ZX3 Upgrade time

TOZOVR

Established Member
He folks figured I'd ask this here as opposed to snooping around the Focus forums...

My brother has an '00 ZX3 and it's in need of some maintenance. I've convinced him it's time to upgrade some parts. The suspension is being replaced by the SVT Suspension Kit from Ford Motorsport (just easy to do and deal with as we need springs/struts etc anyhow).

The flex pipe extension is leaking pretty badly...the rest is solid. Should we just hit the local performance exhaust shop and have them do a system, including the flexpipe extension? Or is the Steeda part a decent addition?

Basically I'm curious as to where the best gains are made on the Zetec 16v. The intake looks ridiculous...is it a big restriction?

He will be learning to autocross in the car this season so basic mods that won't land him in a fierce class would be nice (Though not key as he's just looking for some seat time now).

Thanks,

RJ

jasonpalamar

Established Member
Honestly, the base ZX3 isn't worth upgrading unless you are dropping a ton of money. You are better off buying an SVT right off the bat. Every bolt on in the world to your base wouldn't even match up.

TOZOVR

Established Member
Not really looking for huge power here, looking for something that will be more competitive in Auto X...if we start swapping cams etc it will bump him into a higher class and the car won't be competitive. There are fast cars you make faster and slow cars you make less slow....we're looking for less slow...and grippier :)

The car is getting the SVT suspension, so that is a start (not a huge leap over stock, but leaps and bounds better than worn stock).

HTPerformance

I would recommend doing the suspension, wheels, tires all out. Then work on the intake and exhaust.

Suspension upgrades will help a lot with the autoX.
Replace all of the rubber bushings with polyurethane, upgrade the anti-sway bars, strut tower bars, svt brake kit, braided brake hoses.

wjrountree

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
+1 on the suspension mods.

In my opinion the intake/exhaust should definately be the next on your list. If it was an SVT I'd say put an Off Road Pipe on with an Intake and a tune and let her ride....not sure about the best exhaust systems on a base zx3.

Hell, see if you can find a wrecked SVT and pull the exhaust off it....they are supposed flow as well as any of the aftermarket ones....and i bet you could get one from the salvage yard cheap!!

TOZOVR

Established Member
+1 on the suspension mods.

In my opinion the intake/exhaust should definately be the next on your list. If it was an SVT I'd say put an Off Road Pipe on with an Intake and a tune and let her ride....not sure about the best exhaust systems on a base zx3.

Hell, see if you can find a wrecked SVT and pull the exhaust off it....they are supposed flow as well as any of the aftermarket ones....and i bet you could get one from the salvage yard cheap!!

Actually have one coming! $140 shipped from a guy on Focaljet

wjrountree

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Good deal....i think you will be impressed with the sound...i love my svtf. Do you have to run a cat...or can you delete it with an off road pipe?? That def. helps out the svt a lot.

Also, do you have any plans for a clutch/lightened flywheel combo?? I know the svt's flywheel weighs a ton and the only real advantage it the added inertia when launching.

What size/brand rims/tires are you gonna be runnin?(Pics would be great) Also, are you concerned with weight on the rims???(I would be)

Maybe a rear seat delete???

Users who are viewing this thread