ysi trim question

venm4u97

Established Member
But at the same time I don't want to leave any power on the table hoping for 900 to maybe 1000 rwhp...not sure if I can do it

Last edited:

SVTPete83

Established Member
But still use the 18% od and electric water pump?

If it was me I would go 15% and keep the water pump. I like to drive my cars and wouldn't want to have one more variable to worry about. If this is gonna be strictly a race car go electric and 18%.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
But still use the 18% od and electric water pump?

If it was me I would go 15% and keep the water pump. I like to drive my cars and wouldn't want to have one more variable to worry about. If this is gonna be strictly a race car go electric and 18%.

Pete imo is right, however, if you plan on making that much power you might not have a choice and you might need the 18% to prevent slip and the electric water pump so then you don't need to worry about over spinning etc :beer:

I know plenty of people who run electric water pumps on the street with no issues.. But just know that when it does go out, which it will eventually be ready for a tow :)

venm4u97

Established Member
Pete imo is right, however, if you plan on making that much power you might not have a choice and you might need the 18% to prevent slip and the electric water pump so then you don't need to worry about over spinning etc :beer:

I know plenty of people who run electric water pumps on the street with no issues.. But just know that when it does go out, which it will eventually be ready for a tow :)

thanks for the advice....think Im gonna do the 18% and 2.9 pulley

Stanger00

Established Member
Ahh I gotcha.. Yea that makes sense.. I didnt' realize that the single bolt tensioner belt setup was that much difference.. On my setup it wraps around 75% of the crank pulley..

He also has a 97 Cobra so he has the 3 bolt tensioner and the same timing cover as we do ;)

Totally different. It's why I switched from a single to a 3 bolt timing cover. Better belt wrap. I can also see there being some interference issues with a 76mm pulley and that big of a balancer. They make different sizes and you can play with them to figure which will work for your set-up.

MOTOWN M

Established Member
thanks for the advice....think Im gonna do the 18% and 2.9 pulley

I have a 2.9 and a 15% which puts you at 24+PSI hope you are aware of that, and as mentioned you are going to have issues with the Tensoiner pulley and a 18% OD balancer, its tight on my setup!

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
MOTOWN M: What's your combo? C.I? Heads cams exhaust intake etc etc? and compression/power you're making?

MOTOWN M

Established Member
MOTOWN M: What's your combo? C.I? Heads cams exhaust intake etc etc? and compression/power you're making?

Im running a 10.1 Aluminator long block (stock heads/cams) Hogans sheet metal intake, Vortech V7 YSI, Precision 825hp intercooler, Procharger big red (open) bov, 3" Stainless intercooler tubing, SCT BA500 maf (blow thru) ,Accufab single blade TB, SD 80lb injectors, Stainless works headers/exhaust, 96-99 three bolt tensoiner front cover, Thump tensoiner w/76mm pulley, IW 15% OD balancer, 2.9 blower pulley.

Alky control meth kit in the works, had massive belt slip with the single bolt tensoiner, changed to a 3 bolt tensoiner cover, and havent got back to the dyno yet, couldnt get past 9psi before with all the belt slip, ill get back on the dyno after the Holidays, looking to make 700RWHP

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I gotcha. That's a stout setup for sure! I can't wait to see what it makes after the belt slip issues is resolved.

I don't think that hell be near the PSI that you were making or trying to make. Comparing your setup (boost/pulley) wise to his setup is apples to oranges imo. What made 24psi on your setup I'd be shocked if it made anymore than 20psi on his :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread