Yes another set of springs on the Boss

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Thanks I think. The reason I asked the question is to take advantage of any possible improvements I can make to compensate for my inexperience. I was with an instructor and felt that all went well. Please be easy on me here. I did not come in here like I knew everything. The bottom line is I am not going to put the stock springs back in but instead use the car as is and ask for humble advise. And btw thank you!

i/we are not trying to beat you up. we are trying to warn you off potential unhappiness from too much enthusiasum.

above you say the improvements can compensate for your inexperience. it cant. which is why i say slow down.

the reverse is true. you cant properly use the improvements to the car til you are close to maxxing out the initial equipment. you need to be comfortable with the car and comfortable with your driving before you make your car handle better.

example from my own driving. my current race doesnt have a splitter and a tall wing on it. it also has the grand am spec koni dampers rather than the reserve cannister dynamics dampers which are better.

i need to push my car closer to the edge of its capabilities before adding the wing or the dampers would improve the car at all. i need to excede the capabilities of the current setup first. once i excede the ability of the current package, i will be able to tell if adding the aero package is adding speed or not.

you are not doing that yet. one step at a time.

cobra1718

Established Member
I thought it would be a necessity to do the relocation brackets on the lowered car? Some of your opinion is flawed. If I could improve braking by adding SS line brake lines or better brake pads and that us not good? Don't mod the vehicle because of inexperience when that modification may help my safety? So back to the original question, will the Strano LCA brackets require a different LCA?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I thought it would be a necessity to do the relocation brackets on the lowered car? Some of your opinion is flawed. If I could improve braking by adding SS line brake lines or better brake pads and that us not good? Don't mod the vehicle because of inexperience when that modification may help my safety? So back to the original question, will the Strano LCA brackets require a different LCA?

better brake lines are for safety. do it. it wont change how your car handles. the brake pads question depends on your tire choice which should depend on your experience level.

the stock lower control arms are not in any way inferior safety wise to any of the aftermarket choices.

i am trying to help. did you see cloud9 who said he as an experienced track driver ran his new boss a full year of track laps before making a single change?

spend your money on seat time.

thats my advice. do with it what you wish. enjoy your car

Last edited:

cobra1718

Established Member
Thanks I know you are trying to be helpful. But I will need to adjust the car since I made the spring change. From what I have read here it's advantageous to add adjustable LCA on the now lowered car. I too agree that I need seat time. I don't expect to make anymore mods but correct any damage I have done. I'm just gonna leave as is with exception of improved braking.

Last edited:

ihatepotholes

Established Member
Thanks I know you are trying to be helpful. But I will need to adjust the car since I made the spring change. From what I have read here it's advantageous to add adjustable LCA on the now lowered car. I too agree that I need seat time. I don't expect to make anymore mods but correct any damage I have done. I'm just gonna leave as is with exception of improved braking.

did you use the stock strut mounts or did you upgrade to the gt500 ones?

cloud9

Established Member
Here are a couple threads that you should read through. Most of the changes that were made or being discussed were the result of advice from Ford Racing, and they know a thing or two about designing suspension kits for tracked or raced Mustangs.

I did what I said I wouldn't - suspension parts are in route

Ford Racing Suspension Upgrades

ORANGE CRUSH

Bayou City Terminator
Established Member
Yes, this is all good advice. When I first tracked my Boss it was faster then me. After a few track weekends under my belt I slowly became faster than my Boss, so now i am modifiying it. I am pretty much sticking to what Cloud9 and others are doing with Ford recomedations. This has improved the handling of the car greatly. Good luck!

cloud9

Established Member
Straight bolt in? Seems odd as even the weld in ones were getting bent with some of the S197s. Maybe Ford's design is better? :shrug:
Most of the ones I saw being bent were on GT500s with 600+ rwhp doing hard launches on M/Ts at the drag strip. That's a whole different dynamic than on a road course with 400 rwhp hard accelerating from 3rd and 4th gears.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Straight bolt in? Seems odd as even the weld in ones were getting bent with some of the S197s. Maybe Ford's design is better? :shrug:
Straight bolt-on like cloud9 stated. Mine are being installed this week and I'm not welding them. See the photo below for the 302S assembly line. Note the RLCA's should be mounted in the upper hole not the lower one and that might help with the bending.

fordmustangboss30214.jpg

65sohc

Established Member
No flames, please, as this is something that has been practiced since time immemorial, but has anyone ever tried cutting a coil off the rear springs to even out the stance?

ORANGE CRUSH

Bayou City Terminator
Established Member
No flames, please, as this is something that has been practiced since time immemorial, but has anyone ever tried cutting a coil off the rear springs to even out the stance?

I thought about it but really just wanted a little stiffer sping for the track and to lower it a bit.

65sohc

Established Member
Which is what cutting off a coil would do. I haven't seen what the springs look like (getting car tomorrow, won't sleep tonight) so I don't know if removing a coil would cause the spring not to seat properly. Rear springs are easy. I'd rather not disturb the front and have to go through alignment and geometry issues.

cobra1718

Established Member
I am not a fan of cutting coils. I have tried it on a different car 01 Cobra. Terribe ride. Dont know how the Boss would react. But a 40K+ car it deserves a good set of springs

cloud9

Established Member
I am not a fan of cutting coils. I have tried it on a different car 01 Cobra. Terribe ride. Dont know how the Boss would react. But a 40K+ car it deserves a good set of springs
I was going to say the same thing. A set of FRPP M-5300-P springs like I have on my car were only $166. That's a couple tanks of gas.....

65sohc

Established Member
I was going to say the same thing. A set of FRPP M-5300-P springs like I have on my car were only $166. That's a couple tanks of gas.....

I got my car today and experienced 3 1/2 hours of California tar strips and expansion joints on the drive home. I sure wouldn't want it any stiffer. If those springs truly maintain a decent ride that's what I'll do. I just don't want to go down the same road I did with my GT500 where the Griggs components made it unlivable.

65sohc

Established Member
It's not an issue of money. Springs are cheap. I'd just rather not molest the front suspension if not necessary.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
What's your goal? Improved track performance or lowering your car for looks? For performance try the Ford Racing M-5300-P springs and if you just want to lower it wait for FR to come out with their Boss lowering springs which should be soon. The P springs will stiffen up the ride more than the stock springs and the lowering springs are supposed to be very close to the stock ride.

65sohc

Established Member
I just want to lower it with similar spring rate so it sounds like the upcoming lowering springs should do the trick. I drove it today for the first time in my normal habitat and it was spectacular. My conclusion is that California has some of the worst highways in the country. Not the car's fault.

Users who are viewing this thread