Zero Turn Mowers

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I've only got .50 acres, and I only use a 46" deck iirc. The narrower deck helps with maneuvering, and the front wheels do turn 87° which helps too. It isn't a zero turn, but it does alright. I just needed something that cold do my back hill that is 8% in a couple areas.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Just be careful with the deck width. I'm glad we stuck with a 54", though there are areas that I can easily scalp/miss if I don't approach them right. My neighbor has a little more lawn acreage than I do leading down to his vineyard, and no joke, this guy cuts it all with a 42" deck. Takes him 3-4 hours, but the cut quality is amazing on the hill.

I’m sticking with a 60”.

Sure it scalps a few areas (at least my current as it doesn't swivel or pivot) but I’ll take it to save time.

My yard isn’t a show yard and never will be. Just want to cut it, clean the mower deck out, rinse, repeat.

CV355

_
Established Member
I’m sticking with a 60”.

Sure it scalps a few areas (at least my current as it doesn't swivel or pivot) but I’ll take it to save time.

My yard isn’t a show yard and never will be. Just want to cut it, clean the mower deck out, rinse, repeat.

Oh I'm the same way. I keep my yard at what I'd consider B+ work. I thought about a larger 72" deck, but a coworker of mine who used to work for Kubota schooled me on why it wouldn't be a wise idea. 60" is about the max I'd ever go for anything less than a perfectly flat lot. If the rollers are set right, worst case you get some digs here and there that heal over quick.

Only thing I hate about my yard is that around July/August, all of the massive orb weavers come out and leave webs between the trees, so I hold a broom while mowing during those months. Neighbor comes out, sees me jousting spiders, shakes his head, laughs, goes back inside.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh I'm the same way. I keep my yard at what I'd consider B+ work. I thought about a larger 72" deck, but a coworker of mine who used to work for Kubota schooled me on why it wouldn't be a wise idea. 60" is about the max I'd ever go for anything less than a perfectly flat lot. If the rollers are set right, worst case you get some digs here and there that heal over quick.

Only thing I hate about my yard is that around July/August, all of the massive orb weavers come out and leave webs between the trees, so I hold a broom while mowing during those months. Neighbor comes out, sees me jousting spiders, shakes his head, laughs, goes back inside.

That’s intense.

Have you mastered the dual-sticks with one hand or do you have a joystick to keep the jousting hand free?

I’m getting good enough with my twin stick controls now that I don’t have to put my beer down around trees or the pond anymore.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That’s intense.

Have you mastered the dual-sticks with one hand or do you have a joystick to keep the jousting hand free?

I’m getting good enough with my twin stick controls now that I don’t have to put my beer down around trees or the pond anymore.

Have you mastered two sticks with one hand... LMAO!

CV355

_
Established Member
That’s intense.

Oh, no I wound up not getting a Zero turn- I picked up a BX subcompact tractor instead. It was sort of a compromise- a ZT would be so much nicer for mowing, but can't run the implements we're planning on using. I can totally see why Brad wants a ZT.

I keep one hand on the steering wheel and the other swings the broom. After going face first through an argiope web between two Crepe Myrtles and feeling that sucker run down my neck and back... Nope. They don't bite without provocation thankfully.

Have you mastered two sticks with one hand... LMAO!

Oh damn. XD

jjscobra18

Established Member
I have run about every brand over the years. I prefer different brands for different landscapes. I prefer scag for cutting more field/pasture, hills. Best all around would be an Exmark or Bobcat. Cant beat Bobcat for the money.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I mow 3 acres with my Grasshopper 725, has a 60" deck. I love it.

I am interested in looking in to a Hustler Super 104. Super 104® | Hustler Wide-Area Zero-Turn Riding Mowers - Commercial

I have a buddy who just bought a smaller Hustler and really likes it.

Hustler 933614 Raptor FlipUp Zero Turn Riding Mower 48" 25hp Kohler Engine

I demo'd the 104 last year. But at 26K I'll get one used and stuck with my 72"
Just picked up a 2nd 72" at auction last week.

@03cobra#694 Full Blown Commercial is gonna be hard at a $4K budget new.
If it were me, The best model from eXmark or Hustler you can get.
I do like Gravely's new stuff and have some friends with them.
After that, Kabota, Commercial Cub Cadet, Bobcat, etc........
I will say that I know Kabota had some issues lately.
Husler cheaper units had some issues with bolts coming loose but were fine after you tightened them.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I'm having a hard time finding any kind of a 'decent' used one.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Funny story that I remembered after reading some of y'alls replies.

Friend of mine and I work together, and we always talk about dude stuff (cars, trucks, tractors, motors). Well we both recently decided we want small Kubota tractors, yet we both have about the same .4-.5 of an acre lot. His fiancee and my wife think it's ridiculous, we think it's amazing.

Anyway, My birthday was a few weeks ago, and the wife/I were walking downtown. We hit up a local bar we like, then she drags me thru Vineyard Vines. Me being me, I'm hard to buy anything for. I just kept saying no I don't need that, no I don't want that. Eventually she got mad, and told me I had to pick something, otherwise I get a bunch of T-shirts. Thanks to Yuengling (many of them), I proceeded to say "No I want a god dang Kubota tractor" every time she asked me if I wanted whatever she was holding.

I've never gotten more weird looks from more people. I don't think anyone in that store that day could've spelled Kubota. When we finally checked out, the guy who looked like he was going to be a skipper on a sail boat in the Mediterranean rushed us out.

lol.

CV355

_
Established Member
Funny story that I remembered after reading some of y'alls replies.

Friend of mine and I work together, and we always talk about dude stuff (cars, trucks, tractors, motors). Well we both recently decided we want small Kubota tractors, yet we both have about the same .4-.5 of an acre lot. His fiancee and my wife think it's ridiculous, we think it's amazing.

Anyway, My birthday was a few weeks ago, and the wife/I were walking downtown. We hit up a local bar we like, then she drags me thru Vineyard Vines. Me being me, I'm hard to buy anything for. I just kept saying no I don't need that, no I don't want that. Eventually she got mad, and told me I had to pick something, otherwise I get a bunch of T-shirts. Thanks to Yuengling (many of them), I proceeded to say "No I want a god dang Kubota tractor" every time she asked me if I wanted whatever she was holding.

I've never gotten more weird looks from more people. I don't think anyone in that store that day could've spelled Kubota. When we finally checked out, the guy who looked like he was going to be a skipper on a sail boat in the Mediterranean rushed us out.

lol.

We love ours. Not sure I could justify it for any less acreage than we currently have though. What are you planning on using a full-blown tractor for?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
We love ours. Not sure I could justify it for any less acreage than we currently have though. What are you planning on using a full-blown tractor for?

I mean, what wouldn't I use it for?

I could take engines out. Load my truck. Go get the mail. Bushhog the yard. Dig a hole. Run stuff over.

The list goes on.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

@03cobra#694 Full Blown Commercial is gonna be hard at a $4K budget new.
If it were me, The best model from eXmark or Hustler you can get.
I do like Gravely's new stuff and have some friends with them.
After that, Kabota, Commercial Cub Cadet, Bobcat, etc........
I will say that I know Kabota had some issues lately.
Husler cheaper units had some issues with bolts coming loose but were fine after you tightened them.
Been actually reading some good stuff about the Cub Cadets Barry.

CV355

_
Established Member

I could take engines out. Load my truck. Go get the mail. Bushhog the yard. Dig a hole. Run stuff over.

The list goes on.

All valid points. :)
My neighbor has the same BX I have. He drives his up the street now and then. Haven't figured out why. Sometimes we think he just does it to escape at 8mph.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'm having a hard time finding any kind of a 'decent' used one.

One down here with 675 hours can be had in the 11K range every now and then.

The list goes on.
I also have a BX2380. The front end loaded on it will struggle to lift a engine.

Been actually reading some good stuff about the Cub Cadets Barry.

Only commercial. Do not buy the residential. That is a MTD.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
One down here with 675 hours can be had in the 11K range every now and then.

I also have a BX2380. The front end loaded on it will struggle to lift a engine.

Only commercial. Do not buy the residential. That is a MTD.
Yep, also heard things about the Toro. You around later?

Users who are viewing this thread