Zex Wet Kit (82023) ?

slvercobra04

Established Member
I have a 04 cobra and was plaining on installing the Zex Wet Kit (82023), I have a 2.8 Pulley,MAV X pipe,Magna flows Mufflers,Diablo Predator,And a FIPK Kit making 452HP And 450TQ. Is this the kit to go with and is it safe to use what else do i need to do before ]install

speeddemon2000

Established Member
To answer your questions. The kit is ok. There is a couple of problems I have run into.

What I like:

- The solenoids are enclosed in nice looking aluminum case.
- The electronics for full throttle activation is much nicer than some of manual switches provided by competitors.

What I don’t like:

- The unit is not sealed. The electronics inside are not sealed either. Any water at all around the unit will cause it screw up for obvious reasons. If I was going to continue to use the electronics I would put them in a water ballon to keep out the water. I am going to 86 the electronics and use the FJO Racing mini-nitrous controller.

- Like many of the off the shelf units you’ll find from other companies you’ll need bigger solenoids to go much past a 150 shot.

Things you’ll need:

- You will need a bottle warmer. I bought the dynotune one with the pressure sensor.

- You will also need a Window switch. I just bought the FJO progressive nitrous controller that has the window switch as well.

- You'll need a purge. It will not hit hard at all until you purge out the air.

- You will probably want to look at a Boost-A-Pump as some point as well.

Last edited:

Machinator

Banned
speeddemon2000 said:
To answer your questions. The kit is ok. There is a couple of problems I have run into.

What I like:

- The solenoids are enclosed in nice looking aluminum case.
- The electronics for full throttle activation is much nicer than some of manual switches provided by competitors.

What I don’t like:

- The unit is not sealed. The electronics inside are not sealed either. Any water at all around the unit will cause it screw up for obvious reasons. If I was going to continue to use the electronics I would put them in a water ballon to keep out the water. I am going to 86 the electronics and use the FJO Racing mini-nitrous controller.

- Like many of the off the shelf units you’ll find from other companies you’ll need bigger solenoids to go much past a 150 shot.

Things you’ll need:

- You will need a bottle warmer. I bought the dynotune one with the pressure sensor.

- You will also need a Window switch. I just bought the FJO progressive nitrous controller that has the window switch as well.

- You'll need a purge. It will not hit hard at all until you purge out the air.

- You will probably want to look at a Boost-A-Pump as some point as well.

Good stuff to know.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
BTW I I have the Dyno Jet WBC preventing the system from running lean. What I ended up doing was rewiring the zex unit so I was only turning off power to the nitrous solenoid instead of to the entire unit. What was happening is I would go lean for a breif second and the WBC was turning off the entire unit. It would repeat on and off on and off. By wiring it only to the Nitrous solenoid what happens now is the fuel kicks in it goes rich then the nitrous comes on. It's pretty bad a$$. You hit full boost and a 1/4 second later here comes the Nitrous for another kick in the but. It's like an old 4 barrel with a vacuum operated secondary. I'll try and post some of the videos I have taken later tonight. I still need some more tunning though. I have only run a bottle and half through and encountered several bugs along the way. Like a bad fuse holder and water in the Zex electronics. I have sent my blower to steigy so I am pretty much going to be starting over tweaking this thing. Oh one more thing to watch out for on wet kits is some people report fuel presure drops when the fuel solenoid opens. With the DJ WBC you don't have to worry about that so much because there is no Nitrous until you're rich.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
On what is safe and what’s not I can defiantly tell you that a 100 shot is border line. I have had good luck so far but I am only on my second bottle. Just look at the engine failure thread and you will see what I am talking about. I feel ok about the nitrous because in Georgia if I really have to I can ride my motorcycle year round. I also have two backup cars I can drive as well. If you can’t afford down time look hard at a Nitrous system. I feel much better knowing I have the safety of the Dyno Jet Wide Band Commander. It’s really a must with anything other than stock. It lets you know wither your running rich or lean. It also cuts off fuel if your run too lean. On the ZEX kit what your getting is a really good full throttle switch and the nice box to house the solenoids. The rest is just normal off the shelf parts. The kit was cheap too. I bought it off ebay for around $450. Zex advertises that their system can compensate for low bottle pressure. From what I have seen this is not the case. It runs rich like any other kit when the bottle pressure is low.

Should you buy the kit?

It depends on your plans . If your always going to keep the stock blower then look at the NOS kit. I think I remember seeing it for less than $500. The problem with the NOS kit I know for a fact that their plate will not work with a kenne bell. Keep in mind you can adapt the NOS plate with other systems. So if you like the Zex head unit you can buy the NOS plate and use it with the Zex kit. From what I have seen on the forums the kits making the most power are the dry kits. You will need more fuel mods with dry kits. At this point I have had more then enough fuel with the Zex kit and no fuel upgrades. To run a 100 dry shot with your mods I think you’ll need a boost-A-Pump and injectors. If you want cheap power I think the Zex kit is good bang for the buck. If you are looking at bang for the buck I think the minimum you can get a way with on a nitrous setup are the following:

Wet system: ~$450
Window: Switch: ~$80
Bottle Warmer: ~$100
Tune/AF check: Check with your tunner. You are going to need a separate NOS and blower only tune. You can buy a flip chip. In my case I bought a SCT tunner.

I am the only one I know off on this forum using a Zex kit on a 03 cobra. In the future Once I do a built engine I will get some Solenoids capable of a 200 shot, either from NOS or NX and ditch the Zex head unit.

Keep in mind that Zex is Compcams. They make some bad a$$ cams which makes me feel a little better about buying one of their kits.

I know this is long but there are lots of options with Nitrous. Let me know what your planning and I’ll make some suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread