zoom clutch ?

jvc1990

Established Member
i was wondering if zoom zvt variable torque clutches would be good for 01 cobra. part # is zzz-403081. if not, what would be good for it. the car has aftermarket coil on plugs, jlt cold air intake , aftermarket cats & pypes m-80 mufflers. just wondering before i spent money on something that dident work.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
i was wondering if zoom zvt variable torque clutches would be good for 01 cobra. part # is zzz-403081. if not, what would be good for it. the car has aftermarket coil on plugs, jlt cold air intake , aftermarket cats & pypes m-80 mufflers. just wondering before i spent money on something that dident work.

Zoom clutches suck. Get a Fidanza or a spec.

The zoom clutch will be fine. I had 2 of them, albeit the first pressure plate created hot spots on the clutch and flywheel. I sent the first one back for inspection they tested it and found 2 faulty pressure plate fingers to be bad. They sent me an upgraded unit and also sent me a free choice of aluminum or steel flywheel, and had it on the car for about 7000 miles no problem. I only switch because I went with a built trans and 26 spline input shaft and had to change. They stand behind their product and the customer service was great for me. It drove fine and felt like stock and engaged super smooth. My dad ran a zvt clutch on his powerstroke diesel. Worked great with a tow mode tune and a load of cattle, and on the 125hp race tune.

tistan

Established Member
The zoom clutch will be fine. I had 2 of them, albeit the first pressure plate created hot spots on the clutch and flywheel. I sent the first one back for inspection they tested it and found 2 faulty pressure plate fingers to be bad. They sent me an upgraded unit and also sent me a free choice of aluminum or steel flywheel, and had it on the car for about 7000 miles no problem. I only switch because I went with a built trans and 26 spline input shaft and had to change. They stand behind their product and the customer service was great for me. It drove fine and felt like stock and engaged super smooth. My dad ran a zvt clutch on his powerstroke diesel. Worked great with a tow mode tune and a load of cattle, and on the 125hp race tune.

Wow! you have determined the quality of zoom based of one defective clutch and one you put 7k miles on. I have had 2 zoom clutches fail me in less than 10k miles when I had my 95 gt, also their clutch cable and quadrant that didn't last a year. I don't want to buy from a company that stands behind their crappy products. I want to buy from companies who build it right the first time. I really don't like pulling my transmission to do a clutch ever few thousand miles. If you are paying someone to do your clutch, you are looking at $4-500 every time it needs to be fixed.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Wow! you have determined the quality of zoom based of one defective clutch and one you put 7k miles on. I have had 2 zoom clutches fail me in less than 10k miles when I had my 95 gt, also their clutch cable and quadrant that didn't last a year. I don't want to buy from a company that stands behind their crappy products. I want to buy from companies who build it right the first time. I really don't like pulling my transmission to do a clutch ever few thousand miles. If you are paying someone to do your clutch, you are looking at $4-500 every time it needs to be fixed.

Haha people like you make me laugh. People have problems with all clutch brands, ive read plenty of horror stories about spec and centerforce clutches too. My dads clutch has over 100k miles on it, and still going stong so ive referenced 3 clutches. They also paid for all the labor, shipping, and the brand new aluminum flywheel came out of their pocket. On the clutch i had 7000 miles on it also had over 300 1/4 mile passes on it as well. Still looked great when i pulled it out. Even on the faulty pressure plate it had no problem holding the power, only reason I noticed it was because the pedal feel would be a tad softer once in a blue moon.The majority of people would have never noticed. Im sure if you got a bad clutch from centerforce, you would bitch and say they are a terrible company too. And its your fault for buying anything other than a stock clutch cable, everyone on here will tell you that as well. All the aftermarket ones are known for stretching and breaking and leading to quadrant problems. He is on stock power man, i could carve out a damn wooden disk that would hold the power, he will be fine with a zoom clutch if chooses to purchase it, if he does get a bad apple they will replace it and pay for the labor. There are multiple stories that back that claim up as well. Do you have anything bad to say about a Kustom Klutch from promotion? because im running their bastardized kit made up of pieces from multiple companies. Holds ~500rwhp no problems. My best friend from highschool had a 4v swapped gt and had a fidanza clutch explode on him within the first 25 miles, put a hole in his bellhouse and dented the trans tunnel. But by your logic that would make them a shit company. SMH

OP get a clutch made to hold the power you make. Dont go nuts and get a clutch that is rated to hold over 600hp/tq for your stock application. Thats where problems start, whether its clutch or driveline related.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
Ok you win. OP just google Zoom clutch problems, and them google spec and fidanza. There is a reason Advanced sells zoom clutches, it is cheap Chinese crap like rest of their parts.

Users who are viewing this thread