your opinion on subframe installation

acrsvt

Established Member
I went to a shop yesterday and asked about their process for subframe installation. The person stated they put the car on a lift and essentially put the car up on tall jackstands and let all the weight be supported by these jackstands. I have looked on here and have read on multiple occasions where the car should be on a flat surface where the suspension is loaded. When I brought this up to the person they stated that it can be either way, that the weight either has to fully loaded or fully off. Does this seem right? I just want to be able to close my doors properly after they are welded on. :)

Thanks

mystic04

Established Member
drive on lift from as far as i know . i was told by s shop same you were but didn't like the idea after i had seen others sets done on the drive on lift car sets the way it would on the street.You should be able to finds tons of info here by doing a serach on that.

acrsvt

Established Member
That is what I have heard. Thanks for the replies. Has anyone had their car done this way and turned out ok?

dogmush

Established Member
No, I actually had to cut the subframes off my GT and reweld them because a shop told me this. The suspension must be loaded because of BODY flex. if the wieght of the car is not sitting on the suspension points the body will be flexed differently, and you will weld that flex in.

The car MUST be sitting on it's tires or the unibody won't be in the right position.

FYI, jackstands on the contol arms won't work either, the change in leverage position redistributes the wieght between the springs and mounting bushings and the car won't sit right. Ask me how I know that one too.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
My car came with them on it. I never was able to figure out who owned my car before it came into my hands. It had a MGW shifter, strut tower/subframe and k member connectors. Also, fr500 exhaust, and battery in trunk.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
acrsvt said:
I went to a shop yesterday and asked about their process for subframe installation. The person stated they put the car on a lift and essentially put the car up on tall jackstands and let all the weight be supported by these jackstands. I have looked on here and have read on multiple occasions where the car should be on a flat surface where the suspension is loaded. When I brought this up to the person they stated that it can be either way, that the weight either has to fully loaded or fully off. Does this seem right? I just want to be able to close my doors properly after they are welded on.
WOW!!!! This is one of the more fundamental rules of chassis stiffening. Drive on lift!!!! You need to steer WELL clear of this shop!!!!

moonltgold

Yes, drive-on type is needed. I had my spot welded on the front first (for access) on a frame lift, marked the rear edge, then put it on a drive-on for final weld. The pre-loaded subframe rear edge mark moved almost 1/4" farther rearward. That might be enough to screw up closing doors, especially if the car is parked on an uneven surface, and can radically affect your handling at high speeds if the car had been pushed up that much higher.

Users who are viewing this thread