Yet another reason to dislike wallmart

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Some retailers inflate costs to ship to APO addresses | Stars and Stripes

Some retailers inflate costs to ship to APO addresses
By Mark Patton, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Wednesday, December 16, 2009
WIESBADEN, Germany — Overseas military customers ordering gifts online from certain retailers might get an unpleasant surprise when shipping and handling fees are tacked on at the end of the purchase.

Those same customers might be most surprised to find that retail giant Walmart had the biggest markup.

On a $120 purchase, Walmart.com charged $10.35 to ship to an APO address, compared with $2.10 to a stateside address. For most items, Amazon.com charged the same to ship to an APO address as a stateside address. And Target offered shipping on a $120 purchase to an APO address for less than to a stateside address.

Wal-Mart Inc. officials did not return calls requesting an interview. However, in an e-mailed response, spokesman Ravi Jariwala said: “In your shopping cart during the checkout process, we show an estimated shipping cost, based on our lowest-price shipping method and assuming all items in your cart are going to a single address within the contiguous United States. If you select a different shipping method, a military APO/FPO address or an address outside the contiguous United States, your actual shipping cost may be higher. We continue to work with carriers to negotiate favorable shipping rates.”

But Earl Small, the postmaster at Wiesbaden Army Airfield, said that the shipping and handling charges have nothing to do with the military postal system or the U.S. Postal Service.

“A company can charge whatever they want,” said Small, who explained that items up to 108 inches are normally shipped at normal cost, but larger items often fall under a more expensive “balloon charge.”

According to Small, when companies ship to APO addresses in Europe, the order is shipped to New York, after which the Department of Defense picks up the tab to get the package to an APO address.

On Walmart.com, the company says shipping costs will be higher to APO addresses due to higher transportation costs.

“There is no higher transportation costs,” Small said. “Companies are abusing the system and making a killing.”

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
hmmmm, another reason to FORK Wally world..

besides, it's cheaper to shop at the NEX than Wal Mart 99.99% of the time, and you can shop the online NEX (Navy Exchange) as well.. (or AFEES as well)

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
i already hate wal-mart. they are **** sucking bastards that love selling garbage chinese made shit to everyone living in a trailer.

i would classify this as reason to bomb your local wal-mart. i cannot believe a company would try to make a profit over shipping items to deployed soldiers. notice i said company. the fact that wal-mart is doing this comes as no surprise as they are the worst chain of stores ever made.

but, if you're looking to meet your future trailer trash with parkinsons disease wife, it may just be the place for you. lol.

Last edited:

mach1gsxr

Established Member
I shop wal-mart....about once a year to buy oil. The motorcraft oil is about 1/2 of what auto zone charges so I stock up on it. Other than that, they can go to hell. Target ftw.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I shop wal-mart....about once a year to buy oil. The motorcraft oil is about 1/2 of what auto zone charges so I stock up on it. Other than that, they can go to hell. Target ftw.

+1, ****ing bastards have the lowest priced oil...otherthan that they have shitty lines, horrible customer service and people w/ B.O.!!:pepper:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
i would classify this as reason to bomb your local wal-mart.

I just sent your opinion to Home Land Security.
Department of Homeland Security | Preserving our Freedoms, Protecting America

The very fact that you call for the bombing a WalMart retail establishment is nothing less than an act of terrorism. Do you realize that many Americans work in these stores, and others (such as me) buy oil and toilet paper in these stores? They will be in touch with you.

Home Land Security will need to know if you are a member of Al-Qaeda? Are you a terrorist?

You should have your facts in order before the Federal Agents visit your home.

Your mastery of the written English language tells me that you are nothing but a coward foreign-born terrorist.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I just sent your opinion to Home Land Security.
Department of Homeland Security | Preserving our Freedoms, Protecting America

The very fact that you call for the bombing a WalMart retail establishment is nothing less than an act of terrorism. Do you realize that many Americans work in these stores, and others (such as me) buy oil and toilet paper in these stores? They will be in touch with you.

Home Land Security will need to know if you are a member of Al-Qaeda? Are you a terrorist?

You should have your facts in order before the Federal Agents visit your home.

Your mastery of the written English language tells me that you are nothing but a coward foreign-born terrorist.

Srsly?

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh please..

You don't really think he's going to "bomb Walmart", do you? :rollseyes

That is what he stated. I think he is a terrorist that wants to kill all of us hard working Americans.

He posted his statement in clear but poor and broken English. I have already received a confirmed reply from Home Land Security.

You just don't state this type of opinion unless you really mean to do harm to American citizens.

cobra_matt

Established Member
That is what he stated. I think he is a terrorist that wants to kill all of us hard working Americans.

He posted his statement in clear but poor and broken English. I have already received a confirmed reply from Home Land Security.

You just don't state this type of opinion unless you really mean to do harm to American citizens.

buzzkillington.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

Hey Rookie,

I found a picture of you without your Hypertrophic scar tissue. I will not even mention your abdminal pedicile flap applied to the dorisum of your face. Your island pedicile should be attached to your vascular pedicle.

dirt.jpg

Nonetheless, a threat to bomb a U.S. business is a serious problem.
Doc

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I shop at walmart because their chinese made shit they sell me is cheaper than all the other stores chinese made shit, I go where I save money instead of waste it.

I dont shop at places to look cool, im buying toilet paper, food, and shampoo, everyone here acts like they are better than everyone else, and wont step foot in Wal-mart, but I bet you all still go in there. Everyone on the internetzzzz is so high and mighty these days...

djom1cincy

Established Member
I wouldn't go into a wal-mart if you gave me a 500$ gift card. I'd rather pay a few dollars more at a different store than step foot into wally world. I see enough trash walking around on the street that I dont want to shop in confined spaces with them as well.

venmos1

Established Member
i shop there quite a bit. i live in a small area with little options. and to be honest its the cheapest around, and thats really what matters to me right now. but i do shop online as much as possible. i cannot believe how much walmart marks up products (im sure MANY other stores do this too). i purchased a 50 ft ethernet cord at walmart for $30. i looked online (walmart.com) and the same cord was listed for $12.98. got it shipped to my door for under $15. i def returned the other one. shouldnt be allowed to mark things up that much. but it doesnt surprise me much. look at all these "sales" for hollidays. just shows you how much things are marked up for "non-hollidays".

Users who are viewing this thread