Young Officers

91GT

Established Member
I just have a question for the law enforcement officers on this site, and it is a bit unusual.

I have a considerably younger brother that is undergoing the process to become a police officer. When he graduates from his education he will just be 20 years old. I know he will be an excellent officer and I do believe this is his calling, however I am concerned with his younger age. I just think of how different I was at 20 compared to now.

I was just wondering how old most officers are when they start?

I guess I am just concerned for his safety, I am very proud of the steps he has taken to reach his goal of a long time and I know he will do a great job, he a great leader and has a super cool head.

Thanks a lot for your help.

jshen

Established Member
For me I started at 21...with a big PD. As everyone that age, he will get a bit of ribbing from the older guys but he will see that once on the street they will look out after him like " a younger brother". Thats the beauty of this career- we're all brothers..

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
I started at 21.I was a rescue ranger for 4 years prior and involved in the police ride along program for 3.I knew I wanted to do it for a long time.I had my fun[16-19] then shaped up.Starting at 21 he will be gun-ho.Its a job made for people that have it in their blood.He will talk your ear off about everything he did each day for a few years.
Its good to start early.Ill retire at 51 with 30 yrs with a very nice retirement.Its job security and a job that never gets old.
If you feel he is up for it he prob is.Its going to be a nerve racker for the family,but he will enjoy it

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I started at 24, actually got hired officially a day before I turned 25. lol Our age requirement is 21, I'd say the majority of the population aren't mature enough for such a job at 20 or even 21. Luckily the majority dont' apply for LEO jobs. I would have to agree with you though, I wouldnt have been mature enough at 20.

mustanginky

Established Member
i know i wouldn't have been mature enough at that age. while i'm not a beat cop i worked the last 2 years in a correctional facility, the last 8 months being internal affairs and gang investigations. i just received a promotion to probation and parole.

at age 21 i had a good opportunity to start as a police officer and had a knee injury that kept me from doing that job. thank god i didn't get it, no way i would have been ready for it. i got hired on a police dept. about a year ago and they ended up cutting their academy class and no one got hired. still waiting on the call from them, supposedly their starting an academy class soon.

CSD

Banned
I'd say the majority of the population aren't mature enough for such a job at 20 or even 21. I would have to agree with you though, I wouldnt have been mature enough at 20.

Likewise, I wasn't mature enough for this profession till atleast 23. I started my career at 26.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
I was 26 and fresh out of the Marines..... I would have been ready at 21... but spent from 20-22 traveling the world before I figured out what I wanted to do.

mkb116

Established Member
I graduated the academy at 21 years old.

For me I started at 21...with a big PD. As everyone that age, he will get a bit of ribbing from the older guys but he will see that once on the street they will look out after him like " a younger brother". Thats the beauty of this career- we're all brothers..

Like stated above, he will get jokes, from everyone. After issuing citations, its not uncommon for people ask me how old I am, I either reply old enough to write you that ticket, or just actually tell them my age. It doesn't help that I also have a young look. Officers with other agencies/officers with the same agency but at other offices have jokes as well, "Does your dad know your wearing his uniform." comes to mind. Its all fun, doesn't bother me one bit. I look at it like I'm 23 making the same thing your making at 30. Oh, and don't get me started on the jokes from the sergeants. Haha.

Its a great career, its fun and I will be retiring at 51. Now that I have a small amount of time on its funny when new guys hit the road at 30-35 walking around calling me sir because there brand new.

Last edited:

mkb116

Established Member
Youngest kid in my class was 22 I believe.

There was a guy in my class that turned 21 a week before graduation.

The minimum age requirement for my agency was 21 years old before you graduate. So he was cutting it close. They recently changed it to 21 years old before entering the academy.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
I was 27 in the academy. The minimum age to be a police officer should be 25, IMO.

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
I was 20 years old while in the academy. I turned 21 the month I graduated. Ill be 24 in March and love every minute of the job and everyone that works with me. I am currently the youngest person on my squad of +/-20 people with the oldest being 51. I know that myself and one other guy I went to the academy with are the youngest on the dept. with him being a month younger than me.

91GT

Established Member
Thanks alot for your responses everyone. The comments that I have heard here are very comforting.

It is nice to know that this is not unheard of.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread