you know something that would be fun....read guys

99SVTcobraVERT

it would be REALLY fun to install a 2:73 gear in an 01 cobra. i know off line would suck a** but can you imagine it would prob go to 60 in first gear,2nd close to 100, 3rd to 140-145. from a roll with 01 that makes some power (300+) at 35 you can downshift to 1st and be in peak power band 3800 or so rpm where as the guy in other cobra you could be racing would be forced into 2nd to make any kind of decent run. and when he goes to 3rd,you still in 2nd and so forth. i have run guys from roll with 3:27 with them making less power than me and they pull on me because of my gear.... does this make sense to anyone or is this just a stupid comment period? i think it would be at least worth a shot just to be the first and prob only one to do it and see what it is like....just for highway fun, and imagine not even having to use 5th on highway for gas mileage....:beer:

99SVTcobraVERT

actually you would go thru less gears in town (ie. if speed limit is 35 you are in 2nd most likely for good rpm for gas mileage) ive had my convt up at 160 redline 4th to max before i let out, didnt go into 5th. that was with stock gear. so i know the car will at least do 160, and that was with stock struts,shocks,springs rim/tires. was with top up, but even with top down my 99 did 150 easily and before i decided it was too fast for me and let out. ever done 150 with a top down before? its a trip....

99SVTcobraVERT

i think if the car had the power and the gears with springs,struts shocks and wide tires to grip it that it would do over 160, 5th prob wouldnt pull up top with a gear like that but i know that 4th woudl go to redline (whatever mph that would be) just wouldnt suggest trying to turn lol.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Very poor match for the powerband of a 4.6 DOHC. You need torque multiplication to take advantage of the relatively high rpm power. No offense, but the car would be a 100% dog with those gears.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
actually you would go thru less gears in town (ie. if speed limit is 35 you are in 2nd most likely for good rpm for gas mileage) ive had my convt up at 160 redline 4th to max before i let out, didnt go into 5th. that was with stock gear. so i know the car will at least do 160, and that was with stock struts,shocks,springs rim/tires. was with top up, but even with top down my 99 did 150 easily and before i decided it was too fast for me and let out. ever done 150 with a top down before? its a trip....

Yes and yes it was. Fun, dangerous, but fun. I did the math after I got done and as lone as Im not a tard I was doing 220 feet per second. Now thats fast I figured that by 150/60=2.5 that is 2.5 miles a minute then 2.5*5280=13200 that is 13200 feet per minute then 13200/60=220 feet per second. :eek: thats not a good feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread