Yellowing on 95R shock towers solved??

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I was talking to one of the core members of this forum and we were discussing our thoughts on the yellowing issue on the top of the 95R shock towers. The thing that has been puzzling is that out of all of the hot engine compartment, it is only on the shock towers where yellowing occurs, why?

His theory was that "possibly" the large rubber donut on the top of the strut in the caster camber area "might" emit some sort of chemical, maybe even something used during its production? These donut/insulators are sandwiched under the nut and washer assy., maybe heat affects them and this yellowing occurs over time. Why some 95R's and not other? There could be a wide range of suppliers of these donuts across the Ford spectrum. He also mentioned how a similar yellowing occurs on "some" vehicles where a weather strip (rubber also) contacts the body. My parents came over in their Expedition today and as they were getting ready to leave, I noticed something, a pefectly good original white paint with perfect clearcoat, and yellowing. The exact same kind of yellowing as seen on some 95R's, Hummmm.

The first picture is where the door seal touches the body............

Picture1190-2.gif

This second picture is where the body seal touches the door.............

Picture1191.gif

No, there is not the intense heat in the door jamb area as there would be under a hood, but the yellowing is also not as severe. The clearcoat in both of these areas is perfect all the way around the door, and the yellowing would not remove.

This is just a thought.^^^^

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Has anyone ever seen a regular white 94-95 Cobra with this yellowing?

My other 95's are black, but that is a good question. Another interesting item are these strut covers that are listed in the Ford Parts Computer, but as far as I know never made it on to assy. line cars.<<But I am not sure about this.

If I remember correctly, they are listed for 94-96 Mustang. I like them because the give a finished look in this area on the black cars and they are Ford items.

2TopPhotoShoot070-1.gif

I do not know of Ford "dressing up" any other struts on any other Ford cars. I wonder why these strut covers were designed? :shrug:

Picture1191-2.gif

R

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
good theory, I've seen the yellowing where rubber or weatherstripping has been in contact with white paint on other vehicles as well....

Users who are viewing this thread