ZEX safe shot and tuning on 2002 mustang gt

armyavnguy

Established Member
I am considering purchasing the new nitrous kit from ZEX the safe shot, rated to 15-35 hp shots, my questions are... Has anyone purchased with kit and installed it with out tuning their car.. I have heard it's not required??? There is an upgrade to this kit which is 75-150 hp shots, I know it's safe on stock 4.6s with more than 150 shot and that is pushing it... My car has SCT SF3/X3 (with free tunes for life thank god), steed underdrive pullies, bbk 78mm plenum/throttle, MAC CAI, Single chamber flowmasters.... Any info with this or anyones experiences I will be glad to hear.

My goals are to get into the 8's in the local 1/8th mile track

pwrshft99

Established Member
A few years back I ran a Zex kit with both a 75 and then a100 shot, untuned, on my GT with no issues.

I did run colder plugs and octane boost..

armyavnguy

Established Member
See I have heard this too, but also heard tune is mandatory... I would like to run the 75 shot... But just hearing what people have on this kit... My car just broke the 60,000 mile mark so I don't have to many concerns with that....did you use the nitrous on the stock motor across the board.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Had a good friend run hundreds of bottles at 125 through his 2002 GT with a Steeda timing adjuster and colder plugs.

pwrshft99

Established Member
I had the usual cold air and exhaust mods but the motor was otherwise factory stock. A 75 shot will be fine, just use colder plugs (I used NGK TR6) and high octane pump gas (93 here).

Depending on your mileage a fuel pump upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea. If you know your going to be spraying NOS octane booster is cheap insurance, Autozone sells it.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
Torco accelerator works well to if you are that worried. If u have 5 gallons at the track just use half a quart. will make it over 100 octane then u wont have to pull any timing for the 50-75 shot most likely. Start slow, use the 50 and read plugs and a a wide band would be nice too.

I would use the colder plugs too tho, and def blow out all the new solenoids and parts. there could be little piece of metal in there for machining it and it could clog the jet. most people don't mention that on a new kit. But the first time ur car runs super lean from it, u will def start doing it. lol

Om3ga47

PIIHB
Established Member
Colder plugs, if your are tapered which I believe they are just get NGK TR7's. Do not forget for every 50 shot you must pull 2 degrees of timing. (i.e. 50 -2, 100 -4, 150 -6 etc). Higher octane of course the better of course that goes with out saying. I have ran numerous kits with no issues. 6 kits and 30+ bottles on different cars emptied in the past few years not a single backfire or problem. Nitrous is very safe as long as you do it smart, and remember don't get greedy, don't over rev, and don't spray during a shift (a WOT switch will eliminate this possibility).

Users who are viewing this thread