X-pipe Vs. My stock set up

5.Ohmygod

Established Member
I just have a flowmaster axle back set up on the car as of now, wondering how big of a difference putting a x-pipe on the car would make. I've had people tell me it would most likely make no difference, and others say it would. Mostly just want a little more rumble, but also interested in the air flow of course. Would it make that big of a difference? Worth the money I guess is what I am asking.

Thanks, 5.0ohmygod

ExTurbo

Established Member
really doesnt change it much IMO unless you are removing the cats, i sold a used 5.0 with an x pipe and res deletes and it really wasnt much different than my car with the stock H and resonators, little louder is all

Zevox

Established Member
With my Magnaflow streets I put a BBK X-pipe on and it sort of changed the tone but it made it quieter. Then I cut my resonators out and had some 3" pipe welded in and it got even quieter... If it changed the tone I really couldn't tell. As far as worth the money that BBK X was only like $145 to my door so I'm sure it has at least a minor performance gain for the money.

When I switched to the MBRP cat backs I saw how crimped the stock over axles are. If you want to free up flow I might invest in over axles first.

ExTurbo

Established Member
i wouldnt do exhaust work (other than removing cats) with the intention of gaining power, really the stock exhaust does pretty well on these cars from what ive seen. If you are looking for a different sound then by all means, but i hardly think the "over the axle section" is a major restriction on a car that is normally aspirated.

5.Ohmygod

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, and another thing that ExTurbo just reminded me of, I have noticed that since I went with the Flowmaster AB's, they have made my car almost seem slower, like sluggish. Especially off the line. But overall as well. Wondering if I should just take them off

ExTurbo

Established Member
id be very surprised if you lost power with a different axleback. what seems more likely is you are getting used to the power you have, or maybe you put some bad gas in or something. if anything its 1-2hp difference and i seriously doubt you would notice that

ridenfish39

Established Member
Before I deleted my cats I had a BBK X-pipe with Hushpowers. I went back to the H-pipe after a while just to see the difference.....the h is ''choppier'' while the x smooths out the tone. The h is definitely a little bit deeper, the x had a little rasp and more high pitch. I stuck the x back on because I likes the smoothness of the exhaust with it.

5.0jake

Established Member
I just have a flowmaster axle back set up on the car as of now, wondering how big of a difference putting a x-pipe on the car would make. I've had people tell me it would most likely make no difference, and others say it would. Mostly just want a little more rumble, but also interested in the air flow of course. Would it make that big of a difference? Worth the money I guess is what I am asking.

Thanks, 5.0ohmygod

For me the roush and GT500 axle back only increased the noise but removing the cats created a noticeable increase in overall power(a more freed up feeling) and sound.

ExTurbo has the same exact 1/4 time signature along with the sad face lol.

Last edited:

ExTurbo

Established Member
For me the roush and GT500 axle back only increased the noise but removing the cats created a noticeable increase in overall power(a more freed up feeling) and sound.

ExTurbo has the same exact 1/4 time signature along with the sad face lol.

lmao ive never seen yours i promise, i went 12.996 actually so you win, although i was 113.38 :)

5.Ohmygod

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback, I really think it's the gears holding me back from the giddy up I am looking for. My buddy has a 13 with 3.73's and it is NIGHT AND DAY how much faster his car is than mine off the jump, and more responsive overall. Once I get the 3.73's in and a tune, I feel like all my problems will be resolved.

(By the way, both are auto's)

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback, I really think it's the gears holding me back from the giddy up I am looking for. My buddy has a 13 with 3.73's and it is NIGHT AND DAY how much faster his car is than mine off the jump, and more responsive overall. Once I get the 3.73's in and a tune, I feel like all my problems will be resolved.

(By the way, both are auto's)

I didn't know you had an auto. The stock auto runs good but is boring and sluggish feeling. I'd hold off on the gears and get a good tune to wake it up.

5.Ohmygod

Established Member
Think I'm gonna go with a tune, I just hate to void the warranty I have on it. (Which by the way, is that true that it will void my warranty? ) Anyways, apparently the auto tranny and motor have tons of safety features to protect it (Which isn't a bad thing, considering they were probably assuming most autos would be DD's) But I am thinking they keep the car from really opening up in certain weather or with certain gas. So I think a good tune will get all those kinks out. I'm still a rookie in the Mustang world!

Users who are viewing this thread