Z28 taking an 01'?

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
OK, sorry but heres another VS. Is it possible for ANY stock Z28 to take a stock 01' Cobra? Both with average drivers.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Absolutely, off the line especially. The lack of torque and gearing the N/A Cobras had, made them slow for what they were stock.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Z will win every time if it's an LS1, hands down. If you're winning, the other guy sucks at driving.

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
I know nothing almost nothing about the Chevy engines. Are the LS1's alot more powerful than the LT1's? WHat year did the LS1's Replace the LT's? What are the big differences. I thought the LS1's were only in the T/A's and Vettes.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Stallion9769 said:
I know nothing almost nothing about the Chevy engines. Are the LS1's alot more powerful than the LT1's? WHat year did the LS1's Replace the LT's? What are the big differences. I thought the LS1's were only in the T/A's and Vettes.

The LS1 was put into Camaros and Firebirds in '98 (same year they refreshed the bodies). They're beastly motors that respond well to mods and have a plethora of factory supplied upgrades thanks to the Z06.

onicrom

online predator
Established Member
my car has 8 billion horsepower and torque.... just from the intake... ture story...

noooo...but seriously, i have a jlt complet cai, o/r x pipe and bassani exhaust and 4.30s... and i beat a z.... but you said stock.. so... i dont know why im here... sorry..

venomboysvt

Established Member
Honestly I think it would be a drivers race....if it was a SS then i would go for the camaro, but i took a few z28 /w ls1s with mine.

MineralGrey

Established Member
its a drivers race. My best friend has and SS and i beat him by like nothing. All i have is a solid axle, mac x-pipe, and bassani catback and we stay right next to each other for awhile but then i start pulling by so little it doesnt matter so i think stock vs stock against a z28 would be all driver put alittle work into either car and that will be the winner

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Drivers race. If I'm perfect with everything I'm about dead even with my buddies 02SS and he's gotta lid.

Scott Kim

Established Member
would have to say it's close but edge goes to Z28 without a doubt stock for stock.

stock for stock, given equal drivers the Z28 LS1 is the winner by about 1-2 lengths to 100. The same scenario with a stock Z28 LT1, cobra wins by 2-3 lenths.

the LS1 starts off from the factory stronger than our engines and also has higher NA potential than we do as well. it is almost crazy how easy it is to squeeze out NA HP from those things. there are some NA LS1's running around taking down '03-'04 cobras putting down 450rwhp. that being said our cobras are easier to SC.

lets not get too myopic in our enthusiasm for our cobras, that we begin to follow the ricer habit of shitting on other cars that are legitimately faster than us.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
venomboysvt said:
if it was a SS then i would go for the camaro.
that is the sadest statement ever made on a car board.

come closer I want to tell you a secret,......

THERE IS NO POWER DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE Z28 AND SS (98-02) IT A BS RAM AIR HOOD AND A SPOILER, FOR $4500....!

if the Z28 is a M6 its your ass, if its an A4 then its a drivers race 25-30rwhp is hard to make up with a stock car and a driver mod.

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
venomboysvt said:
if it was a SS then i would go for the camaro.

that is the sadest statement ever made on a car board.

come closer I want to tell you a secret,......

THERE IS NO POWER DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE Z28 AND SS (98-02) IT A BS RAM AIR HOOD AND A SPOILER, FOR $4500....!

if the Z28 is a M6 its your ass, if its an A4 then its a drivers race 25-30rwhp is hard to make up with a stock car and a driver mod.

i agree w/ the above statement...

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
In stock form, z28 M6s are faster than the a4s, but with mods it is a different story.
I ran 13.50s stock (a4) with factory 3.23 gears. Lid/catback/tune with good tires netted me 12.94@107. Can an '01 Cobra do this? Not being smart, just asking.....

I think that if cars are within a second of eachother in the 1/4, then it would probably be a drivers race...basically saying '01 Cobra vs Z28 is a drivers race.

Last edited:

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
My roomate has a 95 LT1 firebird, with a K&N CAI, airfoil, intake elbow, magnaflow catback, nitto drag radials, and M6. I ream him at a stop-he keeps spinning while i launch, and i ream him at 20,40,60 mph. the closest he has ever gotten to beating me was his fender was at my door, after we both launched at exactly the same time.

P.S. my car is a 2001 cobra with a JLT cai and magnapack WELD IN mufflers, and im rollin on hankook ventus k104's. either im a bad ass driver or cobras own...

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
impulsive1 said:
I ran 13.50s stock (a4) with factory 3.23 gears. Lid/catback/tune with good tires netted me 12.94@107. Can an '01 Cobra do this? Not being smart, just asking.....

yes...i ran 12.92 @ 106 w/ cai, u/d pullies (2-3 rwhp), o/r h pipe, catback, and NO tune (i gained 15 rwhp and 16 rwtq when i got it tuned, so that would have made an even bigger difference)...on BFG DR's....w/ the worse-hooking IRS...

EDIT: fixed the numbers that the tune gained me...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread