Xtian's Street CPR MT82 Stock Motor build From Paxton to Turbo

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Xtian's Street CPR MT82 Stock Motor build From Paxton to Turbo Pics!

Excuse the long thread, this project has been gonig for over a year :eek: My goals with the car are pretty simple. Good street manners and over 135mph traps. I ditched the Paxton in order to get my powerband back, not necessarily to go faster than the Paxton. The car was already doing 134mph, which I was content with, but belt was slipping. I'm not trying to build an all out drag car, just something to have fun with.

Setup: 2013 GT Stg 1 MT82/ Ditched the RXT for an Exedy Mach 500/ Alum DS/ stock motor, billet gears, Boss IM, ID1000, BAP, Over axles/Bullet Mufflers, 19” fronts/15 ET Street S/S and Chris Holmes tuned.

Build: CPR Kit, On3 O/A, From 20's to 19" F14/ Weld RTS 15’s, gauges, coated some parts, cleaned up engine wiring and drove out to PA to get my MT82 repaired.

First I understand things happen when running a business and Dustin was able to turn things around. I was told I would get the kit in a month or two so I went ahead and sold my Paxton ( bad idea) had a non running car for 8 months. I imagine and hope by now he’s figured out his inventory/supply issues as It seems others are getting their kits.

Otherwise Dustin helped me out with the install and even with a lot of other unrelated stuff without hesitation. Being an obsessive gearhead I called and spoke with him many times over minor details. Every time I called he was available and I never felt rushed. I have dealt with dozens of vendors and have never gotten that service from anyone.

I originally jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Paxton from Beefcake mainly due to price. I knew I made a mistake when I took my first ride and it felt like a dog. I quickly added the Torque Booster package that made it more tolerable and a lot faster. I wouldn't recommend a Paxton without it. The car went from 128mph to 134mph traps with the tq booster. My problem was the belt started to slip, and the BOV was too loud for me. I said screw it and sold it all. I should have gone turbo to begin with since I spent about the same on the Paxton as with turbo.The Paxton did allow me to whoop ass left and right at the track, drive like stock, and was very reliable had I fixed the belt issue. Being 6 speed, the incremental boost allowed me to maintain excellent traction on a cheap 275 555r. The lack of low/mid range for daily fun wasn't for me though, maybe if I was just a track fanatic it would have been fine.

Install: It was a pain in the ass mainly because I didn't use a lift and did everything solo on my days off while having to stop to either wait on parts or instructions. A lot of areas require thermal insulation either wrap, tape, or sleeves especially the wiring near the manifolds. Regular tools are needed and I definitely recommend a powered saw of some sort for the body tabs you have to cut. The kit is well designed and ready to bolt in. You can tell everything has the right logic and is well thought out. The black finish everything comes in really makes it look cleaner and adds to the durability of the product. Welds were clean, bolt holes lined up, hardware, lines, couplers, and band clamps were great quality. On the downside the kit comes with ZERO instructions. As much as Dustin makes himself available, it makes it more difficult than it needs to be. I like reference material in front of me with instructions, tq specs, order of install, and pictures. Thankfully I've done turbo installs before and I figured a lot of it out and called him for the rest, along with some help from other CPR owners. If you've wrenched before it's not too bad, but how are you supposed to know there are some tabs and bolts to trim? Hopefully he will start throwing some instructions in as it would save a lot of time, especially for him. I have enough material and pictures to where I can come up with some if anyone needs them.

Impression: The open wastegate dump is ridiculous and louder than the exhaust itself:D The low end is much stronger than the Paxton ever was. The drive is much more enjoyable on regular duty at 3400 RPM the car passes easily under light throttle. As far as traction it's pretty good as I'm running a new 295/55/15 MT ET S/S and only 7-8psi. The turbo spools incredibly quick for such a large "appearing" snail and the sound is damn sexy. I was able to get it to the track for a little test and tune and unfortunately having a lot of tuning issues, but still did 127mph on 7psi with a 3000 DA/Mid 80's and regular shifting.

As of right now I'm having a bitch of a time with some O2 sensor issues. Tune is only supposed to use one O2 sensor, however I had reattach the 2nd wideband sensor in order for the first one to work :dw: Now I'm getting an O2 Sensor CEL. I'm ordering a new one again and waiting on Chris Holmes to finish my tune up so I can finally enjoy the damn thing. :rockon: Plans are to have it tuned on 93 and E85, although I intend to mostly run E85. I'll update with times and videos as soon as it's done.

Right before getting started with the old 20's on.

20150803_164855.jpg

Parts coming in

20150819_144516.jpg

Wrong downpipe in this pic, had to send it back for a dumped pipe.

20150819_144537.jpg

Paxton waiting for it's new owner

20150822_184803.jpg

Disassembly

20151114_171958.jpg

K Member
20151122_220355.jpg

Trash
20160111_165250.jpg

MMR OPG and Crank gear

20151205_163842.jpg

20151208_050927.jpg

Front Cover and exhaust manifolds on and wrapped.

20151212_225146.jpg

Mummified downpipe

20151219_003427.jpg

Polished compressor cover while waiting on parts

20151031_203730.jpg

Mounted turbo

20151213_235449.jpg

Downpipes in, perfect clearance

20151227_181842.jpg

Exh Manifold comparison

20151121_213800.jpg

Oil pan on, however fitting should have been welded more forward.
20151205_192607.jpg

Manifold on and 24k Dipped some parts (Tape peels off pretty easy, needed metal ties later on)
20151126_004633.jpg

Tab needs to be cut off

20151128_194526.jpg

Smile back on
20151114_180607.jpg

Wastegate ready to go on
20151215_190235.jpg

Releasing O2 Wires from harness
20160102_230942.jpg

Wiring in some gauges, cleaning up

20160201_042056.jpg

Turbo,Downpipe, Air Filter on

20151220_234222.jpg

UPR Vacuum assisted catch can setup
IMG_0883.jpg

GT500 Master
IMG_1558.jpg

Doing the trans on jackstands :bored: straight to Ben Calimer in PA
IMG_1400_1.jpg

Ditched the Mcleod RXT for an Exedy Mach 500, kept Mcleod Alum flywheel.

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

Wheels before the powdercoating

20160126_195428.jpg

Test fitting new Mickeys
20160220_201025.jpg

:rockon:
IMG_0084.jpg

19x9.5 F14's clear 15" Brembo's perfectly, Thanks to Paul @ Howey Industries.

IMG_0403.jpg

Alignment
IMG_0868.jpg

Cockpit ready
IMG_0791.jpg

Finally up and running, test and tune
IMG_1785.jpg

Engine bay finally done, for now anyways...:coolman:

IMG_2611.jpg

Last edited:

GBCoyote

Established Member
Beautiful build. I would love to swap out for a turbo, myself. Let us know when it's done being tuned and on kill with the E85, and give us an unbiased opinion on the differences between the two.

the5

Established Member
Awesome! Doing mine soon, Would you happen to have pics of the fan?

ryan03svt

Established Member
Awesome build man! I just got my CPR car back from Revolution Automotive and I love it as well. How do you like the Mickey Thompson's? I need to get a set, my 295 Nitto Invos just aren't doing the trick. First and second are useless and it will spin the top of 3rd also haha.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Beautiful build. I would love to swap out for a turbo, myself. Let us know when it's done being tuned and on kill with the E85, and give us an unbiased opinion on the differences between the two.

Thanks, sure thing.

Awesome build man! I just got my CPR car back from Revolution Automotive and I love it as well. How do you like the Mickey Thompson's? I need to get a set, my 295 Nitto Invos just aren't doing the trick. First and second are useless and it will spin the top of 3rd also haha.
Thanks! Nice Adam did a good job on my Paxton car as well, just could never get a hold of him afterwards. I would rate Invos pretty low as far as traction, even 555 Extremes hooked better than those. I also had them in 295's. The Mickeys are the nicest street/strip tire you can have in my opinion. Hooks pretty hard, I'll get some videos soon. They've done low 1.7's at the strip with stock suspension, I'm sure some shocks and lower control arms it would easily do 1.5-6's.

How is the switch from RSX to exedy mach 500

I love it due to the street manners. Much much heavier feel but engagement is very linear even with the aluminum flywheel. A lot easier on the transmission and no issues at my power level either. Can't beat it for 340 bucks.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
E85 tuning in progress, I'll be taking it to the track in a week or so to see where the traps are at. ET's won't be anything special with a 6 speed, stock suspension, and a drag radial though.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
I echo the Paxton to Turbo sentiments. Nice car. Done RIGHT. Except for the MT82 needs to be a T56 ;)

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Awesome build pretty bad ass bud!
Appreciate it!

I echo the Paxton to Turbo sentiments. Nice car. Done RIGHT. Except for the MT82 needs to be a T56 ;)

The mt82 treated me so well that I had to give it another chance... It had somewhere around 150-200 passes on it with tons of drag racing, powershifting, and on the stock clutch. If I would have changed the pressure plate sooner, it would still be in there. Once this one goes I'm going for a built 6060 with an RXT.

Last edited:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
How's the Exedy with boost? I have the same clutch and loved it with my bolt on setup but was hesitant with how it is going to be with the twins. Awesome build, I could see myself going CPR later in my cars life if I want to change things up. That kit just looks so clean and sounds sooooooo good.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
How's the Exedy with boost? I have the same clutch and loved it with my bolt on setup but was hesitant with how it is going to be with the twins. Awesome build, I could see myself going CPR later in my cars life if I want to change things up. That kit just looks so clean and sounds sooooooo good.

The way I see it is, the stock one held up well at 600+ and in the 10s. This one is much stronger and most importantly safer for the trans. I have about 15 passes on it with the CPR on pump and maybe 50 highway pulls, and it feels like new. I don't expect it to last too long though. The way Ben explained it to me is that you want a little slip to keep it from shocking the trans. For 350 Shipped I don't mind changing it again. I expect it to do fine even on E85, will report if it doesn't :rockon:

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Small update, car is running strong. Trapped 134, times are terrible ( manual and a drag radial), but I'm more concerned with the trap. Car is now strictly on E85 and I ended up running out of fuel. Chris set me up with a fuel system, put that in and now back to tuning. Getting curious so I'll hit up a Dyno day after it's tuned this time. Trying to stay away from the track as I don't have my rear diff braced or welded yet.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Small update, car is running strong. Trapped 134, times are terrible ( manual and a drag radial), but I'm more concerned with the trap. Car is now strictly on E85 and I ended up running out of fuel. Chris set me up with a fuel system, put that in and now back to tuning. Getting curious so I'll hit up a Dyno day after it's tuned this time. Trying to stay away from the track as I don't have my rear diff braced or welded yet.
You have the right idea with getting the rear welded and braced before leaning on it pretty hard. I will say get a 28" still sidewall slick for the track. It will be much easier on the drivetrain. Also, the slicks growing at the top end of the track gives you the gearing you need for 140mph traps with 3.31 gears

Users who are viewing this thread