Yet another thread about live-axle swap

RioRed4v

Established Member
sorry for not searching, i'm sure it has been covered before.

right now a couple are wanting to swap their live-axle for my IRS.

but the cars are both fox bodies.

what kind of problems will this create and would it be easier to wait for a 99+ car.

are the fox body axles the same as the 94-98 style?? a few inches shorter and all??

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
I believe the fox bodies and the sn95 use the same axle. Not sure about the IRS fitting up into a fox body though... Might need more research on that.
DS will need to be different because of lengths. I don't think you can use their DS because of different year transmissions.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by stang99svt
I believe the fox bodies and the sn95 use the same axle. Not sure about the IRS fitting up into a fox body though... Might need more research on that.
DS will need to be different because of lengths. I don't think you can use their DS because of different year transmissions.

you can just swap the front yokes of the drive shafts, and rear yokes if necessary, just requires changing u joints...so that wouldn't be a prob...but personally, for less problems, and for a rear that has less wear, i'd wait for a 99+....

RioRed4v

Established Member
so lets say IF i decide to go with the fox 8.8 for my car.

ALL it would require is the changing of driveshafts yokes??

99SVTAddict

Established Member
Not sure here, but I thought on another post I read that the pre 99 solid axles will be about 1.5 inches shorter per side....that means your wheels are going to be tucked in a bit...:shrug:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by RioRed4v
so lets say IF i decide to go with the fox 8.8 for my car.

ALL it would require is the changing of driveshafts yokes??

i don't know if i would simplify it that much, but that would definitely be ONE of the thing you'd have to do....i strongly suggest swapping w/ a 99+ though...

RioRed4v

Established Member
yea, i think i just decided to wait until i can find a 99+ car.

for one i dont want my wheels to be tucked in, and two, i don't want any unknown complications.

thanks for the help guys.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by RioRed4v
yea, i think i just decided to wait until i can find a 99+ car.

for one i dont want my wheels to be tucked in, and two, i don't want any unknown complications.

thanks for the help guys.

i also noticed that my wheels now sit at least .5"-1" further out on each side than they did w/ the IRS.....maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but other people said they see it too....

RioRed4v

Established Member
so if i went with a fox or 94-98 setup, then the wheels would be sitting about the same??

i dont really need my wheels to be sticking out anymore..lol

do you have any pictures??

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
the 94-98 is about 1.5 inches shorter on either side and the Fox rear is about .5 inch shorter.. That is what I have been told. I would just wait for the 99+ to swap.. I ran across a swap fairly soon after I got my 99. I miss the handling, but I will fix that in time.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I just noticed that you are in Phx. What area do you live in? I lived in Tempe and Chandler for about 2 1/2 years while I was in College. I miss it out there sooo bad.

Neko

THE ANTI-RICE
Established Member
shut it hippie, we will go back before to long, lol. but snowboardin is first :rockon:

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by Tony 96 Cobra
I just noticed that you are in Phx. What area do you live in? I lived in Tempe and Chandler for about 2 1/2 years while I was in College. I miss it out there sooo bad.

i live right on the scottsdale/phoenix border.

Tatum and Bell Rd.....???

Tatum and 101 would be more major of cross-streets.

Its alright out here, only been living here about 7 months, and I moved from Vegas. More than likely I will be moving back to Vegas once my apt. lease is up.

Neko

THE ANTI-RICE
Established Member
found somene on dfwstangs that has a mach one, with 900 miles lookin to trade for IRS. i know its a long way. but figured i would just throw it in anyways.:shrug:

RioRed4v

Established Member
yea, i'll check in to it.

its a little further than i would like to venture unfortunately.

thanks for the heads up though.

Users who are viewing this thread