x3z cobra computer?

5.0STREETBEAST

*UNDERCONSTRUCTION*
Established Member
I have a quick question for anyone out there.I got a guy that has a x3z cobra computer out of a 1993 that is in perfect condition.I have a 1990 gt will this work in my car and will it help it at all? Is the sasking price to high,he wants 140.00 for it.I need to know soon because I only have a couple of days to get it.

mustangcobra93

Established Member
The A9L is actually more aggressive than the cobra computer. I, as well as several others have taken the cobra computer out and put an A9l in its place.

jspalmer01

Established Member
mustangcobra93 said:
The A9L is actually more aggressive than the cobra computer. I, as well as several others have taken the cobra computer out and put an A9l in its place.

Sorry...not to hijack the thread but talk a little more about the advantages of the A9L. Other than more agressive tables what would a person need to do with the stock MAF? Will it even work properly? If I am not mistaken it is calibrated for 19 lb injectors (even though the car has 24's) and there is some funky processing with the cobra computer.

lone sailor

Established Member
93Cobra2771 said:
You will not notice a power increase, and unless you swap to 24# injectors, it won't work anyway...

They can be recalibrated. But I wouldn't do it anyway, the A9L is a much better prossesor.

lone sailor

Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
So will the A9L work wit the stock MAF?

An A9L is the stock prossesor for many 5 speed foxbody's. They were calibrated for 19 lb. injectors. The X3Z however, is calbrated for 24 lb. injectors since the 93' cobra is where you typically find them. So to answer your question, yes, the APL will work with the stock MAF, they came that way stock.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
Sorry...not to hijack the thread but talk a little more about the advantages of the A9L. Other than more agressive tables what would a person need to do with the stock MAF? Will it even work properly? If I am not mistaken it is calibrated for 19 lb injectors (even though the car has 24's) and there is some funky processing with the cobra computer.

In a nutshell, the A9L has a degree or two more timing at WOT, and a slightly leaner a/f at WOT.

The A9L works just fine with the stock 5.0 MAF. It will work with the 93 Cobra MAF, but you can run the risk of drivability issues, along with a leaner a/f at WOT due to the differing MAF tranfer curves between the 2 meters. However, if you do the EEC swap, YOU MUST have the correct injector, otherwise you are in for a world of crappy running.

Honestly, it isn't worth the time or effort to swap from the X3z to the A9L, or vice versa.

The OEM MAF's aren't "calibrated" to a certain size injector. They are calibrated to a specific MAF transfer curve. The transfer curves between the stock 5.0 and the stock 93 Cobra are close enough that MOST people don't have an issue swapping them out without any EEC tuning being done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread