X2 Balljoints w/ shorter end-links

WDW MKR

Established Member
What effect do the the X2 Ball Joints have on the front swaybar end-links? My car has been lowered with H&R SS springs. I have the Steeda X2 Ball Joints on order, and began to wonder about the shorter MM 4 1/2" swaybar end-links. Since the X2 joints will be moving the LCA back to an acceptable angle, does this negate the need for shorter end-links?

iismet

Established Member
X2 & 4 1/2" End Links

I just checked mine sitting in the parking lot. With the X2's, the control arm is still angled as the ball joint only displaces 1/2". The front fender lip to ground is 26". The lower you are the greater the angle. The 4 1/2" end links, with no fitting, have the Sway Bar end nearly parallel to the ground. The 4 1/2" end links will allow you to adjust the bar perfectly. Either add washers (up to the point its just too short) or cut crush tube. At the 26" ride height the stock end links would definately cause sway bar pre-load with the X2's on my car.

I read somewhere that the sway bar angle should be parallel to the line created thru the CA pivot points in the K member. This line is not parallel to the ground.

Can anyone comment on this?

iismet

Established Member
iismet said:
I read somewhere that the sway bar angle should be parallel to the line created thru the CA pivot points in the K member. This line is not parallel to the ground.

I found this at CC:

There are a couple of reasons for using the shorter endlinks if the car is lowered enough.

1) Roll stiffness linearity. When the lever arm of the swaybar is level at right height, the linearity will be best. As Jim pointed it out, it's a small difference, but everything counts.

2) Bending loads on the endlinks. As the lever arm of the swaybar becomes nonlevel, the bending load on the endlink goes way up. 3.5% may be a small percentage, but when the swaybar is as stiff as a Mustangs, the bending load is quite high. Also as the endlinks get shorter, they become less likely to bend.

3) Oilpan clearance.

With the car on level ground at ride height, run an imaginary line through the center of the swaybar pivot bushing towards the rear of the car parallel with the ground. Where this line intersects the endlink is where you want the center of the endlink bushing assembly to be. Your stock endlink assembly may be closer to the correct length than the 5-3/8". Your car's ride height is right on the edge of which is the correct model to use. You can always shorten the center section of your stock assembly to make the length exactly correct. Make sure that you have enough threads on the stud.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread