Yet another TOB question?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I had some chirping going on. We all know that dreaded sound! Using my firewall adjuster, I backed the tob off the pressure plate quite a bit. Now the tob is barely spinning, but I'm afraid to go any more as the cable is pretty loose already and I don't want it to come off the clutch fork!

The chirp is more faint now than what it was before. The chirp seems more noticeable after I've been driving it for awhile. My question, is there a grease that I can use to try and get it up on the tob or the sleeve? Can the pivot ball create a chirp sound?

If I very lightly put my foot on the clutch pedal it does go away. Less than 2k miles on this Ford Racing one. I'm thinking about leaving it until the noise is more annoying. car shifts great and goes in every gear with ease. Thanks in advance!

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
If you can bear the noise, let it ride until it gets worse. What you're hearing is definitely the TOB. What ever you do, DON'T grease or oil the TOB or the TOB sleeve. The only way to fix it is to replace the TOB. I did an entire "how to" on replacing the TOB if you decide to tackle the job yourself. Its very easy (but frustrating to only get 2k miles out of one)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can bear the noise, let it ride until it gets worse. What you're hearing is definitely the TOB. What ever you do, DON'T grease or oil the TOB or the TOB sleeve. The only way to fix it is to replace the TOB. I did an entire "how to" on replacing the TOB if you decide to tackle the job yourself. Its very easy (but frustrating to only get 2k miles out of one)

Thanks for the reply! Yes, know doubt I'm upset that after only 2k miles the tob is making noise. Heck the only reason I had to replace and upgrade the clutch was because I was hearing a rattling sound inside the bellhousing. I thought maybe it was a broken sleeve. Turns out it was my oem flywheel. Otherwise the tob was still silent. Until I replaced it with a ford racing HD.

If you can show me a link on the write-up of replacing tob that would be great! I've never tackled this before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread