You're all invited..

J

Janstang

Just wanted to let my fellow New Edge owners know of an upcoming event that we are hoping takes off like the bike rally has. Sturgis-home of the annual Harley bike rally is trying to get an annual Mustang Rally going and this Labor Day weekend will be the first one. If any of you guys are interested in coming out this way I have a spare room and camper available. All you have to do is supply the beer. Their website is: SturgisMustangRally.com and if you want to contact me with questions etc. you can PM me or my e-mail is: [email protected] I will also be posting this in the Regional forums for everybody to see, just wanted to give you guys dibs on rooms if interested..If its anything close to what happens during the bike rally it will be a blast.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Hey, that's really cool! If it turns out to even be half the size of the bike rally it'll be huge! I hope they give a few years to really take off!

I probably won't make it this year but since I'm marrying a gal from SD now I'll have an excuse to plan the inevitable family vacations up there around Labor day! ;-)

J

Janstang

I think its going to be a pretty big deal. Before the Harleys show up in August we have the Corvette rally, then the Impala's do there thing, next is the Harleys, and they are hoping the Mustang guys will finish it all out. From what I have already heard there are several out of state Mustang clubs that are coming for this first one and I told them I would get the word out to the Late Model crowd on the Forums I frequent. Can't wait..I forgot that you married the SD girl, feel free to come out I'll even play tour guide if you need one..

REX-RACER

Established Member
Janstang said:
I think its going to be a pretty big deal. Before the Harleys show up in August we have the Corvette rally, then the Impala's do there thing, next is the Harleys, and they are hoping the Mustang guys will finish it all out. From what I have already heard there are several out of state Mustang clubs that are coming for this first one and I told them I would get the word out to the Late Model crowd on the Forums I frequent. Can't wait..I forgot that you married the SD girl, feel free to come out I'll even play tour guide if you need one..

We're not hitched yet, the wedding is next August but she's in full planning mode! LOL!

The wedding is going to be up there in here home town and then she's moving down to San Antonio where I just started a new job last month. She's pretty close to her family so it's a good bet we'll be up there a couple times a year so I'll likely try to plan it around this Sturgis thing even though Watertown is on the other side of the state.

When we're up there I'll definitely give you shout!

J

Janstang

Do that.. My sisters in Watertown and my brothers in Sioux Falls, so I make my way over there also..

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
That would be really cool. It's a shame Sturgis is like a fofillion miles from here.

REX-RACER

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
That would be really cool. It's a shame Sturgis is like a fofillion miles from here.

Yeah, that's going to be the biggest drawback, essentially it's kind of in the middle of nowhere and subsequently hotel space is severely limited. Most people camp or trailer their stuff in mobile homes. I've always wanted to go Sturgis thing but never really considered it until I got involved w/ this woman. Now I know I'll be in SD regularly so I'll definitely plan the time around this event!

J

Janstang

REX-RACER said:
Yeah, that's going to be the biggest drawback, essentially it's kind of in the middle of nowhere and subsequently hotel space is severely limited. Most people camp or trailer their stuff in mobile homes. I've always wanted to go Sturgis thing but never really considered it until I got involved w/ this woman. Now I know I'll be in SD regularly so I'll definitely plan the time around this event!
Not sure the last time you were out here, but there's a crap ton of lodging. Between Rapid City, Sturgis, Spearfish and in between they have the capability to house upwards of 5-600,000 bikers every year. So don't worry about lodging, and if for some reason you ran into problems, give me a shout, I've got room..:beer:

J

Janstang

03blkgt said:
that sounds pretty fun, seems like it would be a good time.
Hopefully..I talked to one of the event coordinators and they said there "eventual" goals is to see 5,000-6,000 Mustangs. Not sure if that will ever happen, but it would be awesome. I think that if they try to base it similiar to how the bike rally works it will go fairly well. With the bike rally, Sturgis is the center of attention, so you have all the bars, motorsport events, concert venues, etc. based out of Sturgis. If you want to get away from the madness there are neverending roads out in the Black Hills to cruise and check the scenery. There is also Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse for mountain carvings a guy has to see. You have Deadwood to do all the gambling you can imagine. Numerous caves to spelunk. Custer State Park, Bear Country, and Reptile Gardens to see animals wandering. So, if you are an outdoors person this area is great and there is plenty to see. It won't be limited to just up around Sturgis, but I will probably be up in that area the whole time, due to the drag racing I will be doing..:rolling:

REX-RACER

Established Member
Janstang said:
Hopefully..I talked to one of the event coordinators and they said there "eventual" goals is to see 5,000-6,000 Mustangs. Not sure if that will ever happen, but it would be awesome. I think that if they try to base it similiar to how the bike rally works it will go fairly well. With the bike rally, Sturgis is the center of attention, so you have all the bars, motorsport events, concert venues, etc. based out of Sturgis. If you want to get away from the madness there are neverending roads out in the Black Hills to cruise and check the scenery. There is also Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse for mountain carvings a guy has to see. You have Deadwood to do all the gambling you can imagine. Numerous caves to spelunk. Custer State Park, Bear Country, and Reptile Gardens to see animals wandering. So, if you are an outdoors person this area is great and there is plenty to see. It won't be limited to just up around Sturgis, but I will probably be up in that area the whole time, due to the drag racing I will be doing..:rolling:

Be sure to get plenty of pics and post 'em up! :beer:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Hmm, Sturgis isn't all that far from me, I happen to have no plans that weekend, and a newly purchased Saleen Speedster that's crying for a road trip...

Is there a website with more details?

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
That might be something I could look at for next year when there is a little more time to plan for it.

J

Janstang

I hear ya. I only found out about it a couple of months ago. If all works out and they do it again I will post the date ASAP so people can have time to plan for it. I now with my vacation stuff we like to plan at least 6 months ahead, especially when its going to be any distance from home.

J

Janstang

LOL..I remember when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and seeing SD and thinking it was South Dakota, and it was San Diego. Nice to know nothing changes..

J

Janstang

Apparently some of the vendors are already showing up. I saw a 44-48ft SVT trailer today in town. Went over to see if anyone was around, unfortunately they weren't, either that or I scared them and they were hiding from me..

J

Janstang

Just got done with the Mustang Rally. Turned out great.. From what I heard there was around 300 cars registered and at least another 100 or more that were in the area just to check it out. I won the Mustang portion of the drag races at the track and got 1st place in the 99-01 Cobra category, so I'm pretty happy. I talked to one of the main organizers of this and they want me to come and be part of the board to schedule/plan for future rallys, so I will probably go and give it a try. If you have any questions or comments for future rallys let me know and I will bring it up. My mission for this is to keep it interesting for the late model Mustang guys and change it around each year so it isn't the same stuff year after year. Anyhow, here is a link to their website and you can go in and see pics of various cars and events etc..Enjoy..I've also got a bunch of pics to download yet, so once I get them downloaded I will post some up. http://www.sturgismustangrally.com/

Users who are viewing this thread