zmax?

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
okay so i went to good ole canadian tire to pick up some floor mats and couple of fluids today and then BOOM...i see the ZMAX package calling my name. I always wanted to try it out so i buy it. The previous owner said he put it in the car and had no problems, and he did notice better mileage and a cleaner running car. No noticible power gains or anything... What is your opinion on this stuff??

And is there any other way of putting in the tranny formula on a manual 5-liter without pulling the fill-plug on the tranny housing?

Last edited:

PJM99

Established Member
I don't trust those "as seen on TV" additives. I don't trust very many additives for that matter. ZMAX was sued by the FTC for missleading customers.........

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm

I would honestly stay the hell away from that crap....

"According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site."

Enough said to keep me away, read the article, its interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread