Your thoughts on Mustang Week 2012

RedfireSVT

Established Member
We were their till almost 2 having people come and go all night. Was a blast too.:beer:

you wouldn't know anything about tagging other vendors tow vehicles would you? someone put Hooters stickers on our truck. :lol1:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
You just had to be in the right place, stay at H.S.S. next year. There was someone to hang out with at least 23 hours out of the day:beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Wish I could have gone but what we should do for next year is start planning early to meet up after events to cruise or what ever. Make our own "svtp event."

We're planning on doing more of that next year.:beer:

This was my 6th year and it was one of the best.. They did a great job on planning events and the weather even was great.. The week is what you make it.. You can stay in your hotels and watch TV or get out and have some fun.. Lots to do with a lot of great people... :beer: My only thing was @ the Party Like A Rockstar Night me and my friends stopped in to try to be a rock star.. We walked up and a lot of people hanging outside I figure someone would say whats up but nobody did.. Kind of made my friends feel like they drove up in a import.. I have been looking forward to making this event since last year and talking it up to my friends on how SVTP was but I have to say it was a let down.. We did not feel welcomed at all only one person came over to talk he was from Ford Racing Nation.. But still had fun checking out all the sweet rides.. I am still going next year just going to make it earlier.. :rockon:

Sorry you didn't feel welcomed, but at something like that you really just have to jump in and join the crowd. It seemed like people would break into groups for about 45 minutes then split off and start talking to another group. I tried to make my rounds, but I know there were a few people I missed out on talking too.

Next year I want to add another cruise, and possibly a return Waffle House.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
This was my second MW and by far the better of the two. The previous one I attended was in 2009. This year was great and I actually prefer how the events were scheduled because it does allow you to spend time with your significant other or whoever you are vacationing with. I don't have any complaints but I do have a few suggestions. How about an SVTP cruise the strip night where we flood the strip with mustangs? Also, I know alot of the condos book Sat-Sat and with the cruise in and awards being on Sat you either have to skip them get a super late start home and many people drive 10+ hrs. I've yet to make a Saturay event because we always leave early Sat morning to make the drive back home. Nothing major, just a suggestion that MW could start on Monday and end Friday rather than Tue-Sat. Also, I think it'd be cool if all the SVTPers could somehow identify one another easier. Maybe lanyards with SVTP badges with our screen names and our avatar/car pic or whatever is easiest.

I did meet some people and it was cool to put a name to a face. I'll keep coming back every year that I can. Definitely is an event you have to attend atleast once. MW staff did an excellant job in my opinion.

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
My family had a blast, it was awesome getting to have beers with steve, the barton guys, the LRS crew, Jayman, and travis after the coyote cruise. After the MW events we took the kids to the beach and checked out the MB attractions. It was my vacation this year. I didnt need to go trolling for races or go stand around in a parking lot after standing in a parking lot. I'll be back in 2014 after I get my happy ass back from Bahrain.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
My family had a blast, it was awesome getting to have beers with steve, the barton guys, the LRS crew, Jayman, and travis after the coyote cruise. After the MW events we took the kids to the beach and checked out the MB attractions. It was my vacation this year. I didnt need to go trolling for races or go stand around in a parking lot after standing in a parking lot. I'll be back in 2014 after I get my happy ass back from Bahrain.

Was nice meeting ya as well. Just be safe over there and get back. In 2014, beers are on me for the coyote cruise. :beer:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Steve I really wish I would have gotten to meet you while there since we cross paths on several different forums.

jmstang66

Established Member
I have been to every MW since 06, and I agree this was the biggest and one of the best yet! The move to the Palace was muuuch better than Planet Hollywood, however my group was on the opposite side from all the MW staff and such, felt like we were just parking and going to look instead of being apart of the cruise in (almost as if you didn't get in the lot to the right, tough luck). The rest of the week was great, our group always skips out on Darlington as well, we refuse to drive 1/2 way back to Charlotte to race, so we do our own thing that night. We even started an impromptu cruise over at Hard Rock on Monday.

One thing my club did talk about amongst ourselves and others was the burnout contest. and I was wanting to see what others though....wouldn't it be better if it was held in the middle of the speedway, where the auto cross is held, instead of on the front stretch? The front stretch has walls on both sides, and to top it off this year there were wrecked cars along the side for the after show. If it were in the middle there would be tons more room and I know alot we talked to have said they would feel more comfortable participating if it was there..is there a reason it's not?

great job MW staff for continuing to put on a great show for us!

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
I didn't start this thread b/c I was looking for racing (I don't street race) more along just getting together meet some svtp memebers is all. I didn't expect people to show up and then disappear till the next event. As for the organization comment, I thought MW would have set up the cruise to Darlington to be a little more uniform, was hoping we'd have cars lined up for 2 miles to cruise out there. We have a event called "Cruising the Coast" here in Gulfport/Biloxi MS where people cruise the strip from dusk to dawn!! Its a family vacation for many as its also a week long but oh well I just expressing my opinion.

Mustangweek isnt an nmra/ fun ford weekend. Its a vacation. Most people are with family. Not sure how its mustangweeks fault no one wanted to hang with you. My guess people wanted to relax and go to the beach.

Thats fine, as I stated this was my first MW and didn't know what to expect. And that wasn't the issue because I met a few good people from SVTP. What I don't understand is why you would visit mustang week and not try meeting others that shares the same interest. I wasn't asking to leave your family every night to do something b/c I have no problem with people doing their own thing with the family. Just some of us drove 12+ hours for MW and I expected something different...less learned.

Nate had a great idea with some sort of name tags with our screen names to better meet people and what now.

One thing my club did talk about amongst ourselves and others was the burnout contest. and I was wanting to see what others though....wouldn't it be better if it was held in the middle of the speedway, where the auto cross is held, instead of on the front stretch? The front stretch has walls on both sides, and to top it off this year there were wrecked cars along the side for the after show. If it were in the middle there would be tons more room and I know alot we talked to have said they would feel more comfortable participating if it was there..is there a reason it's not?

We need to define a "burnout" because I believe only 2 cars did an "actually" burnout. LOL Every one kept doing donuts and what not. lol

Also the performance shop that I'm apart of with another member have talked about e-mailing the MW staff about sponsoring the Darlington Drag day that hopefully would bring more people.

Last edited:

jmstang66

Established Member
my buddy did the burnout contest and I;m pretty sure he told me that they're told they have to keep moving and just cant sit there while doing the "burnout" contest

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Steve I really wish I would have gotten to meet you while there since we cross paths on several different forums.

haha. I hear ya. Next event is Bowling Green and PRI. lol :beer:

my buddy did the burnout contest and I;m pretty sure he told me that they're told they have to keep moving and just cant sit there while doing the "burnout" contest

Yatzee

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I've thought quite a bit about how to improve the burnout contest, and others have made the same suggestion you're making. There's a couple problems with holding it in the infield though. First, it would be much harder for the people in the stands to see it. Since the contest relies on crowd participation to select a winner everyone needs a good view. Second, it would make media coverage more challenging. Since the sponsors of the event need exposure to make their contributions worthwhile we want to give them the best coverage possible. Third, it's safer to have the cars on the track, because people would be standing right next to a fairly low wall around the infield. Finally, it takes a lot more skill to control your car well, put on a good show, and keep it out of the wall on the front stretch than it would performing in an open lot. This makes for a better show, and really separates those who can control a car from those just spinning their tires.

aclass

Established Member
I thoroughly enjoyed myself this year. Thanks for all the hard work that was involved in making it happen. You guys have some incredible cars.
My wife and I used it as a vacation so it really doesnt bother me to hang out other than the scheduled events. When we were not at an event, we were soaking up sun or people watching somewhere.
My only complaint was parking at the Mall. There was no parking to be had, and then you were warned about being towed when you found a section of empty blacktop.

Looking forward to next year...

1993svtjones

Established Member
Love going, been every year. But i think the burn-outs leaving hooters will put Mustang Week in lingo, hate to see it cancelled because of it but i love smelling rubber and fast cars.

aclass

Established Member
Love going, been every year. But i think the burn-outs leaving hooters will put Mustang Week in lingo, hate to see it cancelled because of it but i love smelling rubber and fast cars.

I too was very surprised that it wasnt shut down sooner. Fun as heck to watch, which is why the roads are full of people, but some serious injury could easily occur.

I told my wife, half these people probably wouldnt even consider going to Darlington and watching a legal burnout and race, but there is something intriguing about it on a major highway.

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
Hey guys, this was my 3rd year and I think it was a great time. People do break off and go relax especially when its hot out, not everyone wants to stand out by there car. At night our club went out cruising. By all means we welcome talkin and meeting people. Sometimes park randomly on the strip and start talking. I would Deff tell you to give it another chance. Talk to people on here and kind of get to know them and meet up at mw. Hope to see ya down mw13. Btw I think staff and volunteers did a great job. Mayhem mustangs-charlotte, nc

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I've thought quite a bit about how to improve the burnout contest, and others have made the same suggestion you're making. There's a couple problems with holding it in the infield though. First, it would be much harder for the people in the stands to see it. Since the contest relies on crowd participation to select a winner everyone needs a good view. Second, it would make media coverage more challenging. Since the sponsors of the event need exposure to make their contributions worthwhile we want to give them the best coverage possible. Third, it's safer to have the cars on the track, because people would be standing right next to a fairly low wall around the infield. Finally, it takes a lot more skill to control your car well, put on a good show, and keep it out of the wall on the front stretch than it would performing in an open lot. This makes for a better show, and really separates those who can control a car from those just spinning their tires.

:beer:

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I had a blast this year even with the car repairs at the car show on Saturday next to BBR lol..... I always park in the mall parking lot, who threatened to start towing people????

Users who are viewing this thread