues a citation and then destroys all but the violators copy, he would be subjected to serious discipline up to and including termination. Our citations are numbered and must be accounted for. If you damage one, make a serious mistake or just want to start one over, you must void out the citation and all of its copies and submit them to your supervisor for filing.

Once you put pen to paper, you are committed to a course of action that cannot and should not be altered. There is no room for a change of heart.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
mswaim said:
Actually, in California there is no such animal as a "warning ticket". You receive a verbal warning or a written citation - there is no middle ground.

If an officer issues a citation and then destroys all but the violators copy, he would be subjected to serious discipline up to and including termination. Our citations are numbered and must be accounted for. If you damage one, make a serious mistake or just want to start one over, you must void out the citation and all of its copies and submit them to your supervisor for filing.

Once you put pen to paper, you are committed to a course of action that cannot and should not be altered. There is no room for a change of heart.

I think it might be like that in Texas too; I say this because I was pulled over once and written a citation for expired insurance then when the LEO was writing the ticket I realized that I had just handed him an expired insurance card and that I did have valid insurance in my car. He said he had all ready written the ticket and could do nothing. Oh well, it wasn't expensive.

Lawman85

Banned
slvRsrpnt said:

Myself, and some other LEO's hate it when people ask for breaks. By asking that I assume you have many other citations in your past and probably don't deserve one, that is why you are asking for one. It pisses alot of LEO's off... I wouldn't advise doing it.

jshen

Established Member
mswaim said:

I must admit it's been 20 years since I was on the PD and I'm sure things have changed. During my tenure, everything was in writing....no verbal warnings allowed because people complained about being stopped by officer w/o reason. Therefore, the paper trail. Now with video/audio I guess that isn't necessary. A couple of years back...a number of GSP troopers got in trouble for making tickets "warnings" I don't know the specifics...but I was fortunate to work in the "good ole years"..

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Hey Lawman85,
So where will you be in Powder Springs this Friday? I feel like testing your system!
j/k of course. P.S. Have you had any paint problems with yours? I am thinking of taking mine in or writing a letter to Ford for the paint chipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread