yikes! detonation

kmoore281

Established Member
well i just bought a 98 cobra w/ ati & intercooler 42# injectors and an msd. it is detonating at wot from like 6000 rpm and up but at 3/4 throttle @7000rpm no detonation. i know it has a dyno tuned chip but the 42#'s were installed after the custom tune. other than that the car idles great, and runs fine. i beleave it has the stock fuel pump, is this my prob or should i get the chip redone? for now i will use the msd to back timing out but i want the fuel to be there.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
They didn't install a second bigger fuel pump when they installed the SC? If not then that's the problem, you are getting fuel starvation.

OCMike

Established Member
San Fransisko, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
What is your fuel pressure at 6000 +rpm?? Sounds like at minimum you need to get an upgraded fuel pump. Also, what are the A/F ratios at 6000 and 7000 rpm? If the 42# injectors were installed after your tuning, they may not be opening up when you really need them to. Get that puppy to wide-band dyno. I wouldn't drive it hard until you find out for sure...cracked pistons are an expensive repair!

kmoore281

Established Member
fuel pressure under boost is 30-35 psi! now thats scary! so i am changing the fuel filter first and swaping out the ati pro pump for an aeromotive and swapping out the stock intank pump for a 170 lph pump from frp. i found out that the chip was redone for the 42# injectors but am going to get a new chip done. im looking at alternative automotive to do the chip, they custom tune chips for reliability rather than over all horsepower numbers, and i have been very nice to the car until the pre ignition gets resolved. the good thing about lots of power is even @ half throttle up to 5500 rpm is fun!

Users who are viewing this thread