Zero Turn Mowers

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We're moving to our new place in a few weeks so I'm finalizing the ZT choice. We ended up getting a place with a bit more land (2.6 acres) and a lot more grass than what I was originally researching for.

Instead of the Cub Cadet ZT2 I decided to go a little more rugged, now I'm looking at a Spartan RZ HD 54" with the 25hp B&S Commercial. Anybody have first-hand experience with this brand? From what I've seen so far they look really well made and reliable, but being relatively new (late 2015) I was hoping somebody here had experience with them, good or bad.

Stick with a name brand, and a Kawasaki motor. And don't buy from a big box store, you will have zero customer support.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Spartans are a name brand, from the same guy that co-founded Bad Boy. You can only buy them from dealers, I don't shop the big box stores, I've seen the way they assemble their mowers haha.

As for mowers, I was reading on some forums that the Kawasaki line wasn't as dependable as the cyclonic B&S engines (commercial series)? You can option a Spartan out with either the B&S, Kawasaki, or Kohler.

Here's a link to the specs of the RZ line:
Spartan RZ Series Mower | Spartan Mowers | Zero Turn Mowers

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Kawasaki, Kohler, B&S in that order.
And spartan IMO just like bad boy are fine for residential work. I know a few who tried them in a commercial setting and they just didn't hold up as well as eXmark, Scag, hustler...
You will put a fraction of the hours they do.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ll take a Kawi any day and twice on Sunday as opposed to a Command Pro or Vanguard. Just personal preference, and the fact that I’m not wasting time wrenching on crap or constantly adding oil anymore with the latter two.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Ok, somebody did their homework. I bought the mulch kit when I first bought it, but this time of year with wet long grass it was useless on my old mowers. What the heck, let’s try. Jacked it up, swapped the blades and put on the mulch blocks. Holy shit, this thing will cut some damn grass. It about 5-6” long. Not sure if it’s the vented deck, or blade speed. I’m extremely impressed so far. 6.5 hours, so oil change next weekend.

Sent from somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread