your thoughts on a possible trade

love bandit2

Established Member
I've got a '98 Cobra with 62k miles in great condition with the mods in the sig below... I'm talking to a guy about a possible trade for a Procharged 91 LX hatch in prestine condition...

this is the LX

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/car/584724388.html

I figure the value of my car is right around $9000, if not a tad more. Do you guys think a strait up trade would be fair? Obviously this is if the car is in good running order with a solid body (I have a no-bondo policy)...

One more thing, the 91 5.0's had forged internals from the factory, correct?

thanks!!

01SVT2894

Established Member
this is no good...

that fox is sharp as hell.... but $9k? whoah.

just sell your Cobra... once you have the cash, but a gorgeious stock fox for $3,500 and drop the coin for the SC. best way to go IMO.

stangbear427

Established Member
Indeed. Which, since they were so quick to point out the miles on the TIRES and not a whisper about what's on the odo, I have to assume they haven't been low for a long time. Just a guess, I could be wrong. You won't know how good it is until you go see it in person, but IMO no highly modified stang is worth anywhere near five digits with the stock intake in place and a bone stock suspension. How mediocre was this guy who built it? Just my $.02

buddha93

Established Member
Ok, I'll go against the masses here.

First off, take a look at the Fox body market and what's out there. Now this is specific to my area, but bottom line there just aren't that many around any more, and the ones that are have seen better days. They have been used and abused and in general just not very well take care of.

Now this car, and nevermind the mods, in my area assuming it's doens't have upteen miles on it would bring 6k bone stock . I'm also taking into consideration that the interior of this car isn't all hacked up and in very good conditon.

Now lets factor in the mods, knock the price of those in half and he's not out of his mind by any means. Would I pay 9k, no. But if you get him down to 8k (hence the OBO) I think it wouldn't be the worst deal out there.

I dunno, just looking at the pics, that car is exceptionally clean, but it's one of those things you'd have to see in person to verify it's as good as it looks. Things like the exterior trim, door seals, and all the other little things on the interior are what I'd be looking at before making the trade. Even with good paint, those parts can make the car look like ass and cost you some cash to make it right.

Oh, and by the way, that car doesn't have the forged pistons if it's a 91'. Those are the hyperutecnic ones.

stangbear427

Established Member
91's did have forged pistons. I know, I've held them in my hand. Yes, it would bring $6k in good shape bone stock. But it ISN'T bone stock, and unless the miles are low, having a Procharger and a spool isn't going to make it worth more unless it's a wreck getting parted out. How can you tell from two zoomed out pics that it's exceptionally clean? All I can see is that it's shiny and the mods aren't well sorted.

buddha93

Established Member
I'm still sticking to my comment.

I don't car how shiny a car is on the outside, the one thing that usually tells the tale is what it looks like under the hood. And from what I can see, it looks pretty damn good.

And since when don't bolt-on aftermarket parts increase the value of car slightly? Are you going to get the full value of said parts? Hell no! Even if that car has 80k on the ticker, it would still bring every bit of $6000 just in what KBB calls "good" conditon. So we're saying that it's not worth another $2k with a blower and built rearend with fresh meats? Bullchit. I could sell that car all day long around here for that price.

Maybe it's regional thing, but you guys would crap yourselves if you see what I see for sale, the asking price, AND what they actually sell for.

And yes, you are correct about the pistons. I always have the 89' on my brain that I owned that had them, and was thinking it was the next odd year when they discontinued them, but it was 93'.:bash:

love bandit2

Established Member
ok the guy sent me some more detailed pics... the interior is bone stock, and is far from perfect. Its not THAT bad.. no holes in the seats or anything, but it looks slightly better than its age. The paint is stock, and there is no rust (which actually says alot for being in Illinois) and is in generally good condition.... the weatherstripping looks a little weathered. But in my head I was thinking about this car, and then comparing it to the condition of my cobra, and my cobra is overall way nicer in almost every area... but what can you expect from a 15 year old car I guess. I think I'm gonna pass on this one. I guess I was hoping this would be a one-owner garage queen... Thanks alot for your thoughts and comments!! I may be back on the fox forum soon!

buddha93

Established Member
LOL!

Agree, disagree, it's all what the buyer thinks a car may be worth in this market. It's not like you can open a KBB and find a price for modified cars. Like I said in the beginning, I'll disagree with the masses on this one.

So when are you bring those cars down, maybe I'll buy one...........

stangbear427

Established Member
Unfortunately, I'm finding it hard to consider parting with any of them... lol.

And no, you're right. You kind of have to throw the KBB out the window on our cars... you can't even get an accurate price on a bone stock one never mind modded. I figure, you find a clean straight fox, find the price for "excellent" and double it, and you've got a realistic starting point for a street price. Ultimately, these cars are worth as much as most people are willing to pay for them.

Users who are viewing this thread