Xpipe question: cats or no cats

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
sorry for all of the questions lately but if I indeed do the borla side exhaust kit on my 96 cobra, should I do cats or no cats on the xpipe? I like offroad because it's cheaper, but should I really get a catted xpipe?

clc44

Established Member
sorry for all of the questions lately but if I indeed do the borla side exhaust kit on my 96 cobra, should I do cats or no cats on the xpipe? I like offroad because it's cheaper, but should I really get a catted xpipe?

I just received my O/R x pipe for my Mach one. I did get the Mil Eli so the check engine light was not on. I don't see any reason to get cats unless your state does inspections.

otownpj

Established Member
i had a borla side exhaust with O/R h pipe, I didnt like the sound of the borla, I would go catless

DaBigBone

Established Member
The only reason I see to get cats would be for emissions inspections.

I don't get inspections, so I got the O/R obviously.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
I have a catted X pipe with my side exit Borlas. IMO I don't like my Borlas, a little too much of that exotic sound and not enough classic American noise. I plan on installing the 80 series same side exit Flowmasters in place of the Borla mufflers and keeping the mid pipe catted.
I don't want my car to be as loud as it was when I used to have a catless x-pipe before. I just don't like the unneeded attention on the street. If I did it again, I would have went with an H pipe to make is less like the exotic sound and more traditional. or something that is more of a cross between and H and a true X like the more expensive bassanis mid pipe.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
I have a catted X pipe with my side exit Borlas. IMO I don't like my Borlas, a little too much of that exotic sound and not enough classic American noise. I plan on installing the 80 series same side exit Flowmasters in place of the Borla mufflers and keeping the mid pipe catted.
I don't want my car to be as loud as it was when I used to have a catless x-pipe before. I just don't like the unneeded attention on the street. If I did it again, I would have went with an H pipe to make is less like the exotic sound and more traditional. or something that is more of a cross between and H and a true X like the more expensive bassanis mid pipe.

I had the catless bassani X pipe on my 99 Cobra and It sounded better than any Mustang I have ever heard. Incredibly loud though. I had the Bassani catback system on it too. I fully plan on putting that on my Bullitt.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i loved my o/r x. I even got inspected with it and that was probably through the most free flowing catback on the market, slp lm1's

Users who are viewing this thread