Year Specific? (Valve Covers)

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
I've been looking for a replacement for my drivers side valve cover (Since my original has a chunk of timing chain hanging out of it). I have a 1999 Cobra and I'd like to keep the stock look under the hood. My wrench told me that he could patch the valve cover, but I'd love to find a replacment (Not nuts about having a visible scar on my engine).
Question is, do I have to find a 1999 Valve cover or are other Cobra Valve covers the same?

:shrug:

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Nope 99 + cobras have coil on plug and 98 and down have plug wires they have different plug/ wires covers. I don't know if you could get a 98 or earlier valve cover and just get a 99+ coil on plug cover for it.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
blown01cobra said:
Nope 99 + cobras have coil on plug and 98 and down have plug wires they have different plug/ wires covers. I don't know if you could get a 98 or earlier valve cover and just get a 99+ coil on plug cover for it.

no they're not interchangeable....the 98's plug wires come in through a notch over the numbers 1 and 5 cylinders, the 99 up have a notch at the rear of the engine for the wire harness to pass through...and the 98's use nuts i think to retian the covers, while 99 ups have bolts....you need 99 up covers (cobra or mach)...

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
Okay, so a 99 - 04 valve cover would work? As far as aftermarket, I'm just kind of hoping to retain the stock look. (At least for now). But if this isn't possible and I can't find a fit, what do you guys suggest?

green99_svt

Established Member
dont be affraid of one off a mach one or a maurader. you can always paint it to match? or get both in black?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
yeah, here is the 96-98 cover:

6582-7.jpg

the 99-up is VERY different...

Users who are viewing this thread