YZF-R6S vs. Lightning...

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
OK, just to stop the BS flags from hitting right away I'll start by stating that my L has a JLP long block that just turned 1600 miles, a 2600 converter, JLP bars, KB, Stage III porting, Stage II cams, more...more... I run DRs as my street tire...

So this morning on the way to work we have a couple intersections that have a right turn lane that ends just past the other side of the intersection so there is always a race for the lane ;-) I was in the right lane waiting for the light when this crotch rocket pulls up along side in the lane that ends in a couple hundred yards. Well I hadn't really tried out the new motor so I decided to see if I could own the lane.

When the light changed I nailed it, well as much as I could with traction limitations. But those new JLP 58" bars work really well!!! I put the bike at the rear corner of the truck. He may have gained a bike length before I hit second and put him back at the rear bumper, and at that point he let out of it because he knew he was not passing me. He rolled around behind me and came up on my left and gave the Thumbs Up on the way by.

Now this was a drivers race because I got the jump off the line and I raced him through the L's best event, the 100 yard dash :fart:

I pulled along side him at the next light and he looked over and just said NICE while he sat there looking at the truck shaking his head in dis-belief . :thumbsup:

Man this new motor pulls really hard. It is running 3#'s less boost with the cams and heads but it is making way more power. I have the 8# ring on the way to bring that 3#'s back though. I ran a 12.11 with the stock block so now with the JLP built LB and the 58" bars I am looking to get well into the 11's.

Dang I am going to hate putting a cage in my daily driver :whine:

Thanks Johnny :beer:

SVT GuY 281SC

Banned
haha badass run man! BTW Don't cage it, it ruins the integrity of the truck, besides you still get to make 1 pass without being booted :p

bmfgsxr

Established Member
great story man.. totally believable imo.. especially with a built block. it takes a highly skilled hand to run a current 600 in the 10 second range (which they are capable of). it even takes a reasonably skilled hand to get that bike in the low 11's. although 12 flats are pretty easy even for a squid.. i had a run with an older cbr 600 but it was from about 100 til the speedo was pinned and i managed to pull away from him after 130. but i think he had different gearing for better wheelies, etc. at low speeds.

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
I did a web search and found that the newer R6S averaged about 11.90 in the 1/4. I thought they would be faster. There were a couple '03s listed as running in the 10s but the newer ones were averaging high 11's.

Sure is fun having a truck can mess with stuff that runs 11's. Johnny told me that there are a couple full weight street trucks with the same motor and setup I have running 10's, but I would bet those trucks are running spray to do that. Now I still have the hitch and all the other stuff and I don't plan on making mine a pure 1/4 mile truck so I'll be happy if I can run mid 11's with my daily driver. Well for a while anyway. You know the drill, 13's are ok for while then you want 12's, then you want 11's then... then... Does it ever stop?

Tman

Established Member
Nice kill and people please dont bother raising bs flags its totally believable.
Its a bit of a drivers race too, my buddies with 600's claimed they run 10's all day long until I saw them at the track running 12's.hehe.
You've got a nice truck there man!! :beer:

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
99_venum said:
I did a web search and found that the newer R6S averaged about 11.90 in the 1/4. I thought they would be faster. There were a couple '03s listed as running in the 10s but the newer ones were averaging high 11's.

Sure is fun having a truck can mess with stuff that runs 11's. Johnny told me that there are a couple full weight street trucks with the same motor and setup I have running 10's, but I would bet those trucks are running spray to do that. Now I still have the hitch and all the other stuff and I don't plan on making mine a pure 1/4 mile truck so I'll be happy if I can run mid 11's with my daily driver. Well for a while anyway. You know the drill, 13's are ok for while then you want 12's, then you want 11's then... then... Does it ever stop?
Good kill to the original thread starter. I have an '05 R6 with just a slip on and it is the same bike as the '06 R6S. They just kept the same bike and offered it new because the '06 R6 is so track-oriented. I have been to the track twice and have ran as low as 11.1 with most bad runs in the mid 11's. I am not anything close to a professional rider, but you'd have to screw up royally to be in the high 11's or low 12's on a newer R6. My bike dynoed 108rwhp stock which is higher than all the 600's except for the 636. I'm not doubting that fast truck's+cars can't take out bikes, but most of the time, the rider is getting beat, not the bike. The new 600's are def. 10 second bikes with a skilled rider or mods.

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
Slo3kgtVtr said:
I'm not doubting that fast truck's+cars can't take out bikes, but most of the time, the rider is getting beat, not the bike. The new 600's are def. 10 second bikes with a skilled rider or mods.

I actually stated it was a drivers race in my original post. That is why I really enjoy whompin on crotch rocket drivers. The bike should always win but the rider/bike combination will loose quite often.

I have also surprised a few bikes with my Cobra, and I've been surprised by a few bikes myself :coolman: . I think what gets them is if I get the jump on 'em then they screw up trying to catch me. The Cobra has 4.56 gears and MT drag radials for street tires so it is another great 100 yard sprinter.

Can you tell I like the 100 yard dash? The 1320' dash needs to be at the track

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Nice kill man. I'm more into the slow roll off in first then let everything loose to about 70. It's always nice to be able to catch a 600 and if they don't bring it all to the fight there getting hurt :)

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
99_venum said:
I actually stated it was a drivers race in my original post. That is why I really enjoy whompin on crotch rocket drivers. The bike should always win but the rider/bike combination will loose quite often.

I have also surprised a few bikes with my Cobra, and I've been surprised by a few bikes myself :coolman: . I think what gets them is if I get the jump on 'em then they screw up trying to catch me. The Cobra has 4.56 gears and MT drag radials for street tires so it is another great 100 yard sprinter.

Can you tell I like the 100 yard dash? The 1320' dash needs to be at the track
For me, the first 300 or 400 feet on my bike are the hardest...the launch is the easiest thing to screw up on a bike. I've got a buddy with a new ZX10 who ran a 12 sec 1320 @ over 130mph!! Talk about a bad launch; that bike should be low 10's. I wish there were guys like you around here, because all we have is a bunch of ricers with 16 second cars!

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
QUIK BRIK said:
Nice kill. What kind of #s do you make on your street tune?
Well it hasn't really had the tune yet. I had it on the dyno for fuel trims at 200 miles after the new motor. He basically just checked everything out and made a partial WOT pull to check A/F ratio. On that pull he only ran up to about 4200 rpm and it was laying down 412 RWHP, it was only doing 380 RWHP with the same mods on the stock block and heads. Now the second part of the number question is this is on a Mustang Dyno not a DynoJet. I found his dyno to be close to 1.3 different than a local DynoJet that I had my Cobra on both. So if you take the 412 x 1.3 then it was putting down 535 at 4200 with a non-broke-in motor, with low boost for the break in period. It goes in in a couple weeks for the final tune with a larger lower pulley to get me back up to 16# of boost, it is only running 13# now.

I do have a Wide Band Commander and fuel pressure guages so I know the tune is safe/rich, 11.2 WOT at ~5000 rpm. So I am curious to see the numbers with the right boost and a good tune now that I have some miles on it. Basically it ran a 12.11 with the same mods before the JLP Motor and JLP 58" long bars. I do hope to be well into the 11's this year.

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
This morning I saw the same bike/guy at the same intersection. Can you believe that? Only I was in the far right lane that runs out. I looked over at him and he said "I am not awake enough this morning", plus there was traffic that turned in front of us so it wasn't a clear road. He said I caught him by surprise the first time but he still couldn't believe how fast a truck could be. So it sounds like I was right. I got the jump and he screwed up trying to catch up. Beat the driver.

But it was a kill non the less :beer:

I would say 98% of all street races are a drivers race. I have been doing this for 40 years so I'll stand on the "Old Age and Treachery Will Beat Youth Every time" rule. :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread