Xcal3, aem uego, datalogging with livelink

mr.magic

Established Member
Im trying to get tuned remotely and have been looking to see if there is a way to setup my AEM UEGO to log with my Xcal3 thru livelink. Ive been able to find bits of info here and there but nothing exact So that's left me with a few questions now. I found some info on AEM and xcal2 but when trying to search for the analog input wire for the X3 through SCT site all I see is input wires for the Xcal2. Surely they have one for X3 I'm just missing it right?? Also I'm afraid I dont understand the math for getting your AFR. The whole incept deal is a bit confusing as to why/how it works. I've seen it all over and I'm sure I can plug in the numbers like everyone else and make it work I just what to know what's going on. Last question is what wires go where/pin for datalog and how do I know for sure using a volt meter - what tells me this wire goes here or there.

Last edited:

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
yes you need live link but you also need rto build a custom .cf3 file and when you do the analog log of the aem umnit you need to set the command to the unit and apply it to the live link

mr.magic

Established Member
Ok well I'm lost due to the diagram and what I have. The diagram shows a brown wire which doesn't even exist on my uego and also its showing analog +(blue) and analog -(blue/blk) which will tie into fire wire pins 3(analog +/orange) and 4(analog -/blue)All I have from uego are a white(analog output) and a blue(serial output) so what goes where? Also how do I know exactly which pins to use? From what I've read everyone is saying pins 5/6 instead of the 3/4 shown in the diagram. Whats the voltage supposed to be and how do I ohm it out?

Finallyatermi

Established Member
Im pretty sure that it doesn't matter what pin you use as long as the pins on the firewall cable are in contact with a pin on the tuner. To make sure the cut firewall cable is the one connected to the correct pin you need to test the continuity with a multimeter. Im pretty sure your going to connect to the analog output but I would double check at the aem website. You can find all this information if you go to the forum page on the aem website.

mr.magic

Established Member
Im pretty sure that it doesn't matter what pin you use as long as the pins on the firewall cable are in contact with a pin on the tuner. To make sure the cut firewall cable is the one connected to the correct pin you need to test the continuity with a multimeter. Im pretty sure your going to connect to the analog output but I would double check at the aem website. You can find all this information if you go to the forum page on the aem website.

I just spent 3 days going through AEM's forum and there is not a damn thing in relation to SCT little long hooking it to the firewire!

This is getting ridiculous, surely someone knows how to hook the F***n thing up? I've already waisted enough wire thru trial and error and obviously the prior posters haven't done it with the blue and white wire uego so if you don't know for sure don't post!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You'll need to find out which wire is the 0-5v analog out from the wideband and hook it up to the fire wire as posted below. You might need to contact AEM to find the correct configuration formula to enter in Livelink to get the a/f to read correct.
You have a link to the w/b instructions?
FireWireAnalogWiringDiagram.jpg

mr.magic

Established Member
I've tried those configurations as well as (v*2)+10 and get nothing. The grounds are simply grounds so therefore I grounded them to the bolt on the side of the fuse panel. I've hooked both the red and orange wires to both blue and white individually from the uego and get nothing.

mr.magic

Established Member
I finally got it running guess I had a bad connection but the formula seems to be off and its swinging wildly fast all over the place.

Orange firewire to blue uego/ground blue firewire to bolt on fuse panel. Also if I disconnect the ground it still keeps reading?? the loss of signal is where i disconnected the power wire.

Screenshot-10_10_20111_18_07PM.png

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I finally got it running guess I had a bad connection but the formula seems to be off and its swinging wildly fast all over the place.

Orange firewire to blue uego/ground blue firewire to bolt on fuse panel. Also if I disconnect the ground it still keeps reading?? the loss of signal is where i disconnected the power wire.

Screenshot-10_10_20111_18_07PM.png

I would post a solution for you but being one of the prior posters you mentioned earlier you apparently think I know nothing when I am the one that posted the instructions you are now using;-)

Last edited:

mr.magic

Established Member
Yeah its real close to what I'm seeing on the gauge and I'm satisfied with it but either the formula is slightly off or one reads faster than the other.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzD4JryKzcs"]SCT livelink vs. AEM uego. - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

mr.magic

Established Member
After stareing at the video for an hr or two its obvious the sample rates from what I'm seeing on the computer screen and what the gauge is showing is definitely off a few milli secs. The question is even though what I'm seeing is different is the log itself dead on just getting *displayed* a few milli secs off?? Either way it don't matter its a few hundredths of a sec off and we're not playing with dwell times or pulse widths lol. It does however appear that even with the small deferring sample rates the AFR is off by 0.1with (v*2)+10 but again means little ta nodda.

mr.magic

Established Member
18?? No it reads the same as any other AEM uego. 11-20 on the sweep and 10.0-20.? On the digital read out. I had this same problem on my last car but I drew the readings from 2 differing points. It had an OEM WB which is what it was tuned with however 2' down stream I had a uego and due to the short distance one read faster than the other. Either way it didn't matter to the tuner as its such a small separation it was completely neg as to which we tuned with.

I get what your saying though and if you have a solution to make them exact, I'm all ears but what's to say by making the immediate read outs the same your not essentially throwing off the *real* AFR? Either way once again it wouldn't matter :).

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
v* ((hi-lo)/4)+ 10
so for you v*((20-10)/4)+10
= (v*2.5)+10

use what the actual sweep is though: for instance my wideband will read 10-10 afr supposedly, but pegs at 16.6 afr
v*((16.6-10)/4)+10
so v*1.65+10 was my perfect formula and reads in perfect time. however I do have my wideband grounded to the firewire and the firewire ground to the body.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread