Yep, another clutch question...

Ian_V

Hey everyone, new on this forum so hello! I have read a lot of good stuff on here before joining! Hopefully some of you can understand my problem and lend some advise! This is a long write up so be patient. Quick history, my car is a 2014 GT that has some bolt ons and is making 440whp and 400wtq and that is probably where it will stay until I win the lottery. I bought the car brand new and it currently has 35k miles on it.

Last summer, I installed long tubes and wanted a better clutch since the stock one would stick to the floor at high rpm and has the same issues everyone else has had with the stock clutch. Since my car is a summer daily and only goes to a track event for 1 weekend every summer, I didn't want to put in a super aggressive clutch. I went with a SPEC Stage 1 organic disc and their matching SPEC steel flywheel and a new OEM Ford throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Install went fine, but from the second I moved the car out from my shop, I started to second guess my purchase. I HATE trash talking companies or products but this clutch has made me hate my car and before I spend a ton of cash and time on a new replacement I wanted to ask everyone on here for some opinions. Clutch currently has about 1500 miles on it and these are my complaints...

1. The point in the pedal travel when the clutch starts to bite and move the car is honestly terrible. The pedal comes up half way from the floor before anything happens and the clutch engages like a on-off switch. The stock clutch would be a lot more linear of an engagement and I did enjoy that. The pedal effort is more with the SPEC and I understand with any upgraded clutch that will be normal, but this pedal is HEAVY even with the factory assist spring still in place. My Termi had a lighter clutch pedal with an aftermarket clutch.

2. This clutch would shutter the car when accelerating from a stop something terrible! It has gotten better with some break in miles on it but still does it. And yes, all parts were cleaned up well before any were installed.

3. When driving at 55-65mph in 6th, this clutch is the loudest part of the car. It sounds like every bearing in the transmission is shot. Accelerate up to 70+ and the noise goes away, but on roads with 55 or 60 speed limits, I almost have to drive it in 5th because the clutch groaning noise is so bad in 6th.

Overall I am not happy with anything about this clutch. I went with a mild Stage 1 organic disc so I would not have to deal with an overly aggressive clutch but this thing behaves like a puck clutch trying to hold huge power. SPEC only warranties these things for 90 days and I understand that they will likely tell me I am fu***d.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with the Spec Stage 1 or is mine just an oddball? I understand there are some sacrifices with performance clutches, but this thing makes me think I have sacrificed all of my children and it still isn't enough. So... do I need to put a few more miles on it and hope for the best? Should I say to hell with it and try a different brand? The biggest things I would like is a smoother engagement as the pedal comes off the floor, doesn't need to be like the stock clutch, but I don't want it to be a switch. Also the driveline groaning noise is horrendous. No one in my area has any 5.0s with upgraded clutches so I have no idea where to start with choosing a different brand. Any advise or suggestions would be a big help, because I don't really want to keep trying clutches until I find something I am happier with. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I cant speak on the spec clutch you used. But typically alot of the new performance clutches will give some ON/Off feeling and sometimes chatter. They also tend to change the point of release in the pedal. As far as performance clutches go i cant recommend one that i think you would like. Maybe someone else with experience on different clutches on your yr.

If you did enjoy the way the factory clutch felt and drove. I would recommend going with the complete boss clutch setup. It would feel similar to your factory clutch but would be better for the power that you added to your vehicle and less likely to stick as it was designed for higher revs of the boss motor.

cobracide

Established Member
Your clutch will break in and be less "switch like", Give it 500 miles.

Get a dual disk for a lighter pedal to handle high horsepower. McLeod RXT comes to mind.

Shudder on acceleration? Sounds like it's not adjusted right or a bearing is shot.

Ian_V

Only shutter in it is when you release the pedal and the clutch starts to engage when the car is stationary. Once fully engaged, it holds strong and shifts fine. I know a little shutter is to be expected on brand new stuff, and it has gotten better after the first 1500ish miles on it, but it still does it. It does not do it nearly as bad starting from a stop in 2nd with more of a load on it. I'm just not sure if it needs some more miles to wear in and build up a better surface on the flywheel and pressure plate or what. I feel the miles I have on it should be enough for it to be worn in but maybe not.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Only shutter in it is when you release the pedal and the clutch starts to engage when the car is stationary. Once fully engaged, it holds strong and shifts fine. I know a little shutter is to be expected on brand new stuff, and it has gotten better after the first 1500ish miles on it, but it still does it. It does not do it nearly as bad starting from a stop in 2nd with more of a load on it. I'm just not sure if it needs some more miles to wear in and build up a better surface on the flywheel and pressure plate or what. I feel the miles I have on it should be enough for it to be worn in but maybe not.
Typically break in is 500 mixed driving miles on a clutch.

Ian_V

Typically break in is 500 mixed driving miles on a clutch.
Yep, that is what a lot of people are saying/recommending. With 3 times that, I feel that it has had enough use to break in enough. It has gotten better, I just don't want to hate every minute of this car over the summer just hoping it will become easier to use.

SVOGT302

Established Member
Premium Member
I also installed the Spec Stage 1 & yes it sucks with everything you mentioned. The chatter will eventually minimize but it takes a few thousand miles. It can be noisy under 2K so you always have to keep it in a lower gear.
It is also very grabby when inching the car up.
Next time I'll go Exedy.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Ian_V

I also installed the Spec Stage 1 & yes it sucks with everything you mentioned. The chatter will eventually minimize but it takes a few thousand miles. It can be noisy under 2K so you always have to keep it in a lower gear.
Next time I'll go Exedy.
Next time I'll go Exedy.

Well I guess I am kind of glad I am not the only one with these kinds of issues. I'll run it a little more this summer and hope it gets a little more user friendly. Thanks for the reply!

SVOGT302

Established Member
Premium Member
I know what you mean that it certainly takes the joy out of driving it. My friend put a Spec Stage 2 in his SVO & he has no problems with it. He claims no adverse issues like mine.
It's almost like the Spec Stage 1 is a Stage 4, etc.
I hope yours mellows out...

Users who are viewing this thread