your opinion on flowmasters

o0rikio0o

Established Member
the american thunder catback to be exact. i'm not looking for something as outrageous as the FRPP exhaust, but i would like the american muscle sound. i have a stock midpipe, but soon to be looking for an o/r h. what do you guys think?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
which mufflers are on the american thunder cb? my car came with a cb that had flowmaster super 40's on it. it sounded okay, but i'm nat a fan of flowmaster at all. when i took the mufflers out i actually felt a decent gain too, which says a lot about how restrictive they are.

o0rikio0o

Established Member
99riocobra said:
which mufflers are on the american thunder cb? my car came with a cb that had flowmaster super 40's on it. it sounded okay, but i'm nat a fan of flowmaster at all. when i took the mufflers out i actually felt a decent gain too, which says a lot about how restrictive they are.

yeah its super40s. why dont you like flowmasters? because of the restrictive chambering?

VEGASDAN

Gambled and Won
Established Member
Great sound, good power gains over stock, mustangs and flows have sounded good since I cant remember

o0rikio0o

Established Member
VEGASDAN said:
Great sound, good power gains over stock, mustangs and flows have sounded good since I cant remember

i see you got the american thunder catback also, but why did you go with an x pipe? dont the flowmasters match well with h's?

Last edited:

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
i have flowmaster american thumder, and I love the sound. And yes, highly recomend an H-pipe with flowmasters (chambered muffler). The X-pipes and chambered mufflers result in marbly, rattling raspy noises (I previously used a BBK O/R x-pipe).

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
are they the absolute best flowing muffler in the world? NO. Are they significantly better sounding, and free flowing than stock? YES.

Sure a magnaflow or spintech or whatever may have 3rwhp over a Flowmaster exhaust, if you like the sound of flows, then get them. You will not feel 3rwhp.

I have them on my car, and they haven't seemed to hurt.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I personally would go with the Mac catback, much better looking tips and easy to install. To me they sound a lot better than a Flowmaster 2-chamber also.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I like Flowmasters. I don't like the fact that everyone has them. I went with the MAC because I got a good deal on it, and it's not something everyone has. If I ever put together anything with a decent cam I would use Flowmasters because you can hear the lope really good with them.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i think that they are the best sounding exhaust for a mustang! and they make great power too

Mach0ne351

Established Member
IMO, it's Bassani or nothing at all.

but if you intend on getting a Flowmaster setup, get it with a catted or offroad hpipe. with bassani or magnaflow setups, xpipes are recommended, cause of the hi-flow mufflers.

o0rikio0o

Established Member
na svt said:
Do you want sound or power?

a combination of both. i heard that flowmasters won't really do much on the low end, but does improve in the high end, which is okay considering i have 4.56 gears anyways. and yep, i for sure will stick with an hpipe, looking to have a catless one too.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
don't believe anyone's hype that flows don't make as much power as others

some of the fastest racecars use flowmasters and i personally got an increase of 59 rwhp with just a fm catback and cai on my 03 cobra, which is as high as any others i have seen

it really all comes down to what sound you like best

CobraG

Established Member
I wanted Flowmasters, I've never had them, but I went with an X pipe so I chose SLP resinators.
I think you would like the setup, I believe, I could be wrong though, but I believe most of your hp/tq gains will come from your midpipe anyway, so I'd say go for the Flowmasters if that's what you really want

98powerstang

Established Member
If you like the sound go with Flowmaster. I have them and love the sound. If you choose what to get on if to many people have them you shouldnt get a mustang either, cause alot of people have mustangs. Choose on what sound you like not on what people do and dont have. Its your car mod it to your standards not someone elses. Just my 2 cents.

CobraG

Established Member
98powerstang said:
If you like the sound go with Flowmaster. I have them and love the sound. If you choose what to get on if to many people have them you shouldnt get a mustang either, cause alot of people have mustangs. Choose on what sound you like not on what people do and dont have. Its your car mod it to your standards not someone elses. Just my 2 cents.

Very well put :rockon:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
IMO, it's Bassani or nothing at all.

but if you intend on getting a Flowmaster setup, get it with a catted or offroad hpipe. with bassani or magnaflow setups, xpipes are recommended, cause of the hi-flow mufflers.
has nothing to do with the "hi-flow mufflers"

x pipes sound pretty raspy and tinny through chambered mufflers like flows.

h pipes are real loud and raspy behind straight through muffs like bassani and magnaflow.

has everything to do with sound, not flow.

Users who are viewing this thread