Yuppie Austinite, Porsche 911, Temp Tags

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
/penned by my college buddy visiting from Europe, John:

It's the week before Christmas in Austin. You are cruising on a Wednesday evening in your just picked up Porsche. Sure, it's an early 80's 911, but its got a whale tail and it's red. The dealer tags are still on. Your trophy date by your side has 'oohhed' and 'aahhhed' appropriately. While you may have lost a little up top, your thinning ponytail is slicked up nice and life is good.

You're traveling along at a respectable speed and up ahead you see some action. A sweet 70ish Chevelle is tooling along in the center lane. It's taking advantage of the 70 degree night and is riding with the top down. In the fast lane, a Mustang is pulling even with the ragtop. You seen an opportunity for some fun and you play catchup.

The guys in the Sonic Blue Ford look to be having a good time. Their heads are banging and the tunes are thumping. They are checking out the convertible. You turn to Miss Peroxide and say, "Watch this."

A quick downshift into third gives you enough juice to start a quick right side pass on the new 2003 Mustang. You stomp down hard and jump up close, then even with the American built.

You hit it, and as you pull past the Ford, you notice the markings. Your heart sinks within your chest. A silver coiled snake glistens at you from the behind the front wheel. Then above the Judas Priest blaring from the beast's window a supercharged whine begins. The Cobra bites and pulls away. You admire how quickly its tail lights recede in front of you as the black COBRA name disappears. It's gone and Barbie asks, "What was that?"

Things slow down up ahead. You move into the fast lane and watch as the dude in the sweet Chevelle glides by the offramping Cobra. He passes them a big thumbs up. All you can manage is a weak wave and an attempt to get your date's attention back.

The last thing you see are the guys in the Cobra still laughing.

Merry Christmas :loser:

/the other side (by me)

My old college buddy and I took a cruise up from San Antonio to Austin to visit my brother. After having a great meal at the Outback Steakhouse (any of you Austin guys go by the Highland Mall store and ask for Tim, my brother, the Proprietor), we're heading north on 183 and admiring a sweet '70-ish Chevelle convertible (four round taillights) when we spy a late '70s, early '80s 911 with a whale tail. No markings on the trunk/hood, could have been about any model. The guy in the Porsche was older and didn't look interested, but the guy in the Chevelle did. After a quick third gear dusting I see Porsche "boy" whipping up behind us. He was now coming up quickly on the right (I'm in the center of three) and I drop back down to third at 60. He pulled even and made his move. I dropped the hammer and the blower whine announced our intentions. He was stunned at the rate that we passed and added distance between the vehicles.

I backed off at 90-95. The Chevelle cruised by in the fast lane and passed us a big :thumbsup: (top down). When the "sour kraut" made it back alongside us, this time on the left, his passenger (trophy date) had an inquisitive look on her face. He gave a concilatory wave, we waved back at his embarrassed smile.

We had a laugh like you wouldn't believe...

:beer:

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
The top story said the Chevelle was in the center lane...

I would have loved to watch the chevelle totally smoke that porsche. It would have been all about the motor in that case lol. I remember sitting in my friend's dad's chevelle and just giving it gas in the driveway, oh man, that torque twist is nuts.

Nice kill :thumbsup:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
The top story said the Chevelle was in the center lane...

Nice kill :thumbsup:
Thanks for the props, gang :-D

Gotta hand it to my friend John for writing the first one...:beer:

Sinister, when we approached the group of cars that included the Chevelle and 911, I passed the Chevelle (in third gear, wide open :-D) on the left while he was in the middle. Once past the pack I moved back into the middle lane and the Porsche passed the pack on the left and came all the way over to my right, since the Chevelle was now in the fast lane to my left (after also passing the pack)... When Porsche-boy made his initial move, to get into position, I knew he was now "game"...literally...lmao :-D

God I love this car :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread