X Pipe vs. Side Exhaust ????'s

Boss949

Established Member
X Pipe vs. Side Exhaust? UPDATE

I've got a situation that demands a change.

I'm having a Griggs Torque Arm Kit installed (also the Airaid CAI/SCT AED tunes).

In order to install the Torque Arm, the side exhausts need to be blocked off or removed in favor of X mid pipe.

I really like the side exhausts, but I know that it's more of an aesthetic thing.

Anyone here changed out the quad exhaust for X pipe configuration? and if so, what do you like about it?

Thanks.

I installed the FRPP X Pipe:
First of all the quads were backfiring like a cannon after we did Cat Deletes and AED Tune.
With X pipe here are noticeable differences:
1. Idle sounds deeper (I know the H is supposed to be deeper?)
2. WOT different, much different than H pipe. I like it.
3. Performance: definitely breathes better. Acceleration is improved. I'll really be able to tell Friday Night at TMS.
4. Backfires? still does, but it is reduced by about 60% Probably the Roush mufflers with no restriction/ I can always reinstall the Stock Mufflers and probably take out all pops; but right now it's manageable.

Last edited:

GrabberOrange

Established Member
American racing headers come with an x pipe and utilize the side exhausts. Don't know if it'll work with your set up but check it out.

Boss949

Established Member
Got a slight change of plans.

We are going to delay the Torque Arm Kit. Something new is in the pipeline that "might" allow me to keep the side pipes. So, I'll wait a 2-3 weeks.

Installing the CAI/AED tune probably tomorrow.

Deranged2013

Established Member
American racing headers come with an x pipe and utilize the side exhausts. Don't know if it'll work with your set up but check it out.

ARH with the quad exits on the x is going to be my choice. Kooks makes a quad h pipe. I think these are the only two choices that allow you to keep the quad setup. Beefcake is currently running a good sale on these so now would be a good time.

Boss949

Established Member
You'll love it. Side exits are nice but only for sound. ZERO performance help

The X is on. I haven't picked it up yet, but my installer says I'm still getting nasty pops on decel? :shrug:

so, I've got Jegs Cat Deletes with the X and Roush A/B

Could it be mufflers? I don't want to reinstall the Cats...

Need suggestions.....

I haven't driven it yet. Will pick it up later today.

I picked it up; see updates at the tops.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
I have yet to see anything confirming this. And if it does give you gains, it's got to be minimal.

It is minimal, but gains nonetheless. Straight through exhaust eliminates backpressure caused by exhaust flow hitting muffler or cat baffles. That backpressure slows the exhaust process slightly, which captures a few HP in the process. Ergo, straight exhaust maximizes the system and regains those lost HP's. But only a couple.

Sometimes you will see some performance mufflers claiming a couple HP gain. It's based on this principle. So, straight exhaust does even more than that.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
It is minimal, but gains nonetheless. Straight through exhaust eliminates backpressure caused by exhaust flow hitting muffler or cat baffles. That backpressure slows the exhaust process slightly, which captures a few HP in the process. Ergo, straight exhaust maximizes the system and regains those lost HP's. But only a couple.

Sometimes you will see some performance mufflers claiming a couple HP gain. It's based on this principle. So, straight exhaust does even more than that.

Yes straight piped exhaust does free up some horsepower but I also heard that torque is decreased because of the lack of backpressure. Just like the gain of horsepower, the loss in torque too is minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread