Your thoughts on Mustang Week 2012

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
This was my first time and to sum it up I was kinda disappointed in the whole Mustang Week experience. I enjoyed making new friends with some of our members but overall MW wasn't what I really expected. After the "scheduled" events/gtg everyone left and did their own thing, no one hung out after the fact or anything....nothing seemed orgnized. And me being the drag racer that I am, the track wasn't much fun either. I was hoping to see more of the 7,8,9 sec mustang "racecars". I didn't know what to expect to begin with but I don't know if I'll drive another 11hrs for MW....what are your thoughts for the first timers?

Last edited:

A Suede Futon

Established Member
This was my first time going too, and it wasn't what I expected either. I thought MW staff did a good job organizing, but I agree with you, it sucked that everyone left the events early. It seemed like there were a lot of groups that went together, and did their own thing. I didn't meet up with anybody from svtp :(

C6Z06427

Established Member
This was my first year going as well. I totally agree with you guys. You really don't want to get in anybodies business and ask them if they want to meet up especially if you don't know the peeps all that good.

What got me was the whole MW section on this forum was like a ghost town. Nothing was really active besides my thread and another one about some street racing. I think there should be more communication going on in this section for people that do want to meet up after the shows and have some late night fun if they choose too.

chazmanfireman

Big Red
Established Member
This was my seventh year and I can tell you this year was different for some reason as far as after the events. In years past there have been plenty of night cruises and people hanging out in different areas after most of the events. I noticed a lot of that didn't happen this year, but it has in the other years I've been here. All I can say is give it another chance next year, but its easy for me to say, I live 2 1/2 hrs away from myrtle beach. I don't think most of the guys would think you were getting all in their business if you asked if they had anything going on after the events. Well that's my two cents.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I've been to every Mustang Week since 2005, and I think this was one of the best yet. The staff had all of their events organized very well! It is not their job to organize what groups want to do after the events. It was a nice little addition having a celebrity attending almost every event, Vaughn Gittin Jr. It was also nice seeing Gittin's exhibition at the Speedway. The mix of cars was better than ever (60's, 70's, 4-eye & Aero Fox's, Sn95, New Edge, S197, etc.).

I agree that you saw less high-powered cars at the drag strip this year. I will tell you that there is usually a larger # of those cars there. What happened this year, is that the big NMRA/NMCA Super Bowl race fell on the same weekend as Mustang Week. Obviously, that's going to take priority over MW for those guys who race for $$$. I was a bit disappointed that Lethal brought their awesome Grabber Terminator & '13 GT500 cars with them, but they just sat there on display. I wanted to see them run! My guess is that Martorella (their driver) was probably also at the NMRA/NMCA race? I, for one, was so happy to see Justin Burcham there with the JPC Racing car!!! I had no clue he was coming!!! To me, that made up for Lethal not running.

As far as no action after the events, I have 2 thoughts on that. One... Mustang Week is at Myrtle Beach, which is a family destination. I know that my whole group likes to kick back and do BEACH stuff after the events. This is also vacation for us. By the time the events are over, it's time for us to go out for a nice dinner and/or a bar. That's just the nature of having an event like this at a vacation destination.
Second... you can thank MBPD, and a more mature crowd every year, for the "calming down" of MW. Back when I first started attending in 2005, it was pretty rowdy at nights. There were places to meet up, and places to go... but MBPD shut that down. What we have now is basically a monster of our OWN creation, so to speak. It got so rowdy, and people were acting beyond stupid, that the police now watch every move we make. IMHO, meeting up at places, and going to Mexico, and cruising the stip was fine & dandy. But you had idiots for a few years that pulled stupid stunts, wrecking their cars, and wrecking bystanders' cars. The actions of those few EVERY year, has eventually effected everybody. I think people acted more mature this year because the warnings & actions of the MBPD had finally sank in. As for myself, I still would have been out cruising, looking for action every night had my Lightning not blown up on me on the way down to the beach. You can still find the action out there, but just bear in mind that for those who have attended for years, we heed the MBPD's warnings so it's just harder to find. They are on to our act.

As for not meeting anyone from SVTP... SVTP had a booth set up at every event except drag night. I helped Sid with the booth a couple days, and there were tons of members that visited us. Also, SVTP even sponsored the well-promoted Party Like A Rockstar Night @ Dog House Saloon. That would have been a GREAT place to meet any & all SVTP members and perhaps find some action???

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I personally think this is the best one yet in the last 4 years. It doubled the amount of cars at each event.

The issue with the drag portion is that its a 100mile drive each way on mostly back roads and it confusing at night. Plusit's always 95degree's or more and much higher on the track. It's simply to hot to run a high hp car. Track prep is huge as well and many racer's do not like how it is done their which is a valid argument by some. The other reason I have seen is many people do not want to put that type of miles on their car.

That's why we did our coyote cruise on Thursday as an other option for people. And it was a HUGE success too where next year's is already in the works. (pictures to come soon from SID)

The events were organized very well this year but it is hard when you have triple the amount for each event and I give props to the MW staff for what they did.

When it comes to the after hours.... I had seen plenty of people everywhere we went. But for others, its a family vacation as well. That's the beauty of mustang week, you can do so much in that area. We had a blast at the events and afterwards. In my opinion, BEST ONE YET!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I've been to every Mustang Week since 2005, and I think this was one of the best yet. The staff had all of their events organized very well! It is not their job to organize what groups want to do after the events. It was a nice little addition having a celebrity attending almost every event, Vaughn Gittin Jr. It was also nice seeing Gittin's exhibition at the Speedway. The mix of cars was better than ever (60's, 70's, 4-eye & Aero Fox's, Sn95, New Edge, S197, etc.).

I agree that you saw less high-powered cars at the drag strip this year. I will tell you that there is usually a larger # of those cars there. What happened this year, is that the big NMRA/NMCA Super Bowl race fell on the same weekend as Mustang Week. Obviously, that's going to take priority over MW for those guys who race for $$$. I was a bit disappointed that Lethal brought their awesome Grabber Terminator & '13 GT500 cars with them, but they just sat there on display. I wanted to see them run! My guess is that Martorella (their driver) was probably also at the NMRA/NMCA race? I, for one, was so happy to see Justin Burcham there with the JPC Racing car!!! I had no clue he was coming!!! To me, that made up for Lethal not running.

As far as no action after the events, I have 2 thoughts on that. One... Mustang Week is at Myrtle Beach, which is a family destination. I know that my whole group likes to kick back and do BEACH stuff after the events. This is also vacation for us. By the time the events are over, it's time for us to go out for a nice dinner and/or a bar. That's just the nature of having an event like this at a vacation destination.
Second... you can thank MBPD, and a more mature crowd every year, for the "calming down" of MW. Back when I first started attending in 2005, it was pretty rowdy at nights. There were places to meet up, and places to go... but MBPD shut that down. What we have now is basically a monster of our OWN creation, so to speak. It got so rowdy, and people were acting beyond stupid, that the police now watch every move we make. IMHO, meeting up at places, and going to Mexico, and cruising the stip was fine & dandy. But you had idiots for a few years that pulled stupid stunts, wrecking their cars, and wrecking bystanders' cars. The actions of those few EVERY year, has eventually effected everybody. I think people acted more mature this year because the warnings & actions of the MBPD had finally sank in. As for myself, I still would have been out cruising, looking for action every night had my Lightning not blown up on me on the way down to the beach. You can still find the action out there, but just bear in mind that for those who have attended for years, we heed the MBPD's warnings so it's just harder to find. They are on to our act.

As for not meeting anyone from SVTP... SVTP had a booth set up at every event except drag night. I helped Sid with the booth a couple days, and there were tons of members that visited us. Also, SVTP even sponsored the well-promoted Party Like A Rockstar Night @ Dog House Saloon. That would have been a GREAT place to meet any & all SVTP members and perhaps find some action???

We were their till almost 2 having people come and go all night. Was a blast too.:beer:

MAGNUSON

Established Member
Sam92lx,

This was Magnuson's 2nd year as a vendor. I really think what you are seeing is the event getting bigger and with a larger crowd its harder to get the cars together.. It sounds like MW will change in the next few years for the better.
More people = bigger venues.
The dragstrip as you know is super hot and many cars skip out. This is one of Magnuson's favorite events as well but Mustangs do not like hot hot hot.

With over 2,500 Mustangs MW is going strong!

chazmanfireman

Big Red
Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I thought this year was the best one since I started going, MW staff did another amazing job with all the events, as always. I had just noticed that there weren't as many people out at night as in years past. Awesome MW this year, can't wait till next year!

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wish I could have gone but what we should do for next year is start planning early to meet up after events to cruise or what ever. Make our own "svtp event."

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
I wish it was held in the spring or fall. I don't go because of the heat, cars are on hot-top not grass. It's a drive from FL.....I do hope tomattend next year, but reading this thread isn't making me want to go now. lol

2013 Laguna Seca

Laguna 2013
Established Member
This was my wife's and I first MW. We stayed with silver03 and his wife at Hss condos. We had a blast and would do it again in a second. MW had all the events organized very well,and there were many fantastic cars there. I met some great svtp members nate,scott,travis(owner),pat and a few others. Party like a rock star night was alot of
fun,between the cars and the bartender named delicious.

My only complaint was that every morning my car was nasty from the salt air. No biggie though,just a wipe down and ready to go. My favorite was the speedway day. Had a great time going around the track and watching everyone else go around and doing the autocross and burnout contest. I will be attending next year.

WildWillyWalker

Established Member
MW is my favorite event. It's a vacation I don't plan on missing. 2012 was my 4th year going. I had my Fox the first year and attended the Fox Body cruise and I changed that up the next year to join in on the Sn95 cruise. We just had our 3rd cruise with 68 cars so it's something I just want to grow. I hope to maybe have a meet Friday night. We'll see if we can get that together for an unofficial get together just like Monday's meet. I now have a couple guys I room with that I met last year so we always have our little group.

chazmanfireman

Big Red
Established Member
I wish it was held in the spring or fall. I don't go because of the heat, cars are on hot-top not grass. It's a drive from FL.....I do hope tomattend next year, but reading this thread isn't making me want to go now. lol

It was hot, but there was a good breeze in Darlington and on Thursday & Friday. Plus it was overcast most of the day. We set up our chairs under some trees in the parking lot right where all the traffic was coming in. To tell you the truth, as long as you were in some shade, it wasn't bad at all, and being from Florida you should be good. If you get a chance to come I would at least tell you to come to it once to see for your self, you won't be disappointed.

DolSVT00

Established Member
I go every year, and yes its alwayse the largest gathering of 14 second mustangs and cobras on the planet, but then again if you have a choice of packing clothes or tires, you choose clothes. Well that and "too much tire shine and no seat time" play a big part in the all show no-go category.
Nevertheless its alwayse a good time for me. And this year was great.

A Suede Futon

Established Member
I hope I did the quotes right...

This was my first year going as well. I totally agree with you guys. You really don't want to get in anybodies business and ask them if they want to meet up especially if you don't know the peeps all that good.

What got me was the whole MW section on this forum was like a ghost town. Nothing was really active besides my thread and another one about some street racing. I think there should be more communication going on in this section for people that do want to meet up after the shows and have some late night fun if they choose too.
How I felt exactly^ Don't get me wrong though, I still had a great time. will be back next year.

I missed the Party Like A Rockstar Night because my buddy that came with me had an unexpected job interview the next morning. I'll try to make it next year though.

Wish I could have gone but what we should do for next year is start planning early to meet up after events to cruise or what ever. Make our own "svtp event."
+1 great idea

10thSVT

SVT Poster
Established Member
This was my 6th year and it was one of the best.. They did a great job on planning events and the weather even was great.. The week is what you make it.. You can stay in your hotels and watch TV or get out and have some fun.. Lots to do with a lot of great people... :beer: My only thing was @ the Party Like A Rockstar Night me and my friends stopped in to try to be a rock star.. We walked up and a lot of people hanging outside I figure someone would say whats up but nobody did.. Kind of made my friends feel like they drove up in a import.. I have been looking forward to making this event since last year and talking it up to my friends on how SVTP was but I have to say it was a let down.. We did not feel welcomed at all only one person came over to talk he was from Ford Racing Nation.. But still had fun checking out all the sweet rides.. I am still going next year just going to make it earlier.. :rockon:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
My first year, and will definately go back. Had a super time. Met quite a few members off SVTP, and helped one in particular change out a bad alternator. I would like to see a night time cruise-in without getting my car shot with a sprinkler. I think another cruise or 2 would be cool, maybe a "Midnight Madness Run" or a poker run of some sorts.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Mustangweek isnt an nmra/ fun ford weekend. Its a vacation. Most people are with family. Not sure how its mustangweeks fault no one wanted to hang with you. My guess people wanted to relax and go to the beach.

Users who are viewing this thread