Z/28 overhyped!

mavisky

Established Member
I've been comparing this more to the 2000 Cobra R than to anything else Ford has built recently. The R wasn't as fast as the later Terminators in a straight line, but it was built with a purpose. I think the Z/28 is similar.

That being said, Ford didn't have another car priced similarly with better performance (Z/28 vs C7) at the time, and I don't know how many people who want a fast Chevy on the track would rather spend the money on a portly Camaro than on a Corvette. I think it's cool they built a car that's this "focused", I just hope it sells a decent amount. I think if it doesn't then you'll see other manufacturers become more hesitant to release special models of their own down the road.

OG_

Established Member
Car and Driver isn't the best bench mark to use for a cars full potential in straight line performance. IMO, I would wait to see what owners post up on the camaro forums.

mavisky

Established Member
1.06g on a damp 40 degree track though is pretty impressive and shows what this car was designed to do. Need to see test results this summer in competition with another vehicle with same day/same driver results.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Put some K springs and those Z/28 tires on a 14 track pack 5.0 and I guaranty it could and would hang with that heavy POS. Its all tires and suspension. Hello, you can get that in the aftermarket for way less than that car as a whole. What a ripoff.

Voltwings

Established Member
3900 pounds is nuts for a car with that much weight reduction.

i made that comment to a Chevy friend of mine and he had a valid point, they did add quite a bit to that car over the standard camaro. The larger breaks, more sophisticated suspension, larger rims, beffier suspension, larger engine... That being said, it is still a pig.

D.T.R

Established Member
There is nothing GM can do to that chassis and the eleventy billion different slomaros for me to change my judgment about them. They are straight up slower than a mustang. GM is better off recalling that chassis and giving those poor guys their money back and tell them to get a corvette instead, seriously.

04svtsnke

Established Member
i made that comment to a Chevy friend of mine and he had a valid point, they did add quite a bit to that car over the standard camaro. The larger breaks, more sophisticated suspension, larger rims, beffier suspension, larger engine... That being said, it is still a pig.

Road and track said the brakes actually reduce unsprung mass by 20lbs and the wheels are actually 19's instead of 20's like on the SS/Zl1. They added a few things such as the diffuser and rear wing to help with downforce. If they did all this weight reduction and it still weighs this much,well, I just dont know what to say.....

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The car tested in the C&D article had the 'optional' AC and speakers...The AC compressor and ancillary hardware/plumbing probably weighs 40-50lbs..in any event that would have made very little difference, car is still too heavy. I don't think we are likely to run across any on the road or track...@75K plus dealer mark up, I would wager that most of these Z/28s are going to rot in the garages of baby boomers.

D.T.R

Established Member
I can't wait to come accross some of those turds at Pony Wars this weekend with my ecoboost mustang lol

Voltwings

Established Member
Lets try not to be too brand loyalist here... The car is obviously going to be a performer, it has the right recipie to do so. The key issue however is what its competeing against in that price range that doesnt justify the performance / $$. Its like the $40k civic Mugen ... sure it was cool and performed and was better than the regular civic... but its still a damn $40k civic lol which no one in their right mind would buy!

D.T.R

Established Member
Lets try not to be too brand loyalist here... The car is obviously going to be a performer, it has the right recipie to do so. The key issue however is what its competeing against in that price range that doesnt justify the performance / $$. Its like the $40k civic Mugen ... sure it was cool and performed and was better than the regular civic... but its still a damn $40k civic lol which no one in their right mind would buy!

But i find your comment a little contradicting. You state that the car will perform, but then you say that for the money there will be better cars therefore is kind of not worth it. So how is that performing?

Voltwings

Established Member
But i find your comment a little contradicting. You state that the car will perform, but then you say that for the money there will be better cars therefore is kind of not worth it. So how is that performing?

i could dump $100k in a fiesta and it will perform, but is it worth my $100k to do so?

I suppose "worth" is a bit of a subjective term, but do you see my point?

Users who are viewing this thread