Your opinions on installing BF 4 pc. idlers...

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
After having done many of the IRS braces, the best time was about 20 minutes, but the average is about 30 minutes (after the car is on stands).

One tip though, if you haven't changed your fuel filter recently, now would be a good time.

Don't bother raising the car for the idlers, just a lot more work and time.

another tip is to remove the 3 nuts that hold the expansion tank in place and push it to the side temporarily. Makes getting your hands in there a lot easier and only takes a few seconds.

Double and triple check that the belts are all on the pulleys properly before starting the engine. The bottom of the crank pulley and the alt pulley are difficult to see.

Dana

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
look, everytime I go to put something on my car something bad happens, a bolt breaks or gets stuck, something strips out, a cow falls from the sky, whatever. I actually did the idlers with ZERO problems. hell I had a harder time putting on my cai than the idlers, which goes to show you something bad always happens to me when I install stuff. but for me to get threw an install with no problems was insane. no lift needed.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I always cut my hands no matter what I'm working on. I could work on a tire and cut my hand.

With the BilletFlow idlers, one install tip is to be careful when you have more than one idler off at a time. The bolt housings that the idlers mount to can be very sharp and you know what I did? Yep... Cut my hand. :-D

Idler install is easy and after having two stock idlers fail on me, it's a pleasure to have the peace of mind that the BilletFlow idlers bring.

ViciousJay

Established Member
i like proving people wrong... i had them and took them off cuz i plan on trying to get 100K out of the stockers.... otherwise BF, RR basically any idler is ok.... but like i said the stocker will do fine...ive only heard a few people twisting them up but then again they were mostly on Twin screw cars boosting 20+

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Gladiator said:
...ive only heard a few people twisting them up but then again they were mostly on Twin screw cars boosting 20+

actually many have exploded, regardless of boost level (even stock)......the lower pulley cars are at most risk because they're spinning them faster than they were designed for

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Gladiator said:
i like proving people wrong... i had them and took them off cuz i plan on trying to get 100K out of the stockers.... otherwise BF, RR basically any idler is ok.... but like i said the stocker will do fine...ive only heard a few people twisting them up but then again they were mostly on Twin screw cars boosting 20+
Gotta go with JB on this one Gladiator.......Once you start significantly boosting either the Eaton or a twin screw, you're risk of having a stock idler explode on you increases dramatically. Know several fellas who have had stockers explode. Heck, I'd say half the Terminator folks in the MACA carry a spare belt in the trunk and most all of them HAVE aftermarket idlers.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
IronTerp said:
Gotta go with JB on this one Gladiator.......Once you start significantly boosting either the Eaton or a twin screw, you're risk of having a stock idler explode on you increases dramatically. Know several fellas who have had stockers explode. Heck, I'd say half the Terminator folks in the MACA carry a spare belt in the trunk and most all of them HAVE aftermarket idlers.

:idea: Note to self....buy spare belt. Although, not sure how much good the belt will do if one of the idlers goes poopy. :shrug:

As far as the idler install goes, I did mine in no time with IronTerps help....even if we did put the new snout hub on bassackwards the first time! :loser:

Last edited:

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I just received mine yesterday, will give an update as to how the install goes, from what I hear it almost sounds like more of a pain to get them out of the package then they are to put in the car. I hope to get to this tomorrow.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
SCcobra4me said:
I just received mine yesterday, will give an update as to how the install goes, from what I hear it almost sounds like more of a pain to get them out of the package then they are to put in the car. I hope to get to this tomorrow.

my best advice is to be careful not to overtighten any of the bolts

they all go into aluminum and torque spec is only 18 ft-lbs

any problems, call BILLETFLOW or you can ask here and you know you'll get all the help you need :thumbsup:

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Just finished installing my idlers. Install was easy and no use of a ramp or anything was necessary, did everything from the top. Only problem I ran into was my steeda tensioner pulley wouldn't come off once I took out the bolt, other than that, piece of cake.

Users who are viewing this thread