X-Pipe or Longtube Headers????

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
So I can't decide between getting Longtube headers or just Upr off-road X pipe
Is getting the headers worth the amount of money for the gains or am I better off getting the X-pipe and still see a decent gain in Hp
I have MBRP 3" Race Catback
I wonder how it will sound with the X-Pipe

clc44

Established Member
What are your goals? I have headers and off road X waiting for install. I'll hopefully have dyno numbers from before and after but my car ha cats atm.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
I don't think I'm going FI
I will stay all motor
Most I will get is a converter, Cobra Jet Manifold and Slicks that's about it and of course AED Tune

SCalla1384

Established Member
Just an off road x is a better bang for your buck mod. But headers will pick up quite a bit throughout the rev range. When I went from off road x to kooks headers with off road x, I picked up 7whp peak. But up to 18 whp throughout the powerband. If you want the most out of your car na, definitely go headers.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Blue is kooks 1-3/4 longtubes, off road x. Red is stock manifolds UPR Off Road x

KooksvsManifoldsSAE_zps2de336ee.jpg

Rest of supporting mods were boss ported intake mani, airaid intake, kooks axleback, stock over axle pipes, alum ds, lighter clutch assembly.

SCalla1384

Established Member
No I agree. Headers dint pick up a whole lot peak. The gains across though a very good imo. Like I said, if you're going for the most power for an na car, then headers are worth it. On a boosted car... meh. I honestly got headers more so for sound. I figured any extra power was a bonus lol

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
FWIW I went from a Lethal O/R H with stock headers to Kooks LT's and Kooks O/R H and gained over 20RWHP/20RWTQ. The gains are there.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Obviously more gains with the longtubes, but it's all up to if you can justify the cost. For me I just stuck with an O/R H and will save the money for something else

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Long tubes will bring the volume up a LOT more than the X-pipe too. Always something to consider on a car thats driven daily.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
So I can't decide between getting Longtube headers or just Upr off-road X pipe
Is getting the headers worth the amount of money for the gains or am I better off getting the X-pipe and still see a decent gain in Hp
I have MBRP 3" Race Catback
I wonder how it will sound with the X-Pipe

You'll like the OR X. It does make some sound thought so beware. It depends a lot on your mufflers but you better stay tame on those if you go OR unless you like it pretty loud. I run gt500s and OR X. It's not bad and I guess it would depend who you ask if it's loud or not. Def more bang for the buck with just OR X.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
You'll like the OR X. It does make some sound thought so beware. It depends a lot on your mufflers but you better stay tame on those if you go OR unless you like it pretty loud. I run gt500s and OR X. It's not bad and I guess it would depend who you ask if it's loud or not. Def more bang for the buck with just OR X.

Thanks Man, I went with the off-road X
I have MBRP Race Catback system, it turns a lot of heads, it's really loud but not loud enough for me, Lol
Especially when I get on it hard, it screams
I want more so eventually I will get headers with a off-road X
I like obnoxious loud
I picked up great Hp also

DaBigBone

Established Member
Thanks Man, I went with the off-road X
I have MBRP Race Catback system, it turns a lot of heads, it's really loud but not loud enough for me, Lol
Especially when I get on it hard, it screams
I want more so eventually I will get headers with a off-road X
I like obnoxious loud
I picked up great Hp also

How much power did you gain?

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Isn't there any benefit on a boosted car to install headers to help the back pressure? I had heard you can lower the boost pressure by installing headers.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Isn't there any benefit on a boosted car to install headers to help the back pressure? I had heard you can lower the boost pressure by installing headers.

any reduction in restriction will lower boost, as boost is a measure of restriction, folks get too hung up on boost numbers. You will absolutely make more power, wouldn't focus too much on boost, but rather overall performance.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Thank you. I don't really care how much boost I am running because the tune is good. Just making sure that my line of thinking was correct.

Users who are viewing this thread