you guys w/ 450ish hp, stock clutch O.K.?

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
So far the only slipping is on purpose. I do have the adj steeda cable/quad/firewall adj. That is one big item to get.

We will see how she is after this last set of mods on a warm road day. Should be interesting.

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Bingo13

Established Member
I lost the stock clutch about a week after installing the 2.93/4lb combo. I have the SPEC2/3 combo now. I have not had an issue since the install.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Getting replacement clutch #2 as we speak.... #3 will be a spec clutch, the OEM one definitely can't handle the combination of my car mods+me+my wife :lol:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
SoCalBlk

How many miles are you getting out of these stock clutches??

factory clutch: 1st 5Kmi I was stock, clutch was dead @ 9K mi, car wouldn't move until 3rd gear and couldn't get over 25mph. Replaced 1 bbq flywheel, 1 smoked clutch, what was left of the pressure plate & TOB

Clutch # 2: Started showing problems @ 10K mi, dead by 11.9K mi, 1st, 2nd & rev would not go into gear, B/O for a flywheel, replaced clutch. pressure plate, TOB, TOB sleve, release bearing, input shaft, (in other words a tranny rebuild)... service dept suspects bad install job on last clutch..

so I'd say modded the clutch lasts approx 3K mi, with me atleast ;-)

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by doubleblack
you guys that have or are getting SPEC clutches, what are the specs for the clutch? How streetable are they?

The SPEC2 is good for 450~475rwhp (it will take abuse at these levels). The SPEC3 is good for 650RWHP. I have the SPEC2 disc and SPEC3 pressure plate. This combo is very street friendly and has a light clutch feel. It is better to me in city traffic than the stock clutch and handles the power levels very well. The SPEC3 setup is very nice but has an almost switch effect to me in that it is either engaged or not. It was too "on-off" for me in rush hour traffic around here. ;-)

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by Bingo13
The SPEC2 is good for 450~475rwhp (it will take abuse at these levels). The SPEC3 is good for 650RWHP. I have the SPEC2 disc and SPEC3 pressure plate. This combo is very street friendly and has a light clutch feel. It is better to me in city traffic than the stock clutch and handles the power levels very well. The SPEC3 setup is very nice but has an almost switch effect to me in that it is either engaged or not. It was too "on-off" for me in rush hour traffic around here. ;-)

How much does replacing the clutch cost... kinda a newbie question but I have not had to deal with it yet.

JWC

Established Member
Bingo 13, how much was the Spec 2/3 set up and how much did you pay for the install? Also did you purchase a new pressure plate? Thanks , John

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad
How much does replacing the clutch cost... kinda a newbie question but I have not had to deal with it yet.

$150- 3 hour job for the disc, pressure plate, and tob. It depends on the shop rate. I also had the fluid changed along with a new shifter.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by JWC
Bingo 13, how much was the Spec 2/3 set up and how much did you pay for the install? Also did you purchase a new pressure plate? Thanks , John

SPEC2 clutch, SPEC3 pressure plate, and throwout bearing assembly for $319. It should have been $299 but I had a $20 charge for swapping out the pressure plate from the SPEC3 kit. I paid $150 for the install but also had a new shifter and fluids changed at the same time.

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
SPEC2 clutch, SPEC3 pressure plate, and throwout bearing assembly for $319. It should have been $299 but I had a $20 charge for swapping out the pressure plate from the SPEC3 kit. I paid $150 for the install but also had a new shifter and fluids changed at the same time.

Totally sounds worth $500 when your talking inexpensive mods otherwise on the car. It's getting harder and harder fending off the desire to mod more =)

Although... I got a speeding ticket and that cured my need for speed. I'll hafta see what my lawyer is able to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread