You guys ever shoot fireballs out of your exhaust

fangstang

Established Member
It happened last night after work. I was out in the oarking lot outside of work talking with one of my co-workers(good friend). We were BS'ing and I said "let me smoke em alittle before we leave" I convincingly agreed and i proceeded to light them up. After a few of them, I did my last one with my friend facing the rear of my car and I took off at 3400 rpm and quick shifted into 2nd at 5600rpm and a loud pop came out from my exhaust as I hit second. I came back around to where my friend was standing and all I see is my friend smiling, he said I shot fire balls form my exhaust when I hit second. I couldnt believe what he was telling me! I was so excited! This also happened last week when i took my friend for his first real rid in my cobra. He was scared shitless, you should have seen him looking for some where to hold on but we dont have anything to hold on to! I heard the same popping sound then. I sound great! Let me know what you guys think.

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
I think it is when your gas/air mixture is really good. Either that or you can put a spark plug in your exhuast hooked up to a battery. When you push the button it sparks and flames. Dont try it. Thats cool tho. Im not so sure if its health or not tho.. like when it does it everyday.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
The last car that I had that shot fire out the exhaust was coincidently my 1979 2.8L mustang with a 4spd (think 4th gear was OD) but my friend advanced the timing and the exhaust had broken behind the cat. The car would backfire when I stepped on the clutch and rev'ed the motor. Fire blew out the exhaust when it would backfire. Made a hell of a racket... That must have been around 1987.

Not too cool when your bringing your date home at 3:30am with her sweater on backwards and inside out.

Before that, my father and I once drove his 1973 911T around with the muffler off and that motor shot fire in trails about 3ft long. We were disappointed to see we had burnt the freshly applied paint job off the rear valance... This would have been about 1984... lol

Those be my stories.

enjoy.

Venom2001

Established Member
Hey fangstang, are you still getting the loud detonation sound? I have this issue on my 01 vert too. The first time it happened, I thought I popped a piston right through the hood. I am taking her back to my dealer again tomorrow so that they can look at it. According to Andrew at SVT (before he left) that our engines shouldn't be doing that....not healthy man even though it's cool. I'll let you know what they find and how they resolve it. They are also fixing my high speed vib and my 1-2 hard shift AGAIN.:(

fangstang

Established Member
To tell you the truth, this popping sound never accurred before I installed the X-pipe.

fangstang

Established Member
My best guess would be the release of back pressure. I mean with the X, it really flows, especially once you gun it after 4K rpm!

Venom2001

Established Member
Fangstang, I just got the car back from the dealer to look into this problem. I was in luck because the tech was able to duplicate the exhaust detonation. What he concluded was that we are igniting the excess fuel during WOT. Normally our "cats" would take care of this. Nothing to worry about............thank GOD:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread