y do 98 cobra's pull so hard???

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
From everything i've seen the 96-98's are not faster than the 99/01. It takes a little more skill to launch the IRS but the 99/01 is faster. I think it is all in your head.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i read on corral about a guy with a 98 who kept going to the track bone stock too see what he could get out of it once he learned how to drive it. he eventually ended up with a 13.1, bone stock. i didnt see it so i cant say if its true or not but that's how the story goes.

duane v

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
i read on corral about a guy with a 98 who kept going to the track bone stock too see what he could get out of it once he learned how to drive it. he eventually ended up with a 13.1, bone stock. i didnt see it so i cant say if its true or not but that's how the story goes.
I did a best 13.2 @103 mph with only 17 inch BFG DR's and a C&L MAF in me 98 SVT 4V'r...And it still didnt feel fast :shrug: ...DA snake boy!!!

LaserCobra 98

Established Member
My 98 with exhaust, gears, and DR's went 13.35 @ 105 with a 2.02 short time. I knew I had a good run going because I felt what traction was for the first time.

It was a really odd sensation. I hope I can feel it again one day.

Anyone have a set of Nittos I can bum? :-D

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
The IRS just makes it "feel" like it isn't pulling as hard ... Much much smoother on the '99

QU!CK

Bite The Bullitt...
Established Member
On the road again...just can't wait to get on the
That's strange, people are saying that the 96-98's they've driven all pull harder than the 99's and 01's but I had a different experience. Last year when I test drove a 99 it seemed to pull harder than the 96 I had tested the day before. I'm pretty sure both cars had a cat-back on them (flowmaster for the 96, not sure what the 99 was though). I launched both cars the same (around 3k) but stayed on the loud pedal a little longer with the 99 but it may have had more than just the cat-back since there was a very noticable difference in the way the two cars pulled?

-J

badboycali_559

Established Member
98 feels like they pull harder, they scream and put u bak in the seat when ur drivin them, my s/c'd 99 has a smooth ride, no fallin bak in teh seat, goin 120 feels 60, in the 98 u feel ur goin 100 when doin 60, i guess its teh irs.

Ahbeng

Established Member
Ditto the impression. tested a '98 and a '99 vert back to back and the '98 felt faster. but the '99 felt more held together and had only 19k miles on it so i got it. is the feel purely because of the irs? the front of the '98 seemed to rise more than the '99, so i attributed the feel to that.

badboycali_559

Established Member
i belive they r lighter, bout 170lbs and also i've a vert so its even more heavier. i would love my car if it felt like a 98, 4.30's with live axle swap comin soon in my car, will see wat happens after that.

Users who are viewing this thread