You guys will enjoy this thread...

hockeypuck_74

Established Member
Another example of someone who's parents did the wrong thing in just allowing Junior to assume partial ownership in the family business.

My dad would probably let me into his hardware business - if I was approved for the bank loans and he sold it to me at markup.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I seriously doubt junior is on the deed!! It may be a corporate structure and junior has a "share" of stock. Or his parents are just plain stupid!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
He's a member here too, and has never shown much respect for law enforcement or anything else for that matter............guess you just have to consider the source.

I love the comment about his dealer plate being a privilege due to his partial ownership of a family business........

Since my wife's car also sports a dealer plate, she must be a partial owner too.............news to me.

In California, you can stop vehicles with dealer plates to check on the status of the car. If the dealer plate is being used on a vehicle driven for pleasure only, the plate can be seized and sent to DMV.

Car dealers are given a flat rate fee on registration costs and issued a certain number of "dealer plates" for the purpose of transporting cars, tests drives, moving cars to repair shops, etc.

They are not for every day usage. Most dealers put them on "demo cars" which they in turn assign to designated employees. This type of use is questionable, and still places them in a position where if you needed PC for a stop.................consider it a gift.

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
I'M sorry mswain I'm a dealer in CA. and you can use your dealer plate for pleasure if your part owner of the dealership. My DMV inspector gave me a copy of the law and told me to carry it when I used a car personally because some officers might not know the correct letter of the law. I've drove My expedition personally for 2 years on my dealer plate. the only reason I got plates on it was because my girlfriend started driving it and she's not an owner. non owner can only use it for dealer busines only. and they can't just stop you to check your vehicle it must be because of another violation.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by auyon
I'M sorry mswain I'm a dealer in CA. and you can use your dealer plate for pleasure if your part owner of the dealership. My DMV inspector gave me a copy of the law and told me to carry it when I used a car personally because some officers might not know the correct letter of the law. I've drove My expedition personally for 2 years on my dealer plate. the only reason I got plates on it was because my girlfriend started driving it and she's not an owner. non owner can only use it for dealer busines only. and they can't just stop you to check your vehicle it must be because of another violation.

Since you have a copy of the applicable law in your glove box, please post the CVC sections that detail this exemption your talking about.

And your wrong about the PC for stopping dealer-plated autos. Any peace officer can stop a dealer-plated vehicle to verify that the plate is being used properly.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Auyon - When you get a chance; Still waiting for that CVC section that exempts dealership owners from DMV fees and/or rules regarding personal usage.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Auyou - Still waiting for that specific CVC section that exempts owners and their girlfriends so they can operate unregistered vehicles for personal use.

waytofastvette

Buh Bye !
Sounds about like me :) Im 20 I work in the family used car biss I dirve my vette on a dealer plate just like the rest of my family does. There is one big difference Though my dad don't hand anything to me :( I workes for him for 3 years at $3.50 a hour Now i ma reaping my rewards of all that hard work

If things come easy for someone Its not always the best thing for that person

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Maybe in your state, but not here. I would also bet it's the same there, your just sliding by since most police agencies don't take the time to check. Believe me, your state's laws were not written to exempt used car dealers from the DMV fees they can collect from a vehicle that is legit. registered.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
MArk another interesting issue is that of the insurance associated with the dealer plate. I know here in new jersey if the plate is used for purposes other than designed, basically test drives and transporting vehicles, any accidents or claims made will not be covered. One thing they look at a lot is whether the plate is screwed onto the car, more permanent than temporary.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Car dealers have historically played the "dealer plate game" with DMV's for years, and no one has taken them to task, except a few officers like myself who get bored with the usual stuff so you begin looking for moe obscure statutes to enforce.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
except a few officers like myself who get bored with the usual stuff so you begin looking for moe obscure statutes to enforce.

You remind me of a State Trooper who "helped" me out when I ran out of gas on Rt 80. I was around 19 at the time and after taking me for gas, he started looking through his book for the statute that made running out of gas illegal. He thumbed through for like 10 minutes while I waited in his car, the whole time saying.."I know it's in here"..

He gave up, I said thanks pal!

RRTX

Established Member
I don't know about here in the states, but in Germany, running out of gas on the Autobahn is illegal

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Wilson & Co
You remind me of a State Trooper who "helped" me out when I ran out of gas on Rt 80. I was around 19 at the time and after taking me for gas, he started looking through his book for the statute that made running out of gas illegal. He thumbed through for like 10 minutes while I waited in his car, the whole time saying.."I know it's in here"..

He gave up, I said thanks pal!

I guess the positive way to look at it is he didn't find the section, me I would have handed you the book and said to find it for me........just kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread